Home U.S. Coin Forum

Random facts Saturday

3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since the random photo friday thread is such a success, let’s try a random facts Saturday and see what we can learn!

1. There have been approximately 65 billion people on earth since the beginning of time, but only about 800 million marked graves.

2. If you were to stand the 7.5 billion people on earth side by side, front to back it would only take up an area roughly the size of the Los Angeles metro area.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

Comments

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you state a fact, can you get banned?

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every person on earth could have a 1500 square foot home, with the homes fitting inside the borders of Texas.

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Move those people to Alaska and they can all have 3900 sf homes!

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

And move that PERSON to California and he could have ONE home.
    But with great weather. :p

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

The deeper they dug in the Comstock Lode the more gold they got and less silver. In the end the ratio of silver to gold was 54% to 46%.
    It's estimated that $75,000,000 in gold/silver was left in the tailings and this was in 1882 dollars. So, dig deep and be thorough in your processing.
    So, figure out how to go deeper in Mt. Davidson and resurrect the Virginia City mines. Figure it out and you can have wealth beyond your wildest dreams. The gold and silver did not play out it was getting better as they went deeper.
    I cringe when I see the guys/gals on Gold Rush lose gold in the tailings.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2018 11:12AM

@AUandAG I both enjoy it and cringe whenever I watch Gold Rush.

Without the television production money and the sponsored "product placement" trucks and equipment, those guys wouldn't have it even half as well as what they do.

@BillDugan1959 said:
    @AUandAG I both enjoy it and cringe whenever I watch Gold Rush.

Without the television production money and the sponsored "product placement" trucks and equipment, those guys wouldn't have it even half as well as what they do.

I cannot for the life of me, understand why they don't use all the tools available for recovering gold off bedrock. They get to the "bottom" of the cut and try to scrape it with those dozers which leaves so much behind. Ground is uneven and dozer blades leave holes (where most the gold resides) as it just passes over them. There is a solution that they don't use and I don't know why not. Vacuum trucks suck the material right off the bedrock. They work great wet or dry, mud or dirt. I've never even seen one up there. Must be a reason, but I've not figured it out. They work great here in the desert, too.

PS: Parker, if you are reading this, I've got a vac truck for sale....$50,000. Just a few hundred hours of picking up radioactive material at the Nevada test site....hardly used.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

if all the water being "held" by plants and animals on Earth were released, how deep would the water be??

@keets said:
    if all the water being "held" by plants and animals on Earth were released, how deep would the water be??

My calculator just broke. Is there an answer to this and if so who did the calculations?

A fact is a fact, or in other words, truth.

An opinion of a fact is an opinion and not a fact.

A lie is a lie and meant to deceive and is the opposite of a fact.

• CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aunt Bethany in Chevy Chase's Christmas Vacation is Betty Boop and Olive Oyl.

CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps

@CCDollar said:
    Aunt Bethany in Chevy Chase's Christmas Vacation is Betty Boop and Olive Oyl.

CC

https://youtu.be/Aoj5qIZvwWA

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2018 12:57PM

Most coins can circulate for about 25 years before they become too worn to be used anymore. That's a long time when you consider that the average dollar lasts for only 18 months. The United States Mint recycles worn-out coins it receives from a Federal Reserve Bank.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dpoole said:
    If you laid all the Three Cent Nickel collectors head-to-toe in a straight line, it would stretch from my kitchen to the guest bathroom.

And that's a FACT!

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting topics, thank you all for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2018 2:56AM

The largest city in China is one that probably most people outside of China have never heard of before and it is on neither of these conflicting lists:

The 10 Largest Cities in the World
    Shanghai - 24 million. Shanghai's population of 24 million makes it the top populous city proper not only in Asia but in he world as well.
    Beijing - 21.5 million. ...
    Delhi - 16.7. ...
    Lagos - 16 million. ...
    Tianjin - 15.2 million. ...
    Karachi - 14.9 million. ...
    Istanbul - 14 million. ...
    Tokyo - 13.6 million. ...

World City Populations 2018
    Name 2018 Population 2017 Population
    Tokyo 37,468,302 37,397,437
    Delhi 28,513,682 27,602,257
    Shanghai 25,582,138 24,862,075
    Sao Paulo 21,650,181 21,391,624

The answer is Chongqing with a population of 30,020,000. (It is also the city with the most security cameras in the world - over 500,000.

Here from Beijing's Tiananmen Square (with the entrance gate to the Forbidden City in the distance) is a tree of security cameras:

And for an added Random Fact regarding The Forbidden City, it actually had a Starbucks inside it during the Summer Olympics that were hosted in Beijing. (It was subsequently removed.)

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

The West Coast of South America is east of the East Coast of North America.

edited December 9, 2018 2:16AM

The Great Wall of China is also known as the longest cemetery in the world. (As it was built the multitude of workers who would die from the hard labor were buried into the wall.)

Also, it is fiction and not fact that one can see the Great Wall of China from the moon.

