Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Neat Display Case. What Else is Out There?

2»

Comments

• Options
    WiscKauWiscKau Posts: 94 ✭✭✭

Many years ago on this forum were quite a few posts about gassing of various wood types and their affects on coins.

• Options
    shinsakutoshinsakuto Posts: 13 ✭✭✭

@WiscKau said:
    Many years ago on this forum were quite a few posts about gassing of various wood types and their affects on coins.

Thats also true with antique cabinets using type of glue or even leather bound trays. In Britain professional coin cabinets that focus on proper conservation only appear in the later quarter of the 19th century, but before that cabinets are made by furniture crafstman hired by the patron and are less concern about the material used. In our local university they have a collection with a mid 19th century coin cabinet that was made by a craftsman using wood from a church destroyed by lightening that needed de-gassing.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WiscKau said:

I was wondering about the stains used. The fumes in those attractive boxes could accelerate something not wanted.

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PillarDollarCollector said:

@ldhair said:
    This was on ebay many years ago.

Wow that is so cool I have to start looking for something like that. Do you remember what the asking price was?

I quit bidding at about $1200. Shipping was going to run about $350. Not sure what it actually sold for.

Larry

• Options
    shinsakutoshinsakuto Posts: 13 ✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2024 8:58AM

@davewesen said:

@WiscKau said:

I was wondering about the stains used. The fumes in those attractive boxes could accelerate something not wanted.

The trays and inside of the cabinet are not treated with stains, the fumes would have evaporated anyway. I cant vouch for cabinets made by hobbyists but I don't ever recall odour other than natural wood in any professional cabinets.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file