Home Sports Talk

When you are jawing it at the convalescent center 30 years from now.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 4, 2019 8:59AM in Sports Talk

And you recollect your most memorable professional live sporting events attended, what will you share?

If I can still remember then it'll be...

Indy 500, 1980-1981

Cowboys vs Redskins at the Cotton Bowl late December 1969

Inaugural Woodrow Wilson 2 yo pace at the Meadowlands. 1977

2-6 underdog Arizona Wildcats trouncing UCLA 52-14. Tucson 2005

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without question the Patriots comeback against the Falcons in the Super Bowl is #1 Others are the Butler interception against Seattle and the Red Sox 2004 ALCS World Series. I didn’t attend any of these but don’t care they are the biggest Sports Moments for Me

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of Indy 500s from mid-80s through 92
    Pete Rose 4192
    Barry Larkin & Chris Sabo - first pro games
    2001 WS - all the AZ home games (and the Coyotes game the night before game 1 that started it all)

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably went to 40 games at tiger Stadium. All that really stands out was an 18 plus inning game in 1984 (Tigers lost,) and Joe Pepitone's hair.

Oh...and the day that Billy Martin flipped a BP ball to my dad.

Became a huge Billy fan that.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are the chances of me making 30 years at 71 now?? :o

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

if #101 goes down i'm bringing the hookers

@DIMEMAN said:

You have to hang on to see the Lombardi hoisted again.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

Whatever happens regarding that, yours and everyone else's posts here will last forever.....

.....just as long as some Chinese grading company doesn't come along and offer superior coin and card grading for a dollar an item, and drives all the other TPG's out of business. ;)

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Whatever happens regarding that, yours and everyone else's posts here will last forever.....

.....just as long as some Chinese grading company doesn't come along and offer superior coin and card grading for a dollar an item, and drives all the other TPG's out of business. ;)

Don't worry Steve...some wifi has already sent this thread hurtling towards Neptune.

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Don't worry Steve...some wifi has already sent this thread hurtling towards Neptune.

Good point. I've read that those Neptunians copy and store everything we do. :D

The Neptune coin slab brings moon money.

@Coinstartled said:

Those Martian coins bring good money in the Milky Way coin market.

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

Those Martian coins bring good money in the Milky Way coin market.

Sure...after the big dipper gets done with them.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

yummmmmm................ Milky Way.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@Darin said:
    yummmmmm................ Milky Way.

A candy bar so tasty, they named a galaxy after it. :)

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

All this talk about candy makes me hungry. ;)

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'd opt for this planetary confectionary

@galaxy27 said:
    i'd opt for this planetary confectionary

Smart that they added the almonds.

Top five in no particular order

Milky Way
    Reese's peanut butter cups
    Snickers
    3 musketeers
    twix

honorable mention

butterfinger
    kit kat
    hershey plain- no almonds
    m&m's plain
    m&m's peanut

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

Your list has potential, Darin, if rearranged.

Reese's
    Butterfinger
    Kit-Kat
    M&M peanut
    Snickers

My Add ins
    Chunky
    Turkish taffy
    7-up bar.....probably discontinued.

M&M plain
    Hershey plain
    3 musketeers
    Twix
    Milky Way

Haven't eaten any of the stuff in many years and real dark chocolate is way better than the commercial milk chocolate, but nutty and crispy are always the best.

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

if #101 goes down i'm bringing the hookers

I'll be in my 90's. Bring the hookers, a quart jar of "little blue pills" and a set of instructions.

edited January 9, 2019 10:16AM

Top 5 candy bars. ( And it’s not even close ) 100 Grand Bar, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, Kit Kat, Mars Almond bar and Almond Joy. Honorable mention for Hershey Almond, Chunky, and Almond M&M’s.

@perkdog said:
    Top 5 candy bars. ( And it’s not even close ) 100 Grand Bar, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, Kit Kat, Mars Almond bar and Almond Joy. Honorable mention for Hershey Almond, Chunky, and Almond M&M’s.

100G bar was a novelty. Cool at that but not a great confection. Coconut stuff is contingent on the of consumer. Don't like it, others do. Other lousy candy is good n plenty and the heath bar. Necco wafers are not even a candy.

Candy needs nuts and chocolate and maybe caramel. Anything else is detrimental.

Does anyone know which candy bar is the favorite of Nick Foles. I would just like to know more about the GOAT backup quarterback.

;)

@stevek said:
    Does anyone know which candy bar is the favorite of Nick Foles. I would just like to know more about the GOAT backup quarterback.

;)

s-NICK-ers

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:

;)

s-NICK-ers

Good one. 👍

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

the Foles comment is GREAT!

My 5 would be KitKat, Milky Way, Rolo, M&M Almond and let's give one to Nestles Crunch

sorry, mean M&M peanut

@JRR300 said:
    the Foles comment is GREAT!

My 5 would be KitKat, Milky Way, Rolo, M&M Almond and let's give one to Nestles Crunch

Nestle addition is a good choice. Guess I will have to drop the M&M's to make room.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

;)

Not sure but if you ask them right now if they’re keeping Foles or Wentz?

The answer you’ll get - in candy bar form - is:

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

For the OP?

MSG - Larry Johnson 4 point play, any Big East tournament game

Yankee Stadium - Matsui Playoff HR in WS (his WS MVP), Yankees beat A’sback to back (Bernie and Justice) HR bottom 9, 2-1 win, inflatable Madonna throw on field at Jose Canseco circa ‘90...

Army-Air Force @ West Point

Giants Stadium - Joe Horn cell phone game

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

edited January 9, 2019 12:19PM

Oh, and court side at MSG the night they shot Hitch (starring Wil Smith and Kevin James). My father, customer and his brother are visible in the movie. I was getting beers and was held up by Jeff Gordon, that arrogant midget NASCAR driver...

