Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

PSA Forum Quality

I have been a member of the PSA Forums for 17 years. I am not a prolific poster, just recently hitting 500. However, I read it often and have gleaned much knowledge from the members over the years. As I was reading some of the posts recently I came to realize how the professional growth of the participants has evolved over the years. There was a time, probably 8-10 years ago, when things could become very toxic. Opinions were not necessarily appreciated but rather ridiculed and criticized, often becoming sparring matches and threatening. As can often happen, much bravery was shown by individuals who could hide behind their posts.

It seems much of that behavior has disappeared. I suspect that the Moderator stepped in and enforced forum rules But I also believe that many strong members challenged individuals who were toxic and thereby fought for the quality of a healthy and knowledgeable forum.

Just trying to say that as I enter 2019, I appreciate the quality sharing and information that has become the norm for the PSA Forums. Thanks and Happy New Year Collecting to all members!

Comments

• alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

I agree.

However, quantity is so far down that it’s getting boring.

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Learned so much here....and i love the group breaks and group submissions!

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HighGradeLegends said:
    Learned so much here....and i love the group breaks and group submissions!

+1

Miss the group rips, also.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2019 7:19AM

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m very new. I like it here. Very much so.

More than half the beauty of a hobby is having like minded people to share your passion with in terms of acquisitions, information and general knowledge.

I know I’ve got a few ongoing private conversations with some folks, I’ve saved on many cards via eBay offers ‘announced’ here and BST deals, and what is perhaps the greatest personal benefit of ‘membership’ here, that it enabled Jeff (owner of National Card Investors) to find me and help me acquire what is still one of the greatest gets of my life and easily one of my favorite pieces...

1951 Wheaties Premium Photos Phil Rizzuto (just the 2nd in PSA slab)

I thank him every chance I can as a testament to both Jeff AND the CU Forums.

Happy New Year to all

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Yes we need more posts. i think i will start a new one

• Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Love the CU forum and it will always have a soft spot in my heart as the place where it all started for me. I will always be active here. With that said, I feel Facebook private sports card groups are taking over and are more interactive and transparent.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.

@perkdog said:
    This forum is a shell of its former self from 10 years ago, it was really hopping for a while with the same core of 20+ members posting all the time. It got out of hand due to the very long leash the mods gave us, if a new member asked a “Dumb” question or tried to scam or lie they would get piled on relentlessly by everyone, but eventually our much loved Carol was no longer the moderator and the anvil dropped resulting in long time members getting vaporized one by one. You could put cards in the BST and within an hour they would sell if priced correctly. I miss the old CU but still feel it’s the best place on the ‘net for sports talk and talking cards.

This place is very different as compared to the mid to late 2000's but I'm not sure if being away all these years has effected my memory somewhat. There are definitely more than a handful of people not here anymore that I enjoyed talking / trading with.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

@Gemyanks10 said:
    Love the CU forum and it will always have a soft spot in my heart as the place where it all started for me. I will always be active here. With that said, I feel Facebook private sports card groups are taking over and are more interactive and transparent.

That's a great observation on the FB groups. I recently joined two and the action is non stop. I haven't traded or anything yet so I'm very new to them but initially it sure looks like a ton of people are doing the FB group thing.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree the facebook groups seem to be getting more and more popular and I am a member of a number of them. I personally however, am not a big user of facebook and find the interface not as user friendly for me as a simple forum. I find it annoying that threads are not laid out automatically, but when people reply to specific comments the replies need to be opened individually.

as they are so popular, I am sure it is a "me" thing, and as the trend goes more and more to facebook I will get more accustomed to it. but for now, I still much prefer the forums.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer more moderation than less. The really good members (with some exceptions, no doubt) that are missing (and their knowledge is sorely missed) have left on their own accord. They found greener pastures and moved on.

But I like where we're at now here. Of course, I'm biased. I find more threads here talking about things I collect than anywhere else so I'm happy.

Arthur

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too like more moderation. PSA is a for profit company and their message board is designed to be a value add for collectors and having members trash your company, your advertisers and the entire process isn't in their best interest. There have been quite a few people over the years blatantly disregard the rules and it was smart to put the hammer down on it. We all come from different walks of life and have different interests but the one thing we share is we collect little pieces of cardboard and in many cases have for a long time. It is nice to have a spot you can come and see what is happening the hobby and meet people you otherwise never would. Thanks to the message board I have made friends with other collectors and for that I am grateful.

