Home U.S. Coin Forum

$2 dollar eBay penny is actually MATTE PROOF!

Bought a 1909-P penny on eBay for a grand total of $2.60.......turns out to be 1909 MATTE PROOF (reverse die #2) (the rarer die)

Just wanted to share.........how lucky am I? :)

Cheers!

Comments

• JasonGamingJasonGaming Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭

Not doubting you, but can we get a link to the die diagnostics that match with this coin? And are you getting it graded?

Always buying nice toned coins! Searching for a low grade 1873 Arrows DDO Dime and 1842-O Small Date Quarter.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. Now to verify authenticity. Hard to do that with pics.

Let us know how it goes.

• cherrypickerrrrrcherrypickerrrrr Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited November 15, 2018 7:36AM

It's from Kevin Flynn's Matte Proof Lincoln Book.........this was the most recent addition for the 1909-P M.PL. I believe it was added officially to the book in 2014. (reverse die # 2, with DDR most noticeable on the "TED" of "UNITED".

And of course, going out to PCGS very soon!

• @Hemispherical said:
    Nice. Now to verify authenticity. Hard to do that with pics.

Let us know how it goes.

Yeah for sure. I didn't post close ups of the diagnostics, because it's already been verified. But maybe I should so people can see!

Just wanted to let all my penny collecting buddies know that you can still get lucky sometimes! :)

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was that die not also used to make circulation strikes?

Collector, occasional seller

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it likely to be worth the cost of slabbing when in that grade (assuming it once was a matte proof) that is the real question. All I see is a $2.00 coin.

All glory is fleeting.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

So what does a cleaned proof, XF details 1909 cent go for, assuming our hosts agree with your assessment? Looking forward to better pictures of the diagnostics. If the reverse die was also used to make business strikes, don't you also need obverse diagnostics for the proof die pair?

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't tell from the pics but hopefully PCGS will give the nod.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    Can't tell from the pics but hopefully PCGS will give the nod.

bob :)

1909's come with nice rims. Good luck.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are no good coin buys on ebay. LOL.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

a matte proof for $2? what a cherrypick :):)

• Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2018 10:23AM

Here is the Trueview of a 1909 proof die 2 I used to own with the diagnostics circled. Click on image to enlarge.
    Scratches in front of Lincolns nose, scratch under UNUM, scratch inside the C of cent and the doubling of TED in united.

• @Rob41281 said:
    Here is the Trueview of a 1909 proof die 2 I used to own with the diagnostics circled. Click on image to enlarge.
    Scratches in front of Lincolns nose, scratch under UNUM, scratch inside the C of cent and the doubling of TED in united.

Yessir. :)

• @davewesen said:
    a matte proof for $2? what a cherrypick :):)

I know, right! It will probably get a "Genuine" grade. But none the less, I will be able to sell for at least a couple hundred bucks and I bought it for $2.60! I'll take that all day.

I also just bought my first roll of wheats expecting to get all 40's and 50's and got a 1936 DDO 102. ;)

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based upon those images, put me in the camp of circulated business strike for this coin.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• FunwithMPLFunwithMPL Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2018 12:00PM

This is a photos of die B of an MATTE PROOF Lincoln cent

Collector
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Based upon those images, put me in the camp of circulated business strike for this coin.

I'm with Tom. Sorry.

• Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FunwithMPL said:
    That is not a MATTE PROOF Lincoln cent no detail in the hair or beard. And doubling does not go both ways. UNITED on the 1909 reverse die B MATTE PROOF Lincoln cent the letters NITE show that the die was re-cut. See photo of the 1909 reverse die B after TomB post

Are you referring to the OP or the one I posted?

• FunwithMPLFunwithMPL Posts: 328 ✭✭✭

Rob41281 the very first one of the post yours is a MATTE PROOF and a very nice at that. Carl

Collector
  • All these comments about how it's not a Matte Proof are very entertaining. I promise you it is.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

let us know what PCGS says.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Will do. Most likely will get a "Genuine" grade, but we'll see. Just got offered $250 cash at a local shop and I declined. Will be going out to Cali soon, and I will post pics when it returns! :)

• @FadeToBlack said:

@cherrypickerrrrr said:
    Will do. Most likely will get a "Genuine" grade, but we'll see. Just got offered $250 cash at a local shop and I declined. Will be going out to Cali soon, and I will post pics when it returns! :)

Hahaha. Never believe anything on the internet! ;)

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    There are no good coin buys on ebay. LOL.

