Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

NYINC 2019 - auction and show floor additions

Lets see some new purchases or auctions wins. Also love to hear reflections on why the lots caught your attention in the first place. Go ahead and indulge those like me sitting behind a desk trying to focus on work this week ....

Comments

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome pickup. Congrats!

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickups all !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

@jgenn - love it. My guess would be the Nagybanya mint in Hungary? Curious as to the story and significance behind the cross directly in front of the bust on the obverse. Only found on a small number of the DAV-8802 issues listed on acsearch.info.

• jgennjgenn Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2019 10:11PM

Thanks @worldcoinguy ! Perhaps its a better match to the example on coinfactswiki where it's listed as DAV-8803.

Edit to add: Does it look like reverse of the coinfactswiki example is an earlier state diebreak?

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats everyone - great pickups. Nothing for me yet..

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@worldcoinguy based on the other 14 crosses on the obverse, I'd say the guy was really into Christianity.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats, hope to be able to post something once the auctions close

@TwoKopeiki, does the Scots add mean that you aren’t doing Hooknecks?

@Boosibri said:

Brian, I will go after the AU50 Durango Hookneck in the Stacks sale, but not the others.

@TwoKopeiki said:
    @Boosibri said:

Brian, I will go after the AU50 Durango Hookneck in the Stacks sale, but not the others.

Nice coin!

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki too bad on the Hooknecks... That Charles IV is sweet.

There have been a rash of new Charles IV 8Rs in 64 graded, none of them seemingly deserving of the lofty grade. I would gladly take your 63+ over any of those 64’s.

Thanks Brian. I know what you mean about the 64s - saw one in-hand yesterday. Also saw an 1809 63 in PCGS plastic that had no business being in that holder but priced at over retail.

edited January 11, 2019 5:22PM

Added another piece to my Austrian Noble House collection (here are some others - https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1009042/newp-1794-austrian-noble-house-of-paar-taler), this time from a different noble house, the Eszterhazy family, which granted with private minting rights.

AUSTRIA. 1/2 Taler, 1770. Vienna Mint. Nikolaus Josef (1762-90), Prince of Eszterhazy. KM-1. RARE type with a published mintage of only 500 pieces. Luminous in the fields with attractive olive tone sweeping over both sides. NGC MS-64.

Nikolaus Josef, Prince of Eszterhazy, was a Hungarian nobleman reputed to be richer than the Emperor himself. Granted the coinage right for his military services, he exercised it only in 1770 to mint this half Taler, a full Taler (Dav-1187) and a Ducat, all of which are rare. Provenance: From the Collection of Dr. James Eustace Bizzell, II.

• fred13fred13 Posts: 193 ✭✭✭

I was also fortunate enough to win the lot I had my eye on. A nice Royal D'or from the French Middle Ages. The grade of AU 55 by NGC is just about right for the piece I think

edited January 12, 2019 5:14AM

Really nice wins!

I saw only a couple gem cap&rays 8 reales on the floor bourse and auction venues....I had those dates .
    Where are all the gem cap & rays ......?

I thought i would see more at this show.

@bidask said:
    Really nice wins!

I saw only a couple gem cap&rays 8 reales on the floor bourse and auction venues....I had those dates .
    Where are all the gem cap & rays ......?

I thought i would see more at this show.

Goldberg's upcoming auction.

edited January 12, 2019 4:59PM

Tough coins in gem

The AU50 Durango went for more than I was willing to pay. The 1824 Mexico 8R in 64 broke 30K - must have been a few big players that wanted it.

@TwoKopeiki said:
    The AU50 Durango went for more than I was willing to pay. The 1824 Mexico 8R in 64 broke 30K - must have been a few big players that wanted it.

I think hammered at 32k .

The Durango was a nice coin .

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2019 8:21PM

I was sitting in the room but didn’t take notes. I believe they both went to a dealer (the same one). Probably bidding for a client.

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think in general, the auction was disappointing. While few coins sold well, including the said Hooknecks, I think the vast majority of coins sold for poor prices. And a lot of lots were passed.

edited January 12, 2019 8:30PM

@Abuelo said:
    I think in general, the auction was disappointing. While few coins sold well, including the said Hooknecks, I think the vast majority of coins sold for poor prices. And a lot of lots were passed.