:smiley:

PS - I don’t really dislike Jeff. And I am not heightist. But I have been in those seats often and not one other person retreated to the hallway and has it ‘shut down’ while he in there. And this is the Garden. He’s hardly the brightest shining diamond there...

@perkdog said:

Perkdog_ too many almonds for me. LOL. I love Snickers and peanut M&M's. But replace the peanuts with
    almonds? No way.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21

@Coinstartled said:

@perkdog said:

100G bar was a novelty. Cool at that but not a great confection. Coconut stuff is contingent on the of consumer. Don't like it, others do. Other lousy candy is good n plenty and the heath bar. Necco wafers are not even a candy.

Candy needs nuts and chocolate and maybe caramel. Anything else is detrimental.

100 Grand bar is so good. I totally forgot about Heath bar, those are right up there. Tell ya I wish I still ate these candy bars they are really tasty lol

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I regrettably do not go to many live games.
    I would say that I was lucky enough, a couple times, to watch Larry Bird at the Boston Garden.

Does anyone like these?

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

My best sporting event was all 3 home games of the 1980 World Series , one the first base line in front of the catch between Rose and Boon. And Saint Nick he,s a double mint chewing gum fan

Yes I'm an EAGLES FAN. Here 's a message from an eagles fan hatched from an egg! See Attach.

edited January 10, 2019 2:15AM

@emeraldATV said:
    My best sporting event was all 3 home games of the 1980 World Series , one the first base line in front of the catch between Rose and Boon. And Saint Nick he,s a double mint chewing gum fan

That play with Boone and Rose was great. I watched it on TV.

I was at games 1 and 2. My favorite moment, in the first game, was the Royals had a 4-0 lead going into the bottom of the third, when Bake McBride hit a dramatic three run homer, which with the Phillies scoring two previous runs in the inning, gave the Phils a 5-4 lead...and best of all gave us the feeling that we could really win this World Series.

I had a perfect view of that home run as McBride batted left, and my seat was around four rows up, in between home plate and the third base dugout. So i was able to completely see the ball thrown and hit, and sailing into the right field stands.

@thisistheshow said:

I would say that I was lucky enough, a couple times, to watch Larry Bird at the Boston Garden.

Does anyone like these?

Heck yea, that’s another one I forgot about. And how did we get on the candy bar topic?

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

Much better than mine at 79 my friend.

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

Does anyone like these?

Heck yea, that’s another one I forgot about. And how did we get on the candy bar topic?

I not only saw Larry Bird but Bobby Orr and the gang there many times, It was a fun time back then.

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

Does anyone like these?

Not sure, but I was good for a couple of these per shift when I worked at a drug store.

@Coinstartled said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

Does anyone like these?

Not sure, but I was good for a couple of these per shift when I worked at a drug store.

I've heard rumors that some of these candy bars came with a T206 insert, but I may be thinking of something else.

Steve, I was at the 80 WS games also. Didn't Bowa get on and steal a base 4 runs down before McBride hit the home run? And when Bake hit that HR, the place went nuts and they put a big "BAKED TATER" up on the message board. And on the bad side, I sat thru the 83 WS game against the Orioles in the pouring rain, while the commissioner sat below without a coat acting like it wasn't even raining.

@JRR300 said:
    Steve, I was at the 80 WS games also. Didn't Bowa get on and steal a base 4 runs down before McBride hit the home run? And when Bake hit that HR, the place went nuts and they put a big "BAKED TATER" up on the message board. And on the bad side, I sat thru the 83 WS game against the Orioles in the pouring rain, while the commissioner sat below without a coat acting like it wasn't even raining.

That home run was the loudest roar I ever heard at the Vet when i was in attendance. It was the perfect HR at the right time. Especially considering the Phillies had floundered around for thirty years, and we didn't want to see it happen with this World Series.

When the Royals went up 4-0, it was like, "Here we go again with the losing" but that HR was a great confidence builder.

@stevek said:

That home run was the loudest roar I ever heard at the Vet

Just about as loud as the roar when McGraw struck out Willie Wilson to end Game 6 and the series.

@JRR300 said:

@stevek said:

That home run was the loudest roar I ever heard at the Vet

Just about as loud as the roar when McGraw struck out Willie Wilson to end Game 6 and the series.

Ending a thirty year drought - it was beautiful. B)

I do like the current Phillies team moving forward. The upcoming season should be interesting. Of course hope always springs eternal before the first game of the regular season is played. :)

Perhaps the Chiefs could beat the Eagles in the Super Bowl as a beginning to rectifying some of the wrongs of the past.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21

One other thing I was 20 yrs old with no tickets sitting on the steps for these 3 games, buying drinks for the people around us to keep them quite and happy . Made some good friends as they were there all 3 games also. After the game when the Phillies won a good friend who works on the ground crew reached between two officers and gave me a game ball.
    After that we went to the locker room, forget about it too many people. Leaving here was a person signing autographs, it was Ed Rendel. I asked if would notarize my ball. Yes he said laughingly.

I was 27 at the time and had waited in line outside the VET for hours to buy WS tix when they first became available, first come first served. We got tix for every game; only 700 level seats available, and for games 6 and 7(never needed), we had seats at the very top row of the 700 level where they had added bleacher aluminum benches for standing room. Those benches were shaking during most of the entire game six, as the Phillies held the lead with Carlton on the mound. Everyone there just knew this was the game that would end the Philly championship drought!

Current team improved greatly so far this offseason, but still a big gaping hole in the middle of the lineup.