Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this how anyone else feels about their coins?

CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love to see good pictures of my coins rather than the coins themselves. I know it sounds strange, but somehow its just easier and it seems I can see more beauty in them. I get Trueviews with every submission I make and try to buy coins that have good photos already made. My coins aren't too far from me and I can view the actual thing anytime, but its just something about a beautifully captured phot that is more pleasing. Who knows, maybe I could just collect nice photos of coins instead of having to purchase the real thing. Believe me I have thought about it. Anyone else have this crazy feeling?

Comments

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. I need to see the coins in hand, preferably under the correct light source. An image will give you an idea of what coin looks like in hand. Some images are better than others. But the human eye has a greater range of seeing lighting and range of color than even the best camera equipment available.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭

I understand your feelings. I love to look at photos of my coins. I also really enjoy looking at them. I get pleasure out of both.

Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I do enjoy the professional photos that I've had done I'd much rather see them in hand. But I don't want to live at the SDB so the photos are the next best thing.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. Photos are okay, and it is great seeing close up photos or blown up photos...but holding the coin is best. Now if I was able to really hold them instead of the plastic protecting them...

• coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. There's no substitute for holding that tiny piece of history in your hands.

• CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alright you have convinced me of selling all my coins and investing in coin photography.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

The rub is that if you sell all the coins you will nothing to photograph, thus no photos to rejoice with.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't need too look at the pictures OR the coins any more..

Have studied both so much, just the memories are sufficient now.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• KeithMS70KeithMS70 Posts: 192 ✭✭✭

I know exactly what you mean. Looking at pictures can bring out the beauty of the coin rather than having to twist and turn it in hand to get that same look as the photo. However knowing you own that coin and have that coin in the picture close by makes all the difference. In my opinion anyway.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like both. Your point is well made. With coins in slabs you cannot touch them anyway.

• CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like both but sometimes I just don't have much of a choice. e.g. the best (expensive) ones I keep in the SDB.

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoy looking at pictures just as much as I enjoy holding the physical coin/slab. Now that I think of it....the only time I look through my actual coins, is when I add another one to my collection. That’s really the only time I open the safe.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like both

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • WCCWCC Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, looking at the coin directly is much better.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I could be satisfied with photos, I would have avoided spending a lot of money over the last 50 years. Yes, I like to look at the photos I have on file, but nothing beats the real thing.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the True-View photos a lot & look at them more than the coins.
    Does anybody have suggestions on where to go for enlarged high quality prints?

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photos can be beautiful and I think they are great for enjoyment and sharing, however they are still nothing like rotating a coin in the light and seeing the light reflect off the surfaces.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been to an eye doc lately? ;)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like both, but try to learn from the photographs. If there's something that comes up on a high resolution image, I try to correlate that to what I'm seeing with coin in hand. I guess my approach only works "with coin in hand"...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer the coin itself but a good pic to can work wonders as well. theres nothing wrong there with it. jmo

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

The photos are good but after so long it’s nice to run a box or two with a loupe. I’m always amazed at how small and precise they seem, so I like both. Like @Bailey mentioned, when I look at them it’s like seeing an old friend and truthfully, I know every little nuance by heart.

• fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭

I think this discussion is why larger coins are more appealing to most collectors. A morgan dollar versus a seated dime for example.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think there is an order of enjoyment:
    1.) raw coin in-hand.
    2.) encapsulated coin in-hand.
    3.) high resolution picture on a large, color balanced screen.

the first isn't recommended(for obvious reasons), the second is the best choice and the third can't be beat if your coins are in the SDB or have, sadly, been sold.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file