Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post a coin and a picture of interest of the times

2»

Comments

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

"The shot heard round the world" is a phrase referring to several historical incidents, particularly the opening of the American Revolutionary War in 1775

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2019 7:58AM

In 1912 there was a guy named James Fraser who was submitting designs for the new Buffalo Nickel.

This was one of them.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

A hunka hunka burnin' love born January 8th.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had the pleasure to visit the Kansas State Capitol Building in Topeka. The John Steuart Curry mural is bigger than life and is one of the most impressive murals I have ever seen.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

January 27th 1945 the Soviet Union liberates Auschwitz concentration camp. January 27th is International Holocaust Remembrance Day,

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2019 8:11PM

The city of Fargo, North Dakota burned to the ground in a fire covering 160 acres and over 31 city blocks. It destroyed "city hall, the business district and the homes of most of Fargo’s 6,000 residents". Two theories on how the fire started include: (a) someone threw ashes out of a restaurant and (b) someone was burning cardboard packing cartons in a store. I'm glad fires are much more contained these days.

https://library.ndsu.edu/fargo-history/?q=content/fire-1893

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baltimore fire, 1904:

• Options
  • Options

18th amendment adopted in 1917 and ratified by 2/3 of the states on January 16th 1919. Prohibition would begin one year after.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2019 12:22PM

This (widget/classy/dreck?) coin is on a truck headed to my home, even as I type this post.

In addition to the Centennial of the United States, out West in Little Big Horn, where the coin was minted, the US forces, led by General George Armstrong Custer, was soundly defeated by a combined Native American force in what was the most significant battle of the Great Sioux War of 1876.

• Options

@RYK said:
    This (widget/classy/dreck?) coin is on a truck headed to my home, even as I type this post.

In addition to the Centennial of the United States, out West, where the coin was minted, the US forces, led by General George Armstrong Custer, was soundly defeated by a combined Native American force in what was the most significant battle of the Great Sioux War of 1876.

Great coin! Classy all the way...

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2019 5:24PM

The war of 1812. The British burned the White House.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2019 2:04AM

1907 the Cubs go 107-45 in the regular season and go on to beat the Tigers 4-0–1 in the World Series. Yes, there was one tied game. In 1908 there was a rematch between the two teams with the Sox repeating. It was the first repeat winner ever. However a drought developed that would take 108 years to drench. Yes 108 years between World Series victories for the Cubbies

Wrigley Field

In the regular season Ty Cobb and Honus Wagner both ended up hitting .350 to lead the league. These two are certainly mentioned being amongst the all time great in baseball. Ty Cobb Is one of my favorites that ever took the batters box. One of my all time favorite coins was also minted in this glorious year.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file