Home Precious Metals

What I sent out and what I got back

TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buyer claims assay card was cracked. I call BS.
You could drop one from five stories ( 50 feet) and they won't crack or break . Then, to add insult to injury, the bar returned to me is twice as thick as what was sent out. The ills of eBay and PayPal are evident. I don't lie, cheat, or steal. They will not protect sellers.

How fun. Business there has cost me nearly 4 grand, in the past month. Three bars stolen by way of fraud and lies.
Both eBay and paypow backs the buyers with less than 10 feedback (together) and new users with less than a year (combined) on eBay. And ebay tells me I have no recourse , so give them their money back. One buyer kept both bars ( filing his complaint through pay pal) . One sent back a fake (substituting a real one ) .
Their names are in my sigline. Sellers beware.

Comments

• mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

I agree total bs by scumbags. I feel sorry for you.
    EBay is getting worse and worse.

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2018 8:36PM

I was just getting ready to list some stuff now hesitant. I think I will list with ridiculously high asking price w/ make offer. A poor method of vetting but I can't think of anything else.

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

The definitation if insanity:

• roob47roob47 Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that 2 sides , I hate that it has happened like that as I am also a seller on eBay. Damn 4K would hurt me bad , hope you can recoup some of it at least.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jinx86 said:
    If serial number did not match on the returned bar, I'd think you could fight it.

Agree. Also if you dropped off your mailer at the PO, the weight for the returned item might not match. I make it a habit of always including a picture of the serial number, if available, for bullion items in my auctions.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

both thief's added to my blocked bidder list.

• bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you push hard enough and run it up the chain eBay may finally make it right for you.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

OMG, scumbags !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:

? Selling on eBay ?

• tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

Wow. Sorry. Thanks for providing the info.

COA
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:
    I was just getting ready to list some stuff now hesitant. I think I will list with ridiculously high asking price w/ make offer. A poor method of vetting but I can't think of anything else.

If I see a coin that I want on eBay and there's a "ridiculously high asking price" I won't even waste my time with the "make an offer" option because the seller is obviously quite delusional as to the value of his coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• unspendableunspendable Posts: 127 ✭✭✭

just a matter of time until they do it to someone else, maybe with a different account... scumbag they are...

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2019 7:19AM

What's worse - when the word gets around, this will become more and more common.

Except, that there's really nothing worse than what's happened already to you Joe. Very sorry to see this happen.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sorry to hear, I sure hope ultimately you will be able to recover your funds.

This is exactly the reason I wont even think of selling PMs on eBay. It blows my mind that an honest seller with impeccable feedback can sell an item to someone with a new account / low feedback, get scammed and eBay immediately sides with the buyer.

As I make a lot of purchases I am glad that eBay and Paypal protects buyers. I have been scammed by a seller more than once and luckily I was easily able to recover funds. Certainly feel comfortable as a buyer but no way would I ever sell there.

Again, sure hope it works out for you. What kind of parasite can live with themselves after ripping someone off like this?

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Buyer claims assay card was cracked. I call BS.
    You could drop one from five stories ( 50 feet) and they won't crack or break . Then, to add insult to injury, the bar returned to me is twice as thick as what was sent out. The ills of eBay and PayPal are evident. I don't lie, cheat, or steal. They will not protect sellers.

How fun. Business there has cost me nearly 4 grand, in the past month. Three bars stolen by way of fraud and lies.
    Both eBay and paypow backs the buyers with less than 10 feedback (together) and new users with less than a year (combined) on eBay. And ebay tells me I have no recourse , so give them their money back. One buyer kept both bars ( filing his complaint through pay pal) . One sent back a fake (substituting a real one ) .
    Their names are in my sigline. Sellers beware.

eBay names like that should be a red flag. Sorry that you got stiffed again Joe and a MAJOR reason why I won't sell there unless as a last resort. I think I'd stick to certified gold only.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry to hear this. I too will only buy on ebay, I quit selling on there many years ago. I've luckily never been scammed when I did sell, but I listen to stories like this, many of them and it has certainly scared me away from ever selling on there.

If I have something of value to sell, it's in person and for cash, period!

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

When it rains... it pours. TwoSides2aCoin, you have certainly had your share recently. Hope this new year treats you better. Thanks for the heads up on the scumbags, for the rest of us.

----- kj
  • dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

Send Joe Pesci to their front door.

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry Joe. While I sometimes wish for days of old, we will have to find solace in knowing that karma is real.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree to push ebay hard and I mean HARD.

I feel that 80% of bar gold on ebay is fake. I'd never deal in gold on ebay.

bob :(

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a shame... that is not an insignificant loss...I hope you can force the issue and get at least some remuneration. Cheers, RickO

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a pit in my stomach for you. I hope that thief gets what’s coming.
    Selling on eBay isn’t worth the hassle anymore. The BST is the best place imo, other than a face to face transaction.

just curious, how many positive feedbacks did they have?

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@bigjpst said:
    If you push hard enough and run it up the chain eBay may finally make it right for you.

speak to paypal's high value fraud department.

Yes. Challenge this with Paypal and make ebay aware of the details and this "buyer".

Best of luck.

I suspect, that your scammers have tried the same M.O. with other sellers. I agree with derryb in getting PayPal's high value fraud department involved. With a potential 4 grand loss involved, it might be prudent to seek the help of an attorney....

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@abcde12345 said:

? Selling on eBay ?

@abcde12345 said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@abcde12345 said:

? Selling on eBay ?

Going to work every day and expecting a paycheck is insanity ?