@softparade said:

@Gemyanks10 said:

That's a great observation on the FB groups. I recently joined two and the action is non stop. I haven't traded or anything yet so I'm very new to them but initially it sure looks like a ton of people are doing the FB group thing.

I don't do that snapface stuff...

• Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

@HighGradeLegends said:

@softparade said:

@Gemyanks10 said:

Huh?

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

he meant insta-snap

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty sure it's Twitbook he's referring to.

@Gemyanks10 said:

@HighGradeLegends said:

@softparade said:

@Gemyanks10 said:

Huh?

This. https://youtu.be/-RXdOx4FD4I

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's good here but I miss the dust ups. Kept things interesting. Weekend dust ups were best. carol didn't shut the thread down till she came in Monday morning. Ahh the good old days. Where's Varga when you need him? Eh?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BALROG said:
    As soon a Rule 11 was put in place, where everyone must post while naked, things did settle down a bit. Some though started posting more.

One rule I did’t know of but have been in compliance with all along. Nice. :smirk:

Kinda awkward at work, but they get used to it.

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bharris said:
    This format of communication is dead across the board. The FB groups are so much more interactive and connect people more quickly. The only people who still use forums is the long term members and older crowd typically.

What are you trying to say, whippersnapper???

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
    edited January 3, 2019 12:38PM

@Bharris said:
    This format of communication is dead across the board. The FB groups are so much more interactive and connect people more quickly. The only people who still use forums is the long term members and older crowd typically.

I think it would be a pretty dumb move to ignore places like this. Although I do agree that some of theFB groups are very active, most of the material being sold and traded is garbage IMO. We shall see...

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Judging by the page view numbers of the various boards I am a member of this format is far from dead.

• 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭

When this group was more "active" people tended to let the anonymity of having a username and avatar take over. Things were sometimes rude and unpleasant. I certainly got discouraged for a while by some of that behavior, resulting in less posting and less sharing of information and pictures in the public threads.

This board still has many quality threads. And as for being "active", but for availability group rips would be happening as frequently as they used to. When BBCE has material, we do them still. I regularly watch the BBCE website for opportunities to get another group-rip started.

The unfortunate thing about this forum is that we have lost some good people due to their being blocked. Some certainly stepped over the line knowingly. Others posted things unintentionally that could have been misinterpreted or were questionably at issue. They people are still active and helpful as ever on Net54 and other forums. It would be nice to see some sort of "amnesty" offered to try and get some of these people back.

I do hope that those who are here remember that this is a community of similarly-interested collectors and to try to keep things light and positive.

Happy New Year to All

Dave
  • @Bharris said:

Which is also getting truer of FB itself by the hour. The question is, then, where are people going now who aren't on forums OR Facebook?

@Rihotter said:

@Bharris said:

Which is also getting truer of FB itself by the hour. The question is, then, where are people going now who aren't on forums OR Facebook?

Ever read The Langoliers?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rihotter said:

@Bharris said:

Same place they've always been, networking with like minded collectors via phone/text/email.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Officially - been here 15 yrs this month.

That's quite a long time since I've pretty much been active that whole time.

I miss a lot of the people long gone for many reasons.

I agree there's more diversified card talk now and yes - the discourse is quite civil.

I have to say. I found some of the major train wrecks to be quite entertaining but a what cost?

I always look forward to a new year and would like to see more "personal" threads on collecting and some different/more unique "item posting."

Last, I've always seen posting to be a privilege and have always felt very welcome here.

Mike
  • LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said.

Last, I've always seen posting to be a privilege and have always felt very welcome here.

+1 ^. I always new Mike followed rule #11.

Kevin

• mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

Long time member here and I too miss the old gang. We had some incredible conversations and this board was "must read" every evening after work and much of the time on the weekends. While I have no doubt that Facebook is cutting into the message boards posts, I just have not found a Facebook group worth as darn who have any solid knowledge like this board had/has. The groups I have seen have nothing but modern cards at stupidly high prices and no passion for the hobby other than making some money. Like I said, I miss those good old days but as Billy Joel once said"The good ole' days aren't always good, tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems."

I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!

@mccardguy1 said:
    Long time member here and I too miss the old gang. We had some incredible conversations and this board was "must read" every evening after work and much of the time on the weekends. While I have no doubt that Facebook is cutting into the message boards posts, I just have not found a Facebook group worth as darn who have any solid knowledge like this board had/has. The groups I have seen have nothing but modern cards at stupidly high prices and no passion for the hobby other than making some money. Like I said, I miss those good old days but as Billy Joel once said"The good ole' days aren't always good, tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems."