One trillion dollar bills placed end to end would reach the Sun...93 million miles. Our Nation's current debt would cover over ten round trips.

edited December 9, 2018 3:47AM

Although over 8,000 Tera-cotta Warriors have been unearthed It has been estimated that it will take until at least 2025 to excavate and restore all of the buried Terra-cotta Warriors - given the rate at which they are currently being uncovered and repaired. Discovered by a farmer digging a well in 1974 they were originally constructed 2,200 years ago. Also no two are identical and have individual characteristics. It is estimated that something like 800,000 artisans were required to make them over a 40 year period. They are popularly known as the 8th Wonder of the World.

rekcilq backwards is coinstartled, when lit, it can be seen from the Moon.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The “hashtag” key on your keyboard (#) is called an octotroph. Cheers, RickO

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2018 12:25PM

Most valuable U.S. coin sold is in the possession of a forum member.

Edit to add what @PerryHall and @david3142 said below.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    Most valuable coin is in the possession of a forum member.

I could believe this if you said "most valuable US coin" but there are extremely wealthy coin collectors outside the US and there are some extremely valuable world coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    Most valuable U.S. coin is in the possession of a forum member.

Edit to add what @PerryHall said below.

This isn’t a fact as it is entirely possible that the most valuable coin is in the Smithsonian (perhaps the 1849 double eagle). Ultimately the values are unknown. If you want to say the most expensive ever sold, then yes.

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

McDonald's is the largest distributor of toys in the world.

Drunner

• dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

The total number of light photons ever released in the observable universe is:
    4,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 photons.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/11/181129142414.htm

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
    edited December 10, 2018 1:10AM

@northcoin said:
    The largest city in China is one that probably most people outside of China have never heard of before and it is on neither of these conflicting lists:

The 10 Largest Cities in the World
    Shanghai - 24 million. Shanghai's population of 24 million makes it the top populous city proper not only in Asia but in he world as well.
    Beijing - 21.5 million. ...
    Delhi - 16.7. ...
    Lagos - 16 million. ...
    Tianjin - 15.2 million. ...
    Karachi - 14.9 million. ...
    Istanbul - 14 million. ...
    Tokyo - 13.6 million. ...

World City Populations 2018
    Name 2018 Population 2017 Population
    Tokyo 37,468,302 37,397,437
    Delhi 28,513,682 27,602,257
    Shanghai 25,582,138 24,862,075
    Sao Paulo 21,650,181 21,391,624

The answer is Chongqing with a population of 30,020,000.

Just had a chance to watch the Smithsonian Channel's "Over China" feature and see now that the total population of Chongqing has already been upped to 34,000,000. Reportedly 45 acres of living space is being added each day.

An added Random Fact is that Chongqing has the longest monorail system in the world extending a distance of 61 miles.
    Pictured here is my photo of the monorail just as it went through a building.

Interestingly the same documentary still identifies Shanghai as the "most populated city" while referring to Chongqing as the "largest municipality." While there are more people in Chongqing than in Shanghai there is apparently a semantic distinction being made between a "Municipality" and a "City" as from my having just visited both I would have to conclude that on a square foot basis, Shanghai does have the more concentrated population while the borders of Chongqing do extend much wider. Regardless, between the two - which are at opposite ends of the Yangtze River - approximately 60 million persons reside.

To put the above in perspective, New York City is barely over 8 million and the combined population of the 3 largest cities in the United States (New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago) is less than 15 million persons.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

The US mint's yearly output first exceeded 1 billion coins in 1940.
    That was actually a pretty long time ago.

• Rich49Rich49 Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

Transpiration: The release of water from plant leaves

Transpiration is the process by which moisture is carried through plants from roots to small pores on the underside of leaves, where it changes to vapor and is released to the atmosphere. Transpiration is essentially evaporation of water from plant leaves. It is estimated that about 10 percent of the moisture found in the atmosphere is released by plants through transpiration.
    Plant transpiration is an invisible process—since the water is evaporating from the leaf surfaces, you don't just go out and see the leaves "breathing". During a growing season, a leaf will transpire many times more water than its own weight. A large oak tree can transpire 40,000 gallons (151,000 liters) per year

photo index.gif

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are more molecules of water in a teaspoon than there are teaspoons of water in the Atlantic Ocean.

There are more stars in the known universe than there are grains of sand on earth.

• MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    The “hashtag” key on your keyboard (#) is called an octotroph. Cheers, RickO

I grew up calling it the "Pound" sign. Gives new meaning to #metoo.

One day on the planet Venus lasts longer than one year on the planet Venus.

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the record, I ALWAYS come to the internet chat rooms for my facts.

Fact---tacocat spelled backwards is tacocat. :)

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fastfreddie said:
    Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know,

I thought you were going to say it was good for the hobby because more coins were purchased :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2018 2:17PM

That 1909 Lincoln penny was the first circulating (noncommemorative) American coin to depict a real person.

[Yes I know it should be 'CENT']

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2018 6:47PM

One million one dollar bills placed end to end would only stretch out for 96.91 miles.

Can't really wrap my mind around trillions.

• BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

The great thing about all these "random facts" is they are on the internet so they have to be the truth!

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2018 7:47PM

If you fly from Houston to San Diego the half-way point is still in Texas.

If you fly from Atlanta to Johannesburg the half-way point is in Africa.

• CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 10, 2018 7:51PM

Real men don't ask for directions or need a map, they don't need to read the instructions to build something that comes out of a box, they treat women with respect and they never buy toned coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file