Home Sports Talk
Options

When you are jawing it at the convalescent center 30 years from now.

2»

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Game I didn't get into. Jan 1988 was what turned out to be Walter Payton's final NFL game. I was traveling from Detroit to Chicago to attend the Housewares show. Good fortune had me sitting next to a young lady who worked as a show model. I was on the aisle and she told me that Mitch Albom was sitting across from me.

The smallish fellow eating a tuna sandwich didn't look much like the pictures of Albom I had seen over his Free Press byline, but sure enough it was him. We spent a half hour talking football and I hinted that I would have loved to see the game. No dice.

Probably for the better as it was about 5 degrees at Soldier and I had a couple sales meetings to attend anyway.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Game I didn't get into. Jan 1988 was what turned out to be Walter Payton's final NFL game. I was traveling from Detroit to Chicago to attend the Housewares show. Good fortune had me sitting next to a young lady who worked as a show model. I was on the aisle and she told me that Mitch Albom was sitting across from me.

The smallish fellow eating a tuna sandwich didn't look much like the pictures of Albom I had seen over his Free Press byline, but sure enough it was him. We spent a half hour talking football and I hinted that I would have loved to see the game. No dice.

Probably for the better as it was about 5 degrees at Soldier and I had a couple sales meetings to attend anyway.

Yea, good old sales meetings. As a sales rep for many years, I've been to 100's of them. Always some "sales manager" and/or "company executive" of some sort who has no real clue about what is really going on out there in the marketplace.😒

• Options

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

Yea, good old sales meetings. As a sales rep for many years, I've been to 100's of them. Always some "sales manager" and/or "company executive" of some sort who has no real clue about what is really going on out there in the marketplace.😒

In 1994 I had to fly from 20 below zero Detroit to 25 below Chicago for a Sunday morning meeting. Getting to the airport at 6 am, I realized that I could be flying to any place in the world, yet I was heading to the one place that was colder than Detroit.

That was enough. Headed West the following winter.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

In 1994 I had to fly from 20 below zero Detroit to 25 below Chicago for a Sunday morning meeting. Getting to the airport at 6 am, I realized that I could be flying to any place in the world, yet I was heading to the one place that was colder than Detroit.

That was enough. Headed West the following winter.

Sunday morning sales meeting? Thank goodness I never had one of those. I might have quit first. LOL

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nolan Ryan's 300th win.
    My son's first Phillies game.

Andy

• Options
    electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2019 12:09PM

1978 American Grand Prix at Watkins Glenn won by Ferrari driver Carlos Reuteman the following week the Canadian Grand Prix won by Gilles Villeneuve piloting a Ferrari also between the races my friend and i saw Frank Zappa at the Montreal Forum and a Montreal VS Boston exhibition game.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

also Roy Halladay's first postseason start for the Phillies. Against the REDS. Second no hitter in the postseason in baseball history.....and I got to take my daughter. From the 6th inning on, there was a Red's fan in the row behind us and after every out, he would announce.."You know he has a no hitter right?"

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@perkdog said:
    Top 5 candy bars. ( And it’s not even close ) 100 Grand Bar, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, Kit Kat, Mars Almond bar and Almond Joy. Honorable mention for Hershey Almond, Chunky, and Almond M&M’s.

100G bar was a novelty. Cool at that but not a great confection.

I'm late to this party, but did you really just dis the $100,000 bar??? Even though they changed the name, they are still awesmoe!!!

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

@dallasactuary said:

@Coinstartled said:

@perkdog said:
    Top 5 candy bars. ( And it’s not even close ) 100 Grand Bar, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, Kit Kat, Mars Almond bar and Almond Joy. Honorable mention for Hershey Almond, Chunky, and Almond M&M’s.

100G bar was a novelty. Cool at that but not a great confection.

I'm late to this party, but did you really just dis the $100,000 bar??? Even though they changed the name, they are still awesmoe!!!

What is the new name. Been about 40 years since I had one?

• Options

My bad. I was confusing the 100G bar with the marathon bar. Thing was long but that was about it.

• Options

Don't forget Raisinets.

As a kid, I'd take my weekly allowance each Saturday during the summer and walk to the local store, and buy a small box of Raisinets and the rest went for baseball cards. Boy that was fun. :)

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cant wait, till I hear it..".PLAY BALL."!!!!!!! !!!!!!! !!!!!!! !!!!!!! .

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

GETTING CLOSER BY THE DAY!!!!!!!!!