Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Random facts Saturday

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once a cobra bit Chuck Norris' leg. After five days of excruciating pain, the cobra died.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

If a man confronts you he is the enemy.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

@renman95 said:
    One trillion dollar bills placed end to end would reach the Sun...93 million miles. Our Nation's current debt would cover over ten round trips.

the sun is hot, so most of those dollar bills would burn. The others would just float away.

Much like the funds "contributed" to paying off the national debt

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 1932 there was a cash shortage in Tenino, WA so they made wood notes

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are substantially more Subway restaurants (47,000) than McDonalds (35,000). But . . .revenue per store is obviously different (40B v. 7 B). Money and coinage circulates daily through each! (OT)

Drunner

• Options

Humans and sea lions are the only animals who can dance to a beat.

Drunner

• Options

The "Price is Right" show has been on all three major networks. They have also awarded a submarine, Ferris Wheel, and an island.

Drunner

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@renman95 said:
    The West Coast of South America is east of the East Coast of North America.

Wow. I didn't realize that one. My little used globe seems to show that pretty clearly, now that I look.

Once I was in a jet from NYC to São Paulo. At the time, I had the sense we were flying from North to South, but I was wrong, I guess. More like West to East.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kingsport, TN is closer to Canada than the other end of TN.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    An Ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain. (I have thought this about some people). Cheers, RickO

I could use that comparison for a lot of people in Washington DC.. :D

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

@keets said:
    if all the water being "held" by plants and animals on Earth were released, how deep would the water be??

My calculator just broke. Is there an answer to this and if so who did the calculations?

bob :)

I can lend you a slide rule ;)

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sellitstore said:
    Kingsport, TN is closer to Canada than the other end of TN.

I live just 10 miles south of Kingsport, Tn.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Barry Manilow’s 1976 hit ‘I Write The Songs,’ was written by Bruce Johnson.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options

If you use standard algorithms and analyze the present population of the United States (v. history), on average, there are 2000 active serial killers working the USA as of 2018.

Drunner

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2018 10:27AM

Some posters in this thread don't know the difference between a "fact" and a "question!" >:)

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    One day on the planet Venus lasts longer than one year on the planet Venus.

You think with a name like Venus she'd be getting after it. :D

• Options

The first NBA player to shatter a glass backboard in competition was Kevin (Chuck) Connors. You may remember Lucas McCain from something else. Also one of 12 individuals to play in both the NBA and MLB.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me likka the Rifleman!

@DRUNNER said:
    The first NBA player to shatter a glass backboard in competition was Kevin (Chuck) Connors. You may remember Lucas McCain from something else. Also one of 12 individuals to play in both the NBA and MLB.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Detroit Lions have won a total of one playoff game ... ever. That was in 1991. They won't be in this year's playoffs.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Me likka the Rifleman!

@DRUNNER said:

The Rifleman's Model '92 Winchester Carbine (made 10 years after the time period) holds 9 rounds...but he shoots 13 rounds in the opening.

CC

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭

Earth gains 40,000 tons per year as it accumulates cosmic dust. Earth loses 95,000 tons per year in atmospheric loss of gasses.

• Options

Drew Carey in "The Price is Right" has given away over $200k in his OWN money. When someone nails the initial retail price precisely, he reaches into his suit pocket and pulls out $500. That is NOT part of the show . . . . . and is purely his private award to the contestant.

Drunner

• Options

One man survived BOTH atomic bombs. Tsutomu Yamaguchi was sent to Hiroshima on business and got burns from the first blast, then went home to Nagasaki and was in a tunnel being treated for the burns when the second blast hit above him.

Drunner

• Options

The total weight of ants in the world equals the total weight of people.

Drunner

• Options

@fiftysevener said:
    Earth gains 40,000 tons per year as it accumulates cosmic dust. Earth loses 95,000 tons per year in atmospheric loss of gasses.

