Home U.S. Coin Forum

Forever stamps price increase

MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

The U.S. Postal Service will leave 50-cent forever stamps behind Jan. 27, increasing their price by 5 cents.

Though 2019 post office price changes vary by mailing service, the fees rolling out the last Sunday of the month will increase by 2.5 percent.

The most notable changes:
•First-class mail letter (1 ounce) will go up to 55 cents: The nickel increase is the largest percentage rise since 1991, when postage increased from 25 to 29 cents.
•Additional letter ounce costs will decrease: Each additional ounce will drop from 21 cents to 15 cents. Mailing a 2-ounce letter, a wedding invitation's typical weight, will cost 70 cents instead of 71 cents.
•Postcard rates will remain the same: Mailing a postcard will run travelers 35 cents.
•Priority Mail prices will jump: A small box that previously cost $7.20 will rise to $7.90, while a medium box will jump from $13.65 to $14.35.
•Priority Mail Express fees will increase: Those looking to ship an envelope ASAP can expect to pay $25.50 instead of $24.70.

https://www.baxterbulletin.com/story/news/2019/01/09/forever-stamp-price-increase-among-us-postal-service-2019-changes/2510932002/

Here is the 12 year history of Forever stamp pricing for those interested:
January 21, 2018 $0.50
January 22, 2017 $0.49
April 10, 2016 $0.47
January 26, 2014 $0.49
January 27, 2013 $0.46
January 22, 2012 $0.45
May 11, 2009 $0.44
May 12, 2008 $0.42
April 12, 2007 $0.41

Comments

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

but they have added 'forever' prepaid flat rate small boxes

• MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2019 3:50PM

@davewesen said:

Link?

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

People still use stamps?

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MorganMan94 said:

@davewesen said:

Link?

click on USPS.com

under stamps & supplies

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those increases are a hell of a lot more than 2.5%. And yeah, when you are losing volume, raising rates will not make you more competitive 😠

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Connecticoin said:
    Those increases are a hell of a lot more than 2.5%. And yeah, when you are losing volume, raising rates will not make you more competitive 😠

They are not losing volume in the only market that counts: packages.
    First class mail is a dinosaur and not profitable. They are price competitive with UPS and FedEx and package volume continues to grow.

https://facts.usps.com/table-facts/

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Connecticoin said:

I just hope that the Amazon rate on a 12 pound package drops to $1.25 as that seems only fair.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

All this time I thought the post office was shut down. lol

Price increase of forever stamp no big deal, modest compared to increase over same period for basic necessities.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those of us who remember penny post cards (yes, that is what they were called) and mailing a letter cost three cents, airmail five cents.... it is amazing to see a stamp for a letter now at fifty five cents....Dang I am getting old....Cheers, RickO

• headsplitter2headsplitter2 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

The Post Office is federal gov't, but isn't funded from the gov't. It's funded from all the postage we buy from them.

"Only 2 things are certain
    Death and Taxes" ~~ Ben Franklin
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/mint-sets/1945-mint-set/publishedset/21067
    Knutson's 45' Set 2009 Winner
  • AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you research the 'History of the Cost of Stamps' you'll find the US Post Office has been pretty reasonable over the years. I live in a small town and depend on the USPS for all my needs. FedEx lost two of my packages; one a 50" widescreen TV that was found two blocks away left at an unoccupied apartment.

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

USPS and Military. Best of government.
    Downsize the rest!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    Surprise!

;)

That's a whole nuther ball of armadillo. :)

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    I bought this sheet of Forever stamps the other day, looked so cool I decided to keep it.

I saved a sheet of those also. They also came in blue.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    The U.S. Congress is to blame for the very bad position that the USPS continues to be in. not only does the USPS receive NO Government funding like headsplitter stated, but around 2005 the Congress mandated that the USPS fund its pension through 2075 within a five-year period.

Yes the burdensome pension contributions (or timeframe, anyway) are killing the USPS. One of my PO guys said Congress, after requiring that all that pension money be funded, then went out and spent the cash and replaced it with IOUs, like they have done with Social Security.

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll get both colors tomorrow :)

@JBK said:

@Bullsitter said:
    I bought this sheet of Forever stamps the other day, looked so cool I decided to keep it.

• MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebeav said:
    I bought 8 coils today, 800 stamps.
    How else can you make 10% on your money overnight ?

Buy it January 26th :p

• OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2019 9:07PM

My business mails hundreds of flat envelopes each year ranging from 3 ounces to 13 ounces. With the 2nd ounce rate going down from 21 to 15 cents per ounce I will actually save money on postage this year. B)

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

That armadillo is pretty amusing!

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@Bullsitter said:

Me too...I thought they were cool.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MorganMan94 said:

@thebeav said:

I wouldn't wait to the last minute. Some post offices could run out of stamps.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@MorganMan94 said:

@thebeav said:

I wouldn't wait to the last minute. Some post offices could run out of stamps.

who still goes to the PO for their stamps? Do it online for $1.25 per order...no standing inline. :)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still have a few of the first forever stamps. This means I'm not paying a higher price, yet. Buy, buy, buy. They're like saving's bonds :blush:

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MorganMan94 said:

@AlexinPA said:
    If you research the 'History of the Cost of Stamps' you'll find the US Post Office has been pretty reasonable over the years. I live in a small town and depend on the USPS for all my needs. FedEx lost two of my packages; one a 50" widescreen TV that was found two blocks away left at an unoccupied apartment.

Not meant to bash USPS as they are very affordable and reliable in my opinion. Just a heads up to members so if they need stamps soon they can get them before the increase.

Also, If you have a BJs Club nearby, they sell them cheaper than the Post Office, not a lot cheaper but still cheaper. :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

@MorganMan94 said:

@AlexinPA said:

Not meant to bash USPS as they are very affordable and reliable in my opinion. Just a heads up to members so if they need stamps soon they can get them before the increase.

Also, If you have a BJs Club nearby, they sell them cheaper than the Post Office, not a lot cheaper but still cheaper. :smile:

Costco also sells stamps in packs of 100 for a little below face value.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file