Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dimeman's FUN show report....Day 3.....

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 13, 2019 1:19PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Day 1 (Thursday) - Well I got to the building bright and early think I parked close being in the right parking lot and everything. Boy was I wrong. I walked and walked finally getting to the show it's self......hoping I could find my car at the end of the day (which I did), Anyway the first thing I did was meet our very own CrazyHoundDog Joe at the PCGS table spent probably an hour or so talking to Joe and his son Joe and Heather Boyd...very enjoyable. Then I hunted down our very own insider2! Had a long talk with him on coins...varieties and grading. He is a very knowledgeable and very nice guy. :);) By this time it was 2:00 and I hadn't looked at a coin yet....I was getting the shakes. So to lighten my briefcase I dropped off 30 coins at Great Collections to be entered in their auction. So now the hunt began. I started on row 100 working up towards the bigger numbers. Along the way I met BarberKeys and had a good talk. Then stopped by Pat Vetters table and looked at all of his Mercs which were nice, but no varieties. I then met and talked to amworld….always nice to talk coins with him. By this time it was getting late in the day and BINGO I made my first find....a 1943-S Trumpet Tale in the wild PCGS66FB this will upgrade my PCGS65 after I get it attributed. I then skipped over to find the PenneyLady's table looking for a 1972 DDO for my Variety Type set, but she was not there so I will revisit her tomorrow. I then went to a friends table and found what I thind is a Washie variety in the wild a 1950-D PCGS66+ nice color. I think it is the 801 DDR, I will have to check it out against the coin in Coinfacts. That's it for the day.....sorry for the ramble.

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the Day 1 report @DIMEMAN.

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent report Dimeman. It's like I was there.
    Looking forward to tomorrow.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, keep em coming please.

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome 1st day DM!! To quote a great rock song....."Ramble on"! :)

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) Thank you for the report :)

• KeithMS70KeithMS70 Posts: 192 ✭✭✭

Haha pretty darn good. I’m looking forward to tomorrow’s report.

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

It great seeing you.
    Sorry I didn’t have any Verities for you.
    Enjoyed talking with you hope tomorrow you find a diamond in the rough!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report
    Not a ramble at all

Hope to bump into a few more forumites tomorrow.

Walked 2.9 miles.
    Goodnight

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice seeing and talking again as well! Glad you found your car!!! You gonna wait for the shuttle bus tomorrow?

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report. Let us know about the Washie var.
    Thanks

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tibor said:
    Great report. Let us know about the Washie var.
    Thanks

Pretty sure the Washie is a bust. Not the 801 DDR. But it's a beautiful coin and I need the regular 50-D so it's OK.

I am 200% positive on the Dime and it's a real nice coin and upgrade.

• AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report thank you!

• rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the rambling report :)

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea good report. I think you found your calling in writing FUN reports. :)

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report @DIMEMAN I would love to get there someday, as I have only ever been to very small local stuff. And meeting up with fellow board members sounds good too.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report.... interesting finds... too bad the quarter was not 'the one'....Cheers, RickO

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report!

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice finds! 1943-S Trumpet Tails are TOUGH.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

@cmerlo1 said:
    Nice finds! 1943-S Trumpet Tails are TOUGH.

Yes and it is a beautiful PCGS66FB! That made my day.

Thanks for day 2. Long days. Pennylady?

• RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice show report, and it was great to see you at the show!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

@Hemispherical said:

I looked at PennyLady's 72 DDO's, but she didn't have the grade and color I am after...…...PCGS64RB.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@Hemispherical said:

I looked at PennyLady's 72 DDO's, but she didn't have the grade and color I am after...…...PCGS64RB.

There are a few really nice 64RBs out there....and in that grade it is a pretty good value, IMHO.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks for the cool post dimeman. its good to hear stuff on whats going on

Day 3 was a short day for as I had already hit every table by the end of Friday. This show was just not as big as the usual FUN show. There were 12 isle's of tables as compared to a normal 20-22. The room was small at this years site and a lot of dealers were turned away. Anyway I did pick up a Baby Dime 1837/7 LM-1 PCGS45 CAC from Gerry Fortin that I had looked at earlier in the show. I submitted 2 Dimes to PCGS for variety attribution. I also had John (messydesk) take pics of 2 coins for me. I took a second look at a 1936-D Quarter PCGS62. It was very pretty for a 62, but had the hits that limited it to the 62 grade....so I passed. At this time it was about 2:30 and I was done.....so I headed to Sarasota where my wife and family were waiting for me. My wife and me will spend about a week here doing Florida stuff and then head back home to Illinois.

All in all it was a good show. I spent probably a hour or so twice with @Insider2 and learned a LOT. He is a very nice guy once you get to know him ;) . I enjoyed meeting him and many other forum members. I hope the forum get together becomes a regular part of the show. :)

@dimeman From F.U.N. to fun. Be safe on the travel back to IL.

• Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dimeman-
    Congrats on the trumpet tail. Great pickup, 66fb is top pop!! 2/0.
    Way to go!!
    CF only shows 4 in fb, yours will make 5.

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• ScootersdadScootersdad Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

Glad you had a good show, I planned on saying hello to Insider 2. I walked by their table several times he seemed very busy as he was either behind the microscope to talking to somebody everytime.

@Scootersdad said:
    Glad you had a good show, I planned on saying hello to Insider 2. I walked by their table several times he seemed very busy as he was either behind the microscope to talking to somebody everytime.

One of them might have been me.

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the great report! Sounds like it was productive and FUN for you also.

• alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭

Wish I could attend, but it is half way around the world from Hawaii

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was good to chat with you for a brief minute.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

There were just as many dealers and tables as always! The room was narrow and deep compared to the previous show just so you know!

I R happy because the budget section is finally connected to the rest of the show....made a HUGE DIFFERENCE FOR ME

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoyed your report.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file