2»

Comments

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@han_soto said:

@lawyer05 said:

@softparade said:

@Gemyanks10 said:
    Love the CU forum and it will always have a soft spot in my heart as the place where it all started for me. I will always be active here. With that said, I feel Facebook private sports card groups are taking over and are more interactive and transparent.

That's a great observation on the FB groups. I recently joined two and the action is non stop. I haven't traded or anything yet so I'm very new to them but initially it sure looks like a ton of people are doing the FB group thing.

Me too...lol

I checked into a few of the FB groups things but all of them seemed to be geared more towards “selling” versus discussion, info & camaraderie. Have any emerged geared towards the latter?

Yes but they cut the drama quick..its most about selling ..

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

@softparade said:

@han_soto said:

@lawyer05 said:

@softparade said:

@Gemyanks10 said:
    Love the CU forum and it will always have a soft spot in my heart as the place where it all started for me. I will always be active here. With that said, I feel Facebook private sports card groups are taking over and are more interactive and transparent.

That's a great observation on the FB groups. I recently joined two and the action is non stop. I haven't traded or anything yet so I'm very new to them but initially it sure looks like a ton of people are doing the FB group thing.

Me too...lol

I checked into a few of the FB groups things but all of them seemed to be geared more towards “selling” versus discussion, info & camaraderie. Have any emerged geared towards the latter?

To me they are all unorganized, random, no rhyme or reason flea markets. Unless I just haven’t found the “right” one yet.

Then you guys aren’t looking hard enough. Church’s Facebook group “Vintage Wax and Packs” is the best group I’ve ever been a part of with many knowledgeable members. I’ve learned a ton about unopened and cards in general there. There is selling of course, but that group isn’t overrun with it like more modern geared groups are. To each his own, but to think that forums like this are the only viable thing still going is ludicrous. No disrespect intended.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gemyanks10 said:

@softparade said:

@han_soto said:

@lawyer05 said:

@softparade said:

@Gemyanks10 said:

Me too...lol

To me they are all unorganized, random, no rhyme or reason flea markets. Unless I just haven’t found the “right” one yet.

Then you guys aren’t looking hard enough. Church’s Facebook group “Vintage Wax and Packs” is the best group I’ve ever been a part of with many knowledgeable members. I’ve learned a ton about unopened and cards in general there. There is selling of course, but that group isn’t overrun with it like more modern geared groups are. To each his own, but to think that forums like this are the only viable thing still going is ludicrous. No disrespect intended.

Don’t think anybody said forums like this are the only thing going. What was said is that some of us haven’t found a good one yet. Thanks for the heads up on that group. Do you need an invite?

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many of the old guys are now out of the hobby from what they told me.

I was really happy to see Dan aka softparade return - again from what I understand - was a "temporary" out of the hobby guy.

I miss Jeff (BigKidatHeart), David aka Vargha, Steve aka winpitcher, Matt aka Lawmowerman, Scumbi, Storm888 - just to name a few.

I enjoy some that have a little edge - a different perspective as it were - like Kevin aka BALROG - tho I do prefer kindling wood to sports cards.

Yesterday will "always" be the good ole days. So, I was thinking. How can I come up with something that's for today for people to enjoy.

I was at Starbucks reading this months SMR and while PSA may arguably be the premier TPG, we owe everything to it's humble beginnings with Accugrade aka ASA aka Alan Hager. I met him in 1992 - would like to do a little write up on the company and the man behind it - some say he's more on the shady side of the highway?

Mike
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2019 11:12AM

• Options

Wow lawnmowerman was so passionate and WinPitcher had so much knowledge. Thx for giving my memory a kick Mike... there were many. Maybe they will get the itch again like me. Although I left on my own accord. Needed a break and was popping out kids like a pezz dispenser. I always intended to come back and is why I didn’t cash in.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

@softparade said:

@Gemyanks10 said:

@softparade said:

@han_soto said:

@lawyer05 said:

@softparade said:

@Gemyanks10 said:

Me too...lol

Don’t think anybody said forums like this are the only thing going. What was said is that some of us haven’t found a good one yet. Thanks for the heads up on that group. Do you need an invite?

Nah I don’t think so, I know @curch is the owner of it and he approves the join requests, but it’s a great place and hope you join!

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options

BTW, A little story about @Stone193. In 2004 I joined this place with the intention of building a all PSA 9 1978 Topps baseball set. Well we got to chatting real quick like Mike does with everybody. This guy says “Hey man, I want to send you something to help out” So in the mail comes a raw 78 Topps Roy White. This card was a blazer. I mean jaw drop Mint. I was blown away. I sent this card into PSA in one of my earliest subs.... and out pops a GEM MINT PSA 10. Ain’t that something? Who just mails off drop dead mint stuff? That’s all you need to know about Mike.

• Options
    edited January 5, 2019 4:43PM

I know of the Purdy article Robert but never have read - plan to look at it and add.

Hager's persona lies at the epicenter of abject ambivalence. More to come down the road. A quick perception?

