Home U.S. Coin Forum

FUN: A dollar, a Thaler, and pickles

messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got back from 2 1/2 days at the FUN show this morning. A good time, as always. I got to meet up with the usual band of VAMpires while there, as well as some I hadn't met before, saw a lot of familiar faces from here, and met a few for the first time, including, but probably not limited to @Insider2 and @ponderit. The PCGS luncheon was good (with one well-discussed exception), and I got to finally meet and chat with @BrettPCGS and @HeatherBoyd. VAM Thing XVI on Friday included a rather detailed presentation on the goings on at the San Francisco mint when the first Morgans were made in April 1878, prepared by Pete Burchfield and @Regulated, an intro to Seated dollars by Dick Osburn, and some annual awards. The table I was camped at for the show was right next to Kagin's, which for an hour or so on Saturday, turned into a VAMpire hangout, with a few of us passing around and analyzing 1878-S dollars with David. While hanging out there, I spotted a coin that would fit in my Prime Number Set -- a 1613/2 Teutonic Order Thaler and struck a deal to bring it home.

The dollar I picked up from @segoja was also for my set, but the more recent end of it. A nice, flashy 1973 clad Ike in 65 with a QA sticker.

I did the grading challenge ATS, and got a souvenir Florida quarter. I found out at 3 on Saturday that I finished in the top 10 in the grown-ups division, but I don't know where I finished or what the other fabulous prize was. The coins in the challenge were quite varied, US, foreign, errors, problems.

Pickles? Indeed! Those of you who wandered into the "cheap seats" (budget section) may have noticed a bunch of jars of pickles at Doc's Coins' table. They are not just any pickles. They are "Doc & Lulu's Sweet & Spicy Polish Dills." Well worth the investment. I opened the jar Saturday around lunchtime and shared with whomever wanted one. Two "best pickle ever" comments from the Kagin's table. They elevated the convention center hot dogs such that one didn't mind that it took forever for the vendor to prepare their epicurean masterpieces by carefully placing a hand-selected, steamed tube steak into a presumably artisanal bun that apparently needed time to breathe and acclimate to its paper serving dish for a while before it was deemed suitable for use, much as one allows a big red wine to "open up" before serving. Rumor has it that Doc and Lulu will have pickles in Baltimore.

Upon returning home this morning, it was time to take my daughter back to Champaign, IL, for her last semester there. Maybe I'll unpack tomorrow.

Comments

• BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could only imagine a bite, a big sneeze, and future black spots on any coins within a 10 foot radius. Thanks for the report!

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BlindedByEgo said:
    I could only imagine a bite, a big sneeze, and future black spots on any coins within a 10 foot radius. Thanks for the report!

The real reason for slabs.

Thanks for the report, John. enjoyed reading about the show

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

initially, was afraid to know how pickles and coins were in the same title but am glad to see it spiced up the dogs... LOL. Thanks for the FUN show report.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good report... especially the pickle part.... First show report I have ever read here that included pickles... :D By the way, they do look good...Pickles are a favorite snack for me...
    That Thaler is an interesting and attractive coin...Might have to look around for one of those ... I do have an interest in such things. Cheers, RickO

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hummmm...your table, or the table with the pickles was diagonally across from mine. I was offered the last pickle and passed.....sounds like stupid me!

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

Just a coincidence that this coin has "VSS"? ;)

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hallco said:

@messydesk said:

Just a coincidence that this coin has "VSS"? ;)

Not my primary reason for buying it, but it did push it squarely into the, "it's fate that I own this" category.

• ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you had fun...thanks for the post!

K

ANA LM
  • RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

We should set up next to one another more often, although I'm getting sucked into the VAM vortex...

David McCarthy - Kagin's - IG: X_COINNERD_X

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

whats a vss? first ive heard of it

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like you had fun, thanks for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Hummmm...your table, or the table with the pickles was diagonally across from mine. I was offered the last pickle and passed.....sounds like stupid me!