Yes, very strange, that.

Philippines was crazy. Both in SB and HA.

I think in general, the high reserves turned off bidders.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zohar said:
    Added another piece to my Austrian Noble House collection (here are some others - https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1009042/newp-1794-austrian-noble-house-of-paar-taler), this time from a different noble house, the Eszterhazy family, which granted with private minting rights.

AUSTRIA. 1/2 Taler, 1770. Vienna Mint. Nikolaus Josef (1762-90), Prince of Eszterhazy. KM-1. RARE type with a published mintage of only 500 pieces. Luminous in the fields with attractive olive tone sweeping over both sides. NGC MS-64.

Nikolaus Josef, Prince of Eszterhazy, was a Hungarian nobleman reputed to be richer than the Emperor himself. Granted the coinage right for his military services, he exercised it only in 1770 to mint this half Taler, a full Taler (Dav-1187) and a Ducat, all of which are rare. Provenance: From the Collection of Dr. James Eustace Bizzell, II.

Congrats! You are going to love it when you get it in hand!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

@MrEureka said:

@Zohar said:

Andy - did you have a chance to see it?

@bidask said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

The 1824-Mo P64 went for $38k all in. I though my bid was fairly strong but in the end was blown away.

@Boosibri said:

@bidask said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

The 1824-Mo P64 went for $38k all in. I though my bid was fairly strong but in the end was blown away.

I was not impressed with the coin. Although naturally toned I thought it could have had more luster.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, well it showed well in the pictures. Best to be there then; just curious have you seen better?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
    edited January 13, 2019 9:52AM

@7Jaguars said:
    Wow, well it showed well in the pictures. Best to be there then; just curious have you seen better?

It was a nice coin and mostly all there. Luster could have been better. Toning could have been deeper which would have made it look less hazy in the indirect light. But, it's still a one-of-a-kind coin. For the time being, at least.

I guess two people thought it was a special coin, and none have surfaced finer nor more original.

@7Jaguars said:

I have not seen better. It just was not a wow coin for me.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is likely about as much of a wow that you will see for the date. Congrats to the winner

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Henry VII profile groat was one of my first coins when I got back into collecting, in 1999. However, mine is the "Regular" issue; not as scarce as the Tentative issue. SCBC 2258.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

I bought this one from A Swiss dealer .

@Zohar said:

@MrEureka said:

@Zohar said:

Yes. I was planning to bid on it but came to my senses at the last moment. Not the type of coin I could reasonably expect to sell fo a profit.

Andy Lustig

@EVillageProwler said:
    Images of my two newps from Friday (I blame @Nap for the sceatt!)...

(Both of these have recorded provenance that I am trying to discern; my research skills are lacking and the dealer is still busy at the show.)

ANGLO-SAXON, Primary Sceattas. Circa 710. AR Sceat (1.26g, 5h. VERNVS Series, type 91, group 1g. Uncertain mint. Degenerate diademed bust right; V[...] to right / Degenerate standard with central pellet-in-annulet, chevron left, cross below. Abramson 6.20; SCBC 783. Near EF, toned.

That’s a coin I wouldn’t mind being “blamed” for!

@MrEureka said:

@Zohar said:

@MrEureka said:

@Zohar said:

Yes. I was planning to bid on it but came to my senses at the last moment. Not the type of coin I could reasonably expect to sell fo a profit.

Except maybe to Zohar? :wink:

• jgennjgenn Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2019 6:51PM
    edited January 14, 2019 12:06PM

Not really an NYINC addition, and something I should have done ages ago, but just pulled the trigger on Volumes I and II of Frank Grove's Medals of Mexico.

@jgenn said:
    @MrEureka
    Was the 1642 Vladyslaw IV Vaza the one you had at USMex?

No.

Andy Lustig

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

1882 LONDON Mint Jamaica Penny MS63 - this is a coin of exceeding rarity; just as rare as the Trade Dollar TDN goes on about!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Not really an NYINC addition, and something I should have done ages ago, but just pulled the trigger on Volumes I and II of Frank Grove's Medals of Mexico.

Being a collector, you've now got to complete the set!

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

TwoKopeki:
    That 1566 Ryal is spectacular. It's also one of the highest graded examples I've seen of any date in the series. Is it Mint State?

When in doubt, don't.