You're not going to place that loss on me are you ;)

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

The fifteen minutes of fame of a megalomaniac can last way too long. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Confucius say

Man who go to bed with itchy ass
    Wake up with smelly finger.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to believe this one hasn't been mention yet.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.

• Options

@CCGGG said:

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.

01001100 01001111 01001100 o:)

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

00110010 11110010 00110010 :p 01100 01010 11001101!

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know what the next step is...

57 68 61 74 20 69 6e 20 74 68 65 20 77 6f 72 6c 64 20 61 72 65 20 79 6f 75 20 74 61 6c 6b 69 6e 67 20 61 62 6f 75 74 3f

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has only been in the last few years that the number of McDonald's finally exceeded the number of Post Offices. I live in the middle of nowhere and have 15 within a 15-20 minute drive...I wonder why they have budget issues?

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DRUNNER said:

Also his real first name is Kevin, but he earned the nickname "Chuck" when playing first base he would always scream "Chuck it to me"

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2018 2:45PM

@1Mike1 said:

@CCGGG said:

01001100 01001111 01001100 o:)

Answer is LOL :)

• Options

When one starts a thread that should not be started it will go p(r)oof!

Fact. :D:p

Courtesy of NASA/Hubble. NGC 3918.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2018 3:11PM

@CCGGG said:

Reminds me of one I thought was clever:

There are two types of people:
    1. Those who can make logical inference based on context

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people have a way with words.
    Other ones, um, not have way.

-Steve Martin

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

An optimist says a glass is half full.
    A pessimist says a glass is half empty.
    An engineer says the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2018 8:18PM

If you fold a piece of paper 50 times its thickness will exceed the distance from the earth to the sun.

• Options

I believe that I am about the average age of members here. In my lifetime the US population has doubled. Has the number of coin collectors kept up?

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2018 11:52PM

All these random facts about geographical locations (Reno is West of Los Angeles; The West Coast of South America is East of the East Coast of The United States) prompted me to pull out my globe. In doing so I found an equally stunning fact:

On my globe the distance from the Old World to the New World is only 2 1/2 inches when departing from Africa's Sierra Leone. Departing from Spain to reach the New World by Columbus's route took 6 inches. Columbus could have been on the open ocean waters in discovering the New World for less than half the distance if he had followed the coast down to the furthest West point of Africa before heading West to reach the furthest East point of South America.

Makes one wonder if any ships from Africa actually got to South America before Columbus's discovery since it would have been less than half the distance, and impliedly less than half the time, Columbus was on the open sea.

• Options
    edited December 18, 2018 2:22AM

@northcoin said:
    All these random facts about geographical locations (Reno is West of Los Angeles; The West Coast of South America is East of the East Coast of The United States) prompted me to pull out my globe. In doing so I found an equally stunning fact:

On my globe the distance from the Old World to the New World is only 2 1/2 inches when departing from Africa's Sierra Leone. Departing from Spain to reach the New World by Columbus's route took 6 inches. Columbus could have been on the open ocean waters in discovering the New World for less than half the distance if he had followed the coast down to the furthest West point of Africa before heading West to reach the furthest East point of South America.

Makes one wonder if any ships from Africa actually got to South America before Columbus's discovery since it would have been less than half the distance, and impliedly less than half the time, Columbus was on the open sea.

Very likely in my opinion. It wouldn't have taken much to cross from present day Russia over to Alaska either, giving a lot of native Americans, have Asian looking ancestors.

• Options

@Icollecteverything said:
    I believe that I am about the average age of members here. In my lifetime the US population has doubled. Has the number of coin collectors kept up?

According to the U.S. Mint and the U.S. gov., the 50 States
    Quarter program accomplished that. ;)

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Apple iPhone still works after I drove over it in my truck yesterday. Shattered the glass but the phone works.

Apple products are bomb proof.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    My Apple iPhone still works after I drove over it in my truck yesterday. Shattered the glass but the phone works.

Apple products are bomb proof.

Okay, I will ask. How did the phone get into a location where you ended up driving over it? :o

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

ErrorsOnPhones

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file