I mostly agree, with the exception of Pcgs graded varieties in unattributed slabs. Often at prices 1/10th to 1/4th of list price, sell for less than half list and still double $, or better. Or build an awesome variety collection. Just a few
    Pcgs:
    1962 pr67cam half with misplaced D, buy $80/ trade sell $450 (value $800?)
    1938 ms67fs Jefferson. Qdo buy $300/ list $1,250?
    Same ms66fs buy $175/ list $475
    Same ms66 buy 40-50/ list $275
    1939 ddo ms66fs buy $90 / sell $2,700+ (Regret regret regret)
    1952 re engraved raw x8 buy $100?/ 5 pr67 3 pr66 sold $50-375 each last year

• bjaminbjamin Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

@cherrypickerrrrr said:
    Will do. Most likely will get a "Genuine" grade, but we'll see. Just got offered $250 cash at a local shop and I declined. Will be going out to Cali soon, and I will post pics when it returns! :)

Y
    Then you should have taken it at $100 times, as opposed to a lot less once you spend the money for grading.

• gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2018 3:13PM

@cherrypickerrrrr said:

Going to Columbia South America? Out here we call it California. :*

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I say if is a PROOF. But I have been known to sometimes be wrong in the past.
    Now, in the interest of fair play: No matter what it comes back as you must commit to show.
    It's disingenous to have it come back as a business strike and burry the thread without a followup.

• UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fortunately your downside risk is minimal.

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gonzer said:

Going to Columbia South America? Out here we call it California. :*

And I suppose you also want us to believe that people who live in San Francisco don't actually refer to it as Frisco. :D:D

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cherrypickerrrrr said:

Please, PLEASE do!

@cherrypickerrrrr

$2.6 —> $250 = ~960%

If you are planning on keeping the cent then the numbers does not matter... I guess... 🤔

• BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

Abraham Lincoln (of one cent coin fame) is credited with observing, "the chicken is the wisest of all the animals as she doesn't cackle until after the egg is laid.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Tell the dealer to up the offer to $300. If he does, take the money and run!

And if he doesn't, say "OK, I guess I'll have to settle for your offer of $250."

The double die shows clear notching on the underside of the letters, indicating a second punch up and to the right of the first punch of the die while your example shows doubling directly to the right that has the flat look of machine doubling. I see doubling on yours, but it looks different than the double die.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

I'm no expert. And as no expert, I would have taken $250 for a coin I paid $2.60 for and ran like the wind.

That being said, many people here are suggesting it is not a matte proof at all. OP seems extremely overconfident, unless this new user knows more than everyone else here. So I would believe this coin is not a matte proof and that OP is throwing his money away and his time away coming out to California to submit it. But whatever floats OP's boat.

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BJandTundra said:
    Abraham Lincoln (of one cent coin fame) is credited with observing, "the chicken is the wisest of all the animals as she doesn't cackle until after the egg is laid.

Especially on such a questionable call from someone with limited experience.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

"How lucky am I?"

Hmmm...let's see...I'm about to have $35 buried in a 3 cent coin...I'm not feeling that lucky.

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS Choice Uncirculated 1909 VDB Doubled Die Obverse can be bought for about $250.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• People had a lot of trouble believing this. How will they feel if they knew I accidentally bought a 1909 V.D.B. Matte Proof Genuine example for $5, and just now realized it months later?

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

congrats cherrypickerrrrr, if people never found scores, they would stop looking.

When are you going to show us these in slabs?

• CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

@cherrypickerrrrr said:
    People had a lot of trouble believing this. How will they feel if they knew I accidentally bought a 1909 V.D.B. Matte Proof Genuine example for $5, and just now realized it months later?

Wait, do we have an update on the first coin yet?

Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it grades. . .

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

@cherrypickerrrrr said:
    People had a lot of trouble believing this. How will they feel if they knew I accidentally bought a 1909 V.D.B. Matte Proof Genuine example for $5, and just now realized it months later?

That would be great! Any pics to share?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file