Home U.S. Coin Forum

Post a coin and a picture of interest of the times

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 3, 2019 11:28PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This could be fun and a learning experience

I’ll start. 1854. The Kansas- Nebraska Act was enacted by Stephen A. Douglas. This piece of legislation probably was the single biggest impetus for sparking the Civil War

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...just dropping in...today, on the 18th, I skyrocketed my old-school Cleveland 60• (solid beryllium copper head) 109 yards onto the green and then nailed a 20 footer for bird ;)

...my pops followed Payne in 92’ at the Olympic Club and he was using that club so he bought one shortly afterward...it ended up in my bag 20 years ago and I wouldn’t trade her for anything!

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins and history.... marvelous combination. I will come back to this thread... got to work later...Cheers, RickO

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Friday Mark! Nice to have you back.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:
    ...just dropping in...today, on the 18th, I skyrocketed my old-school Cleveland 60• (solid beryllium copper head) 109 yards onto the green and then nailed a 20 footer for bird ;)

...my pops followed Payne in 92’ at the Olympic Club and he was using that club so he bought one shortly afterward...it ended up in my bag 20 years ago and I wouldn’t trade her for anything!

You could have at least taken a quarter from your pocket to image with your post. :p

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

New Hope Railroad #40 and 2- Lincoln cents it ran over on Dec. 27th 2017. One is a 2017P Cent.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2019 12:34PM

:'( Fast forward .....

The Mint should've gone with the Broken Sword design :/

WWI

WWII

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2019 7:09PM

Syracuse (modern day Sicily) decadrachm, 400 BC. There were no photos at the time - this was the media (and fixed stuff like statues, frescoes, etc.).

Maria Callas, 1958. Timeless art, originating from Greece (born in NYC, though!).
    (I was trying to think of a modern Greek goddess, without it being Jennifer Anniston).

Fountain of Arethusa, modern times.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fountain_of_Arethusa

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2019 8:18PM

The theatre of the "Pacific Battle" ....... my great grandparents talked about often :(

*interesting medal (not mine)

@cardinal said:

@Paradisefound said:
    :'( Fast forward .....
    The Mint should've gone with the Broken Sword design :/
    WWII

ParadiseFound, those are very iconic images. A good friend of mine is a grand-daughter of one of the soldiers in the Iwo Jima flag picture! Each of those soldiers were humble gentlemen, risking their lives for our freedom!!

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2019 12:35AM

@BG said:

A part of his plane flew the first 500 coins from the San Francisco mint can be seen in the left background.

What part of his plane flew the coins?

I would think it would take ALL of the plane to fly?

GrandAm :)
  • BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:

@BG said:

A part of his plane flew the first 500 coins from the San Francisco mint can be seen in the left background.

What part of his plane flew the coins?

I would think it would take ALL of the plane to fly?

Probably true based on the weight:

The San Francisco Mint struck 50,000 Vancouver’s, plus 28 assay coins on August 1, 1925. On the same day, 1,378 pounds of these coins were shipped by air to Vancouver by Lt. Oakley G. Kelly, U.S.A, flight commander of the Vancouver Pearson Field Barracks.

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Moon landing. Coin photo from PCGS coin facts

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    This could be fun and a learning experience

I’ll start. 1854. The Kansas- Nebraska Act was enacted by Stephen A. Douglas. This piece of legislation probably was the single biggest impetus for sparking the Civil War

Carry on my wayward son ;)

On June 26, Congress amends the Fair Labor Standards Act, further limiting the workweek to 40 hours. A few months later, on October 24, the law goes into effect.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

edited January 9, 2019 8:08PM

Government orders citizens to turn in gold coins, gold bullion, and gold certificates.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file