Amen

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mccardguy1 said:
    as Billy Joel once said

They say that these are not the best of times
    But they're the only times I've ever known
    And I believe there is a time for meditation
    In cathedrals of our own

Now I have seen that sad surrender in my mother's eyes
    I can only stand apart and sympathize
    For we are always what our situations hand us
    It's either sadness or euphoria

So we'll argue and we'll compromise
    And realize that nothing's ever changed
    For all our mutual experience
    Our separate conclusions are the same

Now we are forced to recognize our inhumanity
    A reason coexists with our insanity
    Though we choose between reality and madness

How thoughtlessly we dissipate our energies
    Perhaps we'll help fulfill each other's fantasies
    And as we stand upon the ledges of our lives with our respective similarities

Andy

• @1951WheatiesPremium said:

@Rihotter said:

@Bharris said:

Have not. Found this quote and wonder if it's apropos:

"…of the langoliers, who obviously did not know, they were lurking everywhere, behind every bush and tree, in every shadow, just over the horizon… The langoliers had come for all the foolish, lazy people, just as his father had always said they would."

• I miss many of the members that used to be here back in the day. I have joined several of the Facebook groups and have had great success buying and selling. BUT they do have their downfalls. Too many fishing posts. I think it should be a requirement to list your asking prices. I hate the make offer posts and the "is anyone interested" posts. And the really frustrating posts are the "what's it worth" posts. My intent with those groups isn't to get into discussions about topics, but rather to buy and sell. I come here for the discussions.

@Rihotter said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@Rihotter said:

@Bharris said:

"…of the langoliers, who obviously did not know, they were lurking everywhere, behind every bush and tree, in every shadow, just over the horizon… The langoliers had come for all the foolish, lazy people, just as his father had always said they would."

Bingo! Stephen King

People still use facebook!?

Arthur

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

A ton. You are kidding yourself to think otherwise. And I dislike the platform.

@Rihotter said:

@Rihotter said:

@Bharris said:

Bingo! Stephen King

They filmed the movie in my city. also the same city Stephen King calls home!

@minnesotahusker said:
    I miss many of the members that used to be here back in the day. I have joined several of the Facebook groups and have had great success buying and selling. BUT they do have their downfalls. Too many fishing posts. I think it should be a requirement to list your asking prices. I hate the make offer posts and the "is anyone interested" posts. And the really frustrating posts are the "what's it worth" posts. My intent with those groups isn't to get into discussions about topics, but rather to buy and sell. I come here for the discussions.

I agree. I find the facebook groups I am a member of pretty much just want to sell/trade and there is very little actual conversing going on. even in the show off posts there are just quick 2 word replies.

I find little to no actual hobby talk going on there. maybe I am just on the wrong FB groups. I may check FB 2 times per week. I check here a few times per day.

@softparade said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

A ton. You are kidding yourself to think otherwise. And I dislike the platform.

It was a joke. Although it probably shouldn't be. I know I won't go on again.

Arthur

@drc said:
    This is a company well-regulated forum. It allows healthy discussions but prevents certain discussions (such as anti-PSA and associated companies, and certain other scandals) and likely too many proverbial barroom brawls.

I would prefer the availability of broader topics, but perfectly understand and appreciate that this is a forum on a company's website. It would be daft to expect them to allow this form to be an against-the-company complaint and conspiracy theory forum. However, the hobby needs forums elsewhere where certain topics are openly discussed, such as Net54.

Leon certainly enjoys the dumpster fires as they increase site traffic but even he watches out for those that butter his bread. You would need to find a board funded privately with no ads, therefore no concern over pissing anyone off, in order to truly have open discussion.

Arthur

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Bingo! Stephen King

They filmed the movie in my city. also the same city Stephen King calls home!

Lived & went to college there years ago, ever go to Airport mall or Downeast Collectibles for your cards?

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭

@softparade said:

@Gemyanks10 said:

Me too...lol

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wasn’t around when these “previous members” mentioned here were here. Sounded like it was interesting times for sure.

What would be stopping them from coming back under a new identity if they wanted to participate? Guesss there is more to the story on how/why they left...

• robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2019 11:13AM

edited January 5, 2019 10:39AM

@han_soto said:

@lawyer05 said:

@softparade said:

@Gemyanks10 said:

Me too...lol

I checked into a few of the FB groups things but all of them seemed to be geared more towards “selling” versus discussion, info & camaraderie. Have any emerged geared towards the latter?

To me they are all unorganized, random, no rhyme or reason flea markets. Unless I just haven’t found the “right” one yet.