Options

Random facts Saturday

13»

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    My Apple iPhone still works after I drove over it in my truck yesterday. Shattered the glass but the phone works.

Apple products are bomb proof.

Okay, I will ask. How did the phone get into a location where you ended up driving over it? :o

Well, it could have been worse. I put the phone on the hood of my truck and forgot about it. Went to wally world to buy office supplies. Came home and I guess drove over the phone in my driveway. I could have LOST the phone on the drive but did not.

Later in the day, UPS stopped in front of our gated driveway and honked a couple of times before driving away. I went down looking for a package and saw the phone in the driveway. I believe that is why they honked. Thank you UPS and Apple.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 18, 2018 10:27AM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Hemispherical said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    My Apple iPhone still works after I drove over it in my truck yesterday. Shattered the glass but the phone works.

Apple products are bomb proof.

Okay, I will ask. How did the phone get into a location where you ended up driving over it? :o

Well, it could have been worse. I put the phone on the hood of my truck and forgot about it. Went to wally world to buy office supplies. Came home and I guess drove over the phone in my driveway. I could have LOST the phone on the drive but did not.

Later in the day, UPS stopped in front of our gated driveway and honked a couple of times before driving away. I went down looking for a package and saw the phone in the driveway. I believe that is why they honked. Thank you UPS and Apple.

You had three fortunate and one unfortunate events. Did not loose the phone (hood of truck), got the phone back, and the phone still operable; but left the phone on the hood. Odds leaning in your favor. Buy a lottery ticket but don’t forget where you put it. :)

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1Mike1 said:

@northcoin said:
    All these random facts about geographical locations (Reno is West of Los Angeles; The West Coast of South America is East of the East Coast of The United States) prompted me to pull out my globe. In doing so I found an equally stunning fact:

On my globe the distance from the Old World to the New World is only 2 1/2 inches when departing from Africa's Sierra Leone. Departing from Spain to reach the New World by Columbus's route took 6 inches. Columbus could have been on the open ocean waters in discovering the New World for less than half the distance if he had followed the coast down to the furthest West point of Africa before heading West to reach the furthest East point of South America.

Makes one wonder if any ships from Africa actually got to South America before Columbus's discovery since it would have been less than half the distance, and impliedly less than half the time, Columbus was on the open sea.

Very likely in my opinion. It wouldn't have taken much to cross from present day Russia over to Alaska either, giving a lot of native Americans, have Asian looking ancestors.

I could have added that the distance between Greenland or even Iceland and the Easternmost point of the North American continent is even shorter than the distance between Africa and South America. Of course, the "fact" that Scandinavians made it to the New World before Columbus is pretty well accepted and there is even some evidence that there were settlements predating Columbus of Viking origin as far inland as Minnesota. What the Norsemen apparently did not do was to set up trading routes so there was no significant economic motivation to sustain those contacts.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

Treacherous road like fresh mushroom. Must always...

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chinese Checkers was invented in Germany.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file