Nobody wants to eat the last one.
    It's likely still in the jar -- the poor, pitiful picked-over pickle.

@mannie gray said:

@amwldcoin said:

Nobody wants to eat the last one.
    It's likely still in the jar -- the poor, pitiful picked-over pickle.

Nope. I downed the last one late Saturday afternoon. There were two jalapeño halves and some garlic cloves still in the jar that I left with Doc and Lulu when I left the show.

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Regulated said:
    We should set up next to one another more often, although I'm getting sucked into the VAM vortex...

We are Vorg, your collection preferences will be assimilated. Resistance is futile :smile:

The more you VAM..
  • GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2019 10:45PM

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    Got back from 2 1/2 days at the FUN show this morning. A good time, as always. I got to meet up with the usual band of VAMpires while there, as well as some I hadn't met before, saw a lot of familiar faces from here, and met a few for the first time, including, but probably not limited to @Insider2 and @ponderit. The PCGS luncheon was good (with one well-discussed exception), and I got to finally meet and chat with @BrettPCGS and @HeatherBoyd. VAM Thing XVI on Friday included a rather detailed presentation on the goings on at the San Francisco mint when the first Morgans were made in April 1878, prepared by Pete Burchfield and @Regulated, an intro to Seated dollars by Dick Osburn, and some annual awards. The table I was camped at for the show was right next to Kagin's, which for an hour or so on Saturday, turned into a VAMpire hangout, with a few of us passing around and analyzing 1878-S dollars with David. While hanging out there, I spotted a coin that would fit in my Prime Number Set -- a 1613/2 Teutonic Order Thaler and struck a deal to bring it home.

The dollar I picked up from @segoja was also for my set, but the more recent end of it. A nice, flashy 1973 clad Ike in 65 with a QA sticker.

I did the grading challenge ATS, and got a souvenir Florida quarter. I found out at 3 on Saturday that I finished in the top 10 in the grown-ups division, but I don't know where I finished or what the other fabulous prize was. The coins in the challenge were quite varied, US, foreign, errors, problems.

Pickles? Indeed! Those of you who wandered into the "cheap seats" (budget section) may have noticed a bunch of jars of pickles at Doc's Coins' table. They are not just any pickles. They are "Doc & Lulu's Sweet & Spicy Polish Dills." Well worth the investment. I opened the jar Saturday around lunchtime and shared with whomever wanted one. Two "best pickle ever" comments from the Kagin's table. They elevated the convention center hot dogs such that one didn't mind that it took forever for the vendor to prepare their epicurean masterpieces by carefully placing a hand-selected, steamed tube steak into a presumably artisanal bun that apparently needed time to breathe and acclimate to its paper serving dish for a while before it was deemed suitable for use, much as one allows a big red wine to "open up" before serving. Rumor has it that Doc and Lulu will have pickles in Baltimore.

Upon returning home this morning, it was time to take my daughter back to Champaign, IL, for her last semester there. Maybe I'll unpack tomorrow.

Do you know if Doc's Coins is out of Lewiston, NY?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

@ajaan said:

Do you know if Doc's Coins is out of Lewiston, NY?

I think they put Niagara Falls on their table, signs, but yes, it is.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2019 9:52AM

Thought so. Doc is a vet, animal doc. He sets up every month at our local, Buffalo Numismatic Association, club show.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Illini having a rough basketball season! I'm a Boilermaker fan.

Thanks for the report. Love the blue toning on that Thaler.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, classy, widget, and dreck, all in one post. ;)

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doc and LuLu's garlic butter relish is even better - I ration the jars they've given to me to sample for self consumption. It makes commercial brand pickle relish taste like red cabbage out of the can. B)

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• I love these pickles. I'm actually looking to see if Doc hangs out in the forums. I'm on the hunt for a coin I sold locally and he maybe the one who bought it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file