Selling on ebay and expecting to not be deceived or defrauded is insanity.

edited January 1, 2019 2:40PM

@abcde12345 said:
    Selling on ebay and expecting to not be deceived or defrauded is insanity.

>

Really ? I suppose you could be right , but millions of people are there daily, and most (even me) rarely have problems. I assure you I'm sane.
    Also, as a follow-up and update,
    Ebay told me I could reimburse half the payment to the "PUD" and they'll cover the other half. (Which upsets me because I'm still out the gold and half the money)
    Pay Pal is investigating the other transaction and said they will have a determination in 75 days.
    As to a previous question : one user has 2 feedback and the other has 8.

As to doing it right every time , I suppose I'm insane.

One more thing : one user is named "tehmil" but the reimbursement went to "Louise "

An alias. ??? Unverified user, as well

Twenty years ago? No. Even ten years ago? No. The last couple of years? Yes. So many fraudulent chargebacks and opportunists roaming the halls of eBay sales just looking for items such as yours to rip you off. Many solid sellers are abandoning ebay because of it.
    With an average profit margin of perhaps 5% taking a hit or two such as you have described can place a good seller, such as yourself, in jeapordy. ebay and Paypal need do do a paradigm shift and become the watchdog over SELLERS as well as BUYERS.

Thanks for clarifying. ^. I will be sending notice to the legal team at eBay, via snail mail. They woke a warrior.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

One more thing : one user is named "tehmil" but the reimbursement went to "Louise "

An alias. ??? Unverified user, as well

Not unusual for ebay ID to be different than PP ID.

I include in all my descriptions: "We ship only to confirmed or verified paypal addresses. If you are not confirmed or verified with paypal, do not bid or purchase, your payment will be returned to you."

Not that I actually return the payment, but it may prevent a fraudster from purchasing.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Terrible situation. Wish there were serial numbers on that bar. At least I assume there's none. Some people just ****

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2019 3:59PM

@PerryHall said:

@JimTyler said:

If I see a coin that I want on eBay and there's a "ridiculously high asking price" I won't even waste my time with the "make an offer" option because the seller is obviously quite delusional as to the value of his coin.

Think I over shot, just high enough to make someone motivated to make an offer. Ex. Ask $2500 for a $2k coin, wasn't thinking of asking $5k for a $2k coin.

• CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry for your loss, blocked all three.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinCrazyPA said:
    Sorry for your loss, blocked all three.

that's only two user IDs in the OP separated by a comma. Just wanna make sure you do block the idiots.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

can a seller demand 25 or 50 positive feedbacks or no sale?

edited January 1, 2019 8:01PM

@unspendable said:
    can a seller demand 25 or 50 positive feedbacks or no sale?

I wish... although I don't think ebay is on our side (seller's) . Maybe they should limit new users to a dollar transaction below $100 or less. Until such time as they prove their worthiness to be there.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a seller I too have been duped and screwed by low feedback buyers. I have always prevailed with ebay because I've been a seller for 18 years or more and have an almost perfect feedback record with tens of thousands of transactions. Just don't stop until they rule in your favor.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any time that I have qualms about the person making the purchase (whacky names/low feedback), I make sure to dot my i's and cross my t's with ebay/paypal.

I only allow paypal for verified users and I state so in the auctions when I do them. I also mail it so only the right person, with ID, could receive it. I would also let them know, prior to ship, how I packaged it, what the weight was without packaging and with packaging, etc.

It seems a hassle, but it has kept me clean, so far. That is what I do for things over a few hundred dollars, particularly when the buyer appears sketchy.

If they don't bother to reply, at all, through the ebay system, after I contact them after the "win", I deem some of them "sketchy" and get pretty cautious.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are these thieves in US?. If you have serial # etc. it could be a criminal matter IMO

edited January 2, 2019 10:57AM

The bars only have the serial number on the assay card. Yes. Tehmil Baghdasaryan (aka Louise Judge is in California) The other one is in N.J. Neither will answer their phone.

• maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    The bars only have the serial number on the assay card. Yes. Tehmil Baghdasaryan (aka Louise Judge is in California) The other one is in N.J. Neither will answer their phone.

I'm not an attorney but sounds like you could use a Federal LE report.

I believe it is ebay's duty to protect sellers who pay good money for a service and it should be their place to prosecute people who commit fraud which should be fairly easy to prove. This may go on more than we know and ebay is responsible I would want 100% refund, part of doing business for ebay and if they want to continue as a business. just my thoughts.

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am so sorry :(

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not see the bad eBayers on your sig line - could someone repost them?

Did you pull all of your eBay listings, or just nothing listed now?

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

So sorry @TwoSides2aCoin this happened to you. I wish you the best in reconciliation.

Ditto here on the ebayer's handles. I'm pretty much full-time ebay buying/selling now so this carp really is troubling. I don't deal anymore with bullion -- too many pitfalls, so it's legal tender now if anything.

The GOOD side is most eBayers are GOOD people. I've had 1000's of transactions 99% positive. Isn't it true that the 1% F's it up for everyone? But we don't need to cower or stay out of the race because. It's like not driving a car because you might get killed. Just always have your defenses in place -- be smart.

Sharing stories like this helps us all, so thanks for the reality check!

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2019 8:52PM

Yikes. There's more than one reason I don't sell much there any more. I'd raise the roof until eBay came to my aid.

I think there might be a business opportunity brewing for a third-party brokering service who can accept the goods and payment, verify everything, forward the shipment, and guarantee the transaction for both parties...... for a percentage, of course.