Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Neat Display Case. What Else is Out There?

MattTheRiley posted this good looking display case/box/cabinet.

Does anyone else have something equally good looking or unique they use to display their collection? Where did you get it? Just curious.

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very impressive case, especially full of coins :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one like that, but with half as many drawers... purchased it off ebay years ago....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I stroll the flea market, I see machinists tool boxes similar to MTRs chest of drawers. Most are wood with lines drawers for the fine tools, some are metal. I'm gonna look closer next time.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

You just gave me an idea ...... we can hide our coins in the tool boxes in the garage and no one with think of it as valuables

@Namvet69 said:
    When I stroll the flea market, I see machinists tool boxes similar to MTRs chest of drawers. Most are wood with lines drawers for the fine tools, some are metal. I'm gonna look closer next time.

• Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    You just gave me an idea ...... we can hide our coins in the tool boxes in the garage and no one with think of it as valuables

Just hope that the thief doesn’t work part time as a craftsman! ;)

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    I crafted this one from a tea organizer. Cut up some blue boxes for separation. Holds 96 slabs.

Perfect! That would hold a full set of Morgan Silver Dollars by date and mintmark.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice cases in this thread!

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some fantastic storage boxes fellas. The OCD in me loves organization!

• Options
    PurpleEchoPurpleEcho Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

edwardjulio, is that your workmanship? The inlays are off the hook!

AKA Pakasmom

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BJandTundra said:

Does anyone else have something equally good looking or unique they use to display their collection? Where did you get it? Just curious.

What a nice looking display case!!! What do the skinny drawers on top look like? From this photo, it almost looks like they hold just the rounds, ungraded raw... And where may I ask did you get this? Handcrafted perhaps? Excellent box!!!!!!!!

• Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

To Namvet6_9 and _Paradisefound: I am already using a Machinist Chest which belonged to my Father. Cleaned it up a few years ago and use it to store odds and ends coins in it. Nothing of the magnitude of some of the items on this thread, but useful and sentimental at the same time.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice display cases. I just use PCGS and NGC boxes. Woe is me !!! ;)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use Lighthouse trays and place them into a Pelican Case.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BJandTundra said:
    To Namvet6_9 and _Paradisefound: I am already using a Machinist Chest which belonged to my Father. Cleaned it up a few years ago and use it to store odds and ends coins in it. Nothing of the magnitude of some of the items on this thread, but useful and sentimental at the same time.

Way cool examples in this thread! @BJandTundra, I'd like to see a pic of yours if you have one.

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a relevant concern about would stain, varnish or lacquer, plastic velvet lining and adhesives gassing out and harming / changing a coins surface? I love the look of these wooden cases but the chemicals they’re made of kind of worry me. There is a guy in town who has a roll top dest that’s famous for toning silver and I would think the age of the box and how long it’s gassed out would come into play. A lot of effort to craft these and I recognize that.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    I crafted this one from a tea organizer. Cut up some blue boxes for separation. Holds 96 slabs.

That is a really nice case! That would hold my 7070 and a few other favorites.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bodin made a couple pretty cool ones.

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the old time coin cabinets. If I found one that could display 150 slabs, I’d seriously consider it. PCGS blue box storage detracts from the enjoyment of my collection.

I definitely want to get one when I have enough raw ancient coins to justify it. I saw some for sale at the NYINC show last year.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lighthouse carries several display boxes, some for slabs some for raw coins. Quite pricey but very nice for displays.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,684 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always wanted to order one of these:

http://www.coincabinets.com/coronet.html

The guy has many different designs and sizes of cabinets! All look pretty cool.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jabba said:
    Very nice wood! I like them but you can get the big ones into a safe

A safe room maybe LOL.

• Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 998 ✭✭✭

I chronicled my journey to build one a few years ago.
    Click HERE

• Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice coin display case. It looks to be a special built chest made by Peter Nichols. I know that company was making chest for certified coins. I have one but it is an older one with only drawers for raw coins or coins in capsules.

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice @shinsakuto :)
    boston

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Thankyou

• Options

This one is identical to another cabinet that I have which Spink is still using :)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=EZPJ6J5r7iw&t=357s

https://youtube.com/watch?v=casasiCvVt8&t=30s

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m too scared to use a cabinet. I don’t want cabinet friction! All my coins will be AU58...

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:

@Namvet69 said:

Great idea, even better if you didn't most it on a forum.

• Options
    shinsakutoshinsakuto Posts: 13 ✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:
    I’m too scared to use a cabinet. I don’t want cabinet friction! All my coins will be AU58...

Sorry but "cabinet friction" is like old wives tales in modern coin collecting (I mean from late 19th century onward).
    Frictions do occur when the spaces between the trays are not big enough to accommodate the thickness of some coins causing friction as the trays slide and catches the surface of a very thick coin. This is only thing you need to watch out for.

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shinsakuto said:

@Pnies20 said:

Sorry but "cabinet friction" is like old wives tales in modern coin collecting (I mean from late 19th century onward).
    Frictions do occur when the spaces between the trays are not big enough to accommodate the thickness of some coins causing friction as the trays slide and catches the surface of a very thick coin. This is only thing you need to watch out for.

It was a joke...

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 325 ✭✭✭✭✭

Made for a friend's CC dollars

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

As someone who barely got a C in Shop, I'm always deeply impressed by people who have the skills to make things with their own hands - really beautiful work shown in this thread.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:

Have you seen the price of tools lately. Top theft item in garages.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BJandTundra said:

That is a very nice coin display.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ldhair said:
    This was on ebay many years ago.

Wow that is so cool I have to start looking for something like that. Do you remember what the asking price was?

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    shinsakutoshinsakuto Posts: 13 ✭✭✭

For those who prefer to collect their coin slabbed

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2024 5:31AM

Lots of good ideas…

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji