Home U.S. Coin Forum

$2 dollar eBay penny is actually MATTE PROOF!

2»

Comments

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cherrypickerrrrr said:
    Will do. Most likely will get a "Genuine" grade, but we'll see. Just got offered $250 cash at a local shop and I declined. Will be going out to Cali soon, and I will post pics when it returns! :)

You declined $250 for that?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All glory is fleeting.
  • RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

A. Is the piece genuine: i.e., a matte proof as claimed by the OP?
    B. Well, if "A" is "NO" then nothing else matters.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck, gotta take a chance sometimes. If you believe it then the risk of being out $2.60 is nothing.’im taking the NO side but I don’t fault you for trying.

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

These so called Matte Proof threads appear before here and ATS but don't materialize into anything. I recall a dealer offering Matte Proof Buffalos a couple years ago on Ebay. But back then people didn't buy proofs like they do today. They were made to order as sales came in from what I understand. Any idea that these were spent are a stretch. We know its possible but I think more like wishful thinking. Let's see the finished product.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:
    These so called Matte Proof threads appear before here and ATS but don't materialize into anything. I recall a dealer offering Matte Proof Buffalos a couple years ago on Ebay. But back then people didn't buy proofs like they do today. They were made to order as sales came in from what I understand. Any idea that these were spent are a stretch. We know its possible but I think more like wishful thinking. Let's see the finished product.

How were they made to order?

Just asking.

GrandAm :)

@GRANDAM said:

@fiftysevener said:

Just asking.

Prior to 1950 proofs were often made to satisfy sales orders rather than like production runs at factories.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, I thought you were saying an eBay seller was making them to order. :|

GrandAm :)
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:

@GRANDAM said:

@fiftysevener said:

Just asking.

Prior to 1950 proofs were often made to satisfy sales orders rather than like production runs at factories.

I did not know that. Thanks.

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rarest of the rare. Congratulations and you're on a roll. Find more! You've got that eye.

@fiftysevener said:

@GRANDAM said:

@fiftysevener said:

Just asking.

The Philadelphia Mint produced proof coins for sale to collectors in batches based on accumulated demand and estimated demand. The percentage of salable coins was about 70% although some batches had higher reject rates than others. During the 1936-42 years, the proportion of good proof coins was higher. (See "United States Proof Coins - 1936-1942" for detailed information.)

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the ETA of the submission results?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Tell the dealer to up the offer to $300. If he does, take the money and run!

Hell, I would take the $250 and run.

@RogerB said:

@fiftysevener said:

@GRANDAM said:

@fiftysevener said:

Just asking.

The Philadelphia Mint produced proof coins for sale to collectors in batches based on accumulated demand and estimated demand. The percentage of salable coins was about 70% although some batches had higher reject rates than others. During the 1936-42 years, the proportion of good proof coins was higher. (See "United States Proof Coins - 1936-1942" for detailed information.)

Roger from what I read in your second Renaissance volume in 1909 more proofs were delivered as sales demanded. Also interesting subject matter about VDB proofs although not substantiated is that most of them were sold to mint employees who gave them to friends.
    Here's a plug for 'Renaissance of United States Coinage': If you collect 20th century coinage you should own these 3 volumes !

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... I'm interested in the outcome. I hope the piece gets submitted. I'm the first to admit that I totally suck at identifying circulated proofs!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is that you will only hear the outcome if it happens to be a proof. Otherwise you'll hear crickets. I'm guessing we'll be seeing Jiminy.

thefinn
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Connecticoin said:

@Insider2 said:
    Tell the dealer to up the offer to $300. If he does, take the money and run!

Hell, I would take the $250 and run.

You and me both.

• robecrobec Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:
    My guess is that you will only hear the outcome if it happens to be a proof. Otherwise you'll hear crickets. I'm guessing we'll be seeing Jiminy.

I agree with you. Nothing about the coin appears to be a proof. Rounded rims no obverse diagnostics.

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope you prove us doubters wrong, but I think not.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • RexfordRexford Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2018 8:44AM

Until grading results are posted, I think I'll go with not legitimate.

@cherrypickerrrrr said:
    People had a lot of trouble believing this. How will they feel if they knew I accidentally bought a 1909 V.D.B. Matte Proof Genuine example for $5, and just now realized it months later?

Thought there were results... is this a rhetorical question?

• @cherrypickerrrrr said:
    People had a lot of trouble believing this. How will they feel if they knew I accidentally bought a 1909 V.D.B. Matte Proof Genuine example for $5, and just now realized it months later?

That’s amazing - first a 1909 matte for $2 then a 1909 vdb matte for $5 - you must have the best eyes in the business! Bet you can make a fortune picking out all the 1910+ mattes too - I bet there’s lots more out there. Can’t wait to see all your finds so you can prove all the doubters wrong.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why hasn't the first big find been slabbed yet? :D:D

fiftysevener - That's correct. A large batch of 1909-VDB proofs was made in anticipation of demand and these were sold as soon as the new design was released. Given that the 1,000 pieces amounted to only $10 face or $20 retail, speculation that most were bought by Mint employees, and possibly distributed to non-collector friends and neighbors, seems reasonable. Non-VDB proofs came only after Barber had produced a new reverse hub, and their distribution seems to be typical.

PS: Glad you enjoy the book. Mos of the material in it and the two companion volumes was unknown at the time.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    I think we are being punked yet again. I have a unicorn. Let me see it. In due time, Grasshopper. In due time.

I heard NGC is certifying and slabbing those ... can you post a pic first and we might be able to determine if authentic.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a plug for 'Renaissance of United States Coinage': If you collect 20th century coinage you should own these 3 volumes !

I do and I wholeheartedly second that opinion!

• Will post submission results when I get the coins back from PCGS! Happy holidays, everyone! :)

Good luck and Happy Holidays!

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Turnaround times are REALLY slow. What else could it be?

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe a photo is coming?
    I would like to know the outcome, good or bad, let us know!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2019 9:03AM

@cherrypickerrrrr said:
    Will post submission results when I get the coins back from PCGS! Happy holidays, everyone! :)

Hope you got a TrueView!

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jedm said:
    Turnaround times are REALLY slow. What else could it be?

It could be a business strike, hence no update. ;)

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Matte poof!🙂

• BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@BJandTundra said:
    Abraham Lincoln (of one cent coin fame) is credited with observing, "the chicken is the wisest of all the animals as she doesn't cackle until after the egg is laid.

Especially on such a questionable call from someone with limited experience.

Unless you have some other metric by which you make that somewhat dismissive assertion, post count alone does not directly translate to limited experience.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BlindedByEgo said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BJandTundra said:
    Abraham Lincoln (of one cent coin fame) is credited with observing, "the chicken is the wisest of all the animals as she doesn't cackle until after the egg is laid.

Unless you have some other metric by which you make that somewhat dismissive assertion, post count alone does not directly translate to limited experience.

My comment had nothing to do with post count and everything to do with what that individual told us in his other threads.

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

No updates from the OP speaks volumes... likely turnout was they purchased a $2 coin... and received a $2 coin.

----- kj
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tincup said:
    No updates from the OP speaks volumes... likely turnout was they purchased a $2 coin... and received a $2 coin.

....which is what happens 95% of the time.

• BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@BlindedByEgo said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BJandTundra said:

My comment had nothing to do with post count and everything to do with what that individual told us in his other threads.

And there's the other metric. I bow before you in supplication :)

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I can see the rims "Inside" are not near sharp enough to make the grade. Ya can't judge the outside of the rims due to the wear. I do admire your vigilance though.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file