The embodiment of sociopathic behavior - possibly a very overtly affable, narcissistic person who could cut off your head and you wouldn't even know you were bleeding?

#########################################

Thanx Dan - again - glad you're here buddy.

Mike
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PatsGuy5000 said:

Bingo! Stephen King

They filmed the movie in my city. also the same city Stephen King calls home!

Lived & went to college there years ago, ever go to Airport mall or Downeast Collectibles for your cards?

I sure did. Frequented both shops. Preferred downeast. Unfortunately both have closed. After Bob died, the family kept downcast open for a few years, but now it is a craft brewery. Larry from twin city In the airport mall also has passed away. His wife ran it for awhile but also closed up shop. I guess if you don't have the passion, it's a hard business. Did you go to husson or UMO?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gemyanks10 said:

Nah I don’t think so, I know @curch is the owner of it and he approves the join requests, but it’s a great place and hope you join!

The wax group is great, but to be fair, with one notable exception, most of the guys there are also on here. My main complaint with Facebook groups is there is no archiving or ability to search. So while it’s very cool people and cool items, it’s more of a “Snapchat” kind of thing.

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@PatsGuy5000 said:

Bingo! Stephen King

They filmed the movie in my city. also the same city Stephen King calls home!

Lived & went to college there years ago, ever go to Airport mall or Downeast Collectibles for your cards?

I sure did. Frequented both shops. Preferred downeast. Unfortunately both have closed. After Bob died, the family kept downcast open for a few years, but now it is a craft brewery. Larry from twin city In the airport mall also has passed away. His wife ran it for awhile but also closed up shop. I guess if you don't have the passion, it's a hard business. Did you go to husson or UMO?

UMO (graduated in 1986), went to both shops regularly as well. I was a big collector in the mid 80’s, wished I had concentrated on the 86 Fleer basketball. Oh well. Bob had a younger guy working with him, can’t recall his name, but they always put sets together and sold lots of packs & singles. Paul Cook, UMO basketball player worked at the mall location, as did Larry’s daughter from time to time. I moved to NH in the early nineties, opened up a shop part time, “Grand Slam Sports”, sold it a few years later. It stayed open about 5 more years, but EBay put most of the card shops out of business. There were 5 card stores in the North Conway area in the early 90’s. Bangor is a nice area, still head up that way to visit my folks.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@Gemyanks10 said:

Nah I don’t think so, I know @curch is the owner of> @Gemyanks10 said:
    @softparade said:

@Gemyanks10 said:

@softparade said:

@han_soto said:

@lawyer05 said:

@softparade said:

@Gemyanks10 said:

Me too...lol

Yeah that’s a group with excellent content. Confirmed! Thx

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@Gemyanks10 said:

@softparade said:

@han_soto said:

@lawyer05 said:

@softparade said:

@Gemyanks10 said:

Me too...lol

i wil try it

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

@Gemyanks10 said:

The wax group is great, but to be fair, with one notable exception, most of the guys there are also on here. My main complaint with Facebook groups is there is no archiving or ability to search. So while it’s very cool people and cool items, it’s more of a “Snapchat” kind of thing.

I couldnt agree more. The information on the FB groups seems to me very disorganized and the other aspects of no archiving and lack of searchable content keeps me less interested. FB seems more like a flea market than a place to get info.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@Bharris said:
    I wasn't trying to be disrespectful or mean. There was a time when everyone used Instant Messenger and now younger people have never heard of it. The other issue this forum has is you guys are mostly vintage. What you buy sell trade and group break. Which is great but the couple other forums that are still strong with daily traffic and forum activity is mostly new material. I personally collect both that's why I still pop on here once a week or so.

I - personally - didn't take offense to your OP - thought it was your opinion.

The fact is that this forum is on the older side.

I did this survey back in April:

The bulk of the responders are 40s to 50s.

I would more than welcome discussions on new cards since I do some of the sets every year.

As I said.

While this forum has changed, it'll always be what we currently make of it.

Mike
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

@Bharris said:
    I wasn't trying to be disrespectful or mean. There was a time when everyone used Instant Messenger and now younger people have never heard of it. The other issue this forum has is you guys are mostly vintage. What you buy sell trade and group break. Which is great but the couple other forums that are still strong with daily traffic and forum activity is mostly new material. I personally collect both that's why I still pop on here once a week or so.

I - personally - didn't take offense to your OP - thought it was your opinion.

The fact is that this forum is on the older side.

I did this survey back in April:

The bulk of the responders are 40s to 50s.

I would more than welcome discussions on new cards since I do some of the sets every year.

As I said.

I’ve actually added some MODERN because of this board. Seeing the new stuff in pickup threads really helped to kindle my interest. And in looking at the pop reports, some cards look ‘cheap’ in 10. The way I see it the longer you are from issue date, the more likely once potential 10s have turned to 9s (and so on) due to poor storage and factory flaws.

I would say the pickups thread features a really healthy mix and has since I have joined...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

Amen, Mike. Let's just have fun looking at cards and talking about them.

Andy