Home PSA Set Registry Forum

? about cards being damaged while grading..

I have no disaster stories about this, but I have recieved a very few cards back that I just know I wouldn't have sent to PSA with the corner damage now showing post-grading.
My question is, has anyone here ever been contacted by PSA to say, "hey, we're really sorry, but our grader whacked the corner of your card on his desk while grading, and we'd like to work something out'?
With 7 million cards graded, I'd think this must have come up, but I don't recall hearing anything like it. Thx.
Working on 1969 through 1975 Basketball.

Comments

• PSA once called me with a "damaged during sealing" regarding a 66 common in a submission. I thought it had a chance of a 9 so I valued it a $40 even though the book was under $20 in 8. It graded as an 8, it was a higher pop card. I think I got eight free submissions for it as their first offer. Seemed more than fair and it only happened once to me.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Fuzz-
    was this a couple of years ago when Charlie was still there?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Griffens,
    It was a couple of years ago but I didn't know Charlie so I do not know if he was involved.
    But the service I got then was great and have not had a problem since.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • September at Fort Washington, PSA slabbed a 62 Mays about 1/4" in from the border and stripped off quite a bit of the front paper. They wrote me a check for the SMR value.

<< <i>September at Fort Washington, PSA slabbed a 62 Mays about 1/4" in from the border and stripped off quite a bit of the front paper. They wrote me a check for the SMR value. >>

was the check for the SMR of a PSA 1 ?? image
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    <<<They wrote me a check for the SMR value. >>>>

Further proof that big dealers get all the breaksimage

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

yep.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Well, I just got my first PSA card with a hair inside. How appropriate that it's a '69-'70 Happy Hairston (PSA 7). How even more appropriate that it looks really weak for a 7 (big stain in border and corner wrinkling).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Just curious if anyone has received cards back from PSA recently that were damaged while being sealed in the holder. I received a June submission with 12 (out of of 60) cards with corner damage that was not there previously -- 3 of the damaged cards are now in psa 9 holders, so it is obvious the damage was not there when they were graded. The card were damaged in the same manner -- one or both of the top corners were bent backwards and are now "dinged". Any advice on how to resolve this with PSA?
  • envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    I guess you have some really bad luck, or a bad eye. I've sent in well over 2000 cards and I've had one that was damaged. I basically got told to get bent when I brought up the damage on the card I had and I was more than a little pi$$ed off but whatever. It's a $50 card in a 9, $500+ in a 10. This one was a rock star but was sent back to me in a 4 holder. There was a crescent shaped crease on the top edge, presumably from the card being pulled out of the card saver.
  • Not an issue of a bad eye as the grades on the submision were very good. Note that three of the damaged cards are in PSA 9 holders and the others are in PSA 8 holders. So if I missed the damage, so did the grader. No way was the damage there before grading.
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I've been suspicious on a few occasions that PSA damaged a card as the card was handled. I'd say there have been 5 to 10 cards out of 1500 that I've graded where the damage was very suspicious and I'm nearly 100% positive that the card wasn't damanged when I mailed the cards in. Once again, it's nearly impossible to prove unless you scan every card before you mail them in.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    I've had one damaged before, and they "fixed" it themselves. Several others that had not been touched on the face of the card came back covered in fingerprints(chrome finish cards) and in PSA 10 holders
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've had one damaged before, and they "fixed" it themselves. Several others that had not been touched on the face of the card came back covered in fingerprints(chrome finish cards) and in PSA 10 holders >>

I have a PSA 10 (FP), too. Big smudge all over it. Frustrating...
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Hi Ironranger,
    Not sure what you can do with PSA to resolve this. It's your word against theirs. I guess you could call or email Joe O or Ivan (operations manager) and discuss it with them. It's got to be frustrating I know. The fact they still slabbed them into 9 holders tells me that something might have occured during the sealing of the slab stage.

I've had two cards that were pinched during this stage and psa made good on both cards with grading vouchers for the value of the card damaged and I got the cards back raw.

Also I submitted a '57 Ray Berry RC last year for on-site grading at a show and I really thought the card had an excellent shot at a 8. I get the card back and it's a 6. Someone, not sure who, maybe the grader, chipped or flaked off a corner tip. I was pissed, but I couldn't do anything about it. It was my word against theirs and I had no physical proof in the form of a pre-grading scan of the card to show them to back up my claim. That was at least a $400-600 loss for me. $hit happens.

Sorry your cards got nicked up.

Rich
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    OT, but has anyone got back any slabs recently that had cracks to the slab on one corner?

I got back two subs this week with about 650 cards in all. At least 150 of them had slight cracks to the slab corners. Like it was caused by too much pressure being applied during the slabbing process. The cards were unaffected but I hope I don't get returns from buyers because of this slab problem. Not good.

• digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Just curious if anyone has received cards back from PSA recently that were damaged while being sealed in the holder. I received a June submission with 12 (out of of 60) cards with corner damage that was not there previously -- 3 of the damaged cards are now in psa 9 holders, so it is obvious the damage was not there when they were graded. The card were damaged in the same manner -- one or both of the top corners were bent backwards and are now "dinged". Any advice on how to resolve this with PSA?
    >>

Maybe, I sent in two cards a while back that I expected 10s on. One got a 10, the other a 9. I inspected the 9. Crease + dinged corner that weren't there when I sent the card in. image
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    If PSA damaged you card while in PSA's possession, PSA should reimburse you for fair value of the card. Good luck dealing with PSA though. I am sure they will give you a hard time first with whether the card was damaged in their possession and then later with regard to what is considered a fair market value.
  • I'm glad to hear other people frustrated with the same thing. I sent off a '57 Willie Mays a couple of weeks ago that was a solid centered PSA 8 (7 at worst). When I got it back, it had some chipping on the bottom edge that was not there when I sent it off & came back a PSA 5. I did have scans of the card before the grading process, but PSA said it must have happened during shipping. Funny thing about it was that the Mays card was one of the center cards in a 10 card stack wrapped with cardboard. None of the other '57 cards were damaged & all came back 7's & 8's with one 9. I emailed customer service with pics before & after & was pretty much told "Not us, man." Anyway....that's my horror story for card damage. Anybody ever send a card in twice that PSA said was altered the 1st time & get a nice grade the 2nd go round? That's happened to me several times with cards I've even pulled straight from packs & sent directly to PSA.
  • Yeah, I had one in my last order. It was a low value card I almost didn't send in, but I decided I wanted it slabbed and it was perfect, so I submitted it. When it came back it was a 9 and I was baffled until I saw the edge chipping on the back bottom edge. I have had a few cards before that came back lower than expected w/ damage that I couldn't say for sure was caused by PSA, but this time I am certain.

Kinda sucks, but I suppose it will happen every now and again - a risk of grading, I suppose. On the other hand, had it been an expensive card I really cared about, well then I might think differently image

Take it easy,
    Jared
    "You consider me the young apprentice,
    Caught between the Scylla and Charibdes,
    Hypnotized by you if I should linger,
    Staring at the ring around your finger" - Sting

Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.
  • Just ran into this forum and thought I would add to it. PSA damaged 2 of my cards and set my other cards extremely loose and crooked in their slabs. I contacted them to let them know about it and they were acting weird telling me I have to pay to ship them back to them so they can determine if they damaged the cards or not. They were acting like I was making it up! I spent $128 to grade 5 cards and all but one were slabbed properly and 2 of my cards had dirt, stains and bent corners with a nail indentation mark on it resulting in a 6 grade, which I never would of sent in had they been in that condition. Anyways my question for you all is has this ever happened to you and what would you do in my situation? One of my damaged cards was a 2000 Private Stock Tom Brady Rookie that was definately mint when I sent it in. Thanks in advance for your advice...

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

After years of watching how people handle this issue?

Act like a gentleman, present your evidence and expect the worst but hope for the best.

Obviously, this board is sympathetic because we’re all submitters and have a shared perspective.

For PSA, I imagine the problem with this issue (from THEIR perspective), I’m guessing, is that it’s very easy for the nefarious types to claim this type of issue all the time.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭

PSA damaged this card of mine during the grading process:

That huge chuck of paper loss to left of Shang's nose wasn't there when I sent it in. Luckily, I had a scan of the card before I sent it in. I contacted PSA and sent them before and after scans. I thought it would be an open and shut case, but they originally told me I was SOL. That obviously did not sit well with me, so I reached out to Joe O. He promptly contacted me and provided very fair compensation.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

I’ve had cards damaged and was contacted by PSA when this occurred. However, on some recent 86 Topps submissions, the cards post-slab do not look like cards I would have subbed. There were very noticeable flaws. I did not contact them about it.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭

@ironranger said:
    Just curious if anyone has received cards back from PSA recently that were damaged while being sealed in the holder. I received a June submission with 12 (out of of 60) cards with corner damage that was not there previously -- 3 of the damaged cards are now in psa 9 holders, so it is obvious the damage was not there when they were graded. The card were damaged in the same manner -- one or both of the top corners were bent backwards and are now "dinged". Any advice on how to resolve this with PSA?

did they have Penny Sleeves or no penny sleeves ?

• The cards were submitted in penny sleeves. After my original post, I had yet another submission with similar damage. After that submission, I stopped submitting cards in penny sleeves and haven't had a problem since.

The cards were submitted in penny sleeves in Card Saver 1s?

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Yes, penny sleeves and CS1s.

Thanks. I started doing that recently thinking it was providing extra protection for the cards, but it appears it may be doing the opposite. I always cut a small slit on one side so the cards can slide in from the side (and not the top) to protect the corners. But the person handling them would have to know it's there. Thanks for the heads up.