Home Sports Talk

Let us not forget what happened 77 years ago today!!

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 7, 2018 10:23AM in Sports Talk

We lost a lot of good men that day at Pearl Harbor! :'(

Comments

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

And Delaware became the first state 231 years ago today. :)

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

You mean the state of DuPont, right? ;)

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

Not any more. The DuPont company has been swallowed and has disappeared into the belly of Dow Chemical. Word has it that there will be spin-offs.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

Not any more. The DuPont company has been swallowed and has disappeared into the belly of Dow Chemical. Word has it that there will be spin-offs.

You're right - it's DowDuPont now.

The big get bigger. :|

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

A day that will live in infamy.

I wonder how many American’s actually know the significance of the date.

A very sad day in American history.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely deserving of acknowledgement. My father lost an Uncle at Pearl Harbor.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

My father, like many American teens, enlisted the next day. The Buffalo Evening News had a picture of the men lined up to enlist and dad was right near the front.
    December 8th, 1941

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces said:
    My father, like many American teens, enlisted the next day. The Buffalo Evening News had a picture of the men lined up to enlist and dad was right near the front.
    December 8th, 1941

Your father is part of the best generation of this great country. My father is a Vietnam Veteran and it pains me to think about the bad rap they got during that time frame.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:
    December 8th, 1941

Your father is part of the best generation of this great country. My father is a Vietnam Veteran and it pains me to think about the bad rap they got during that time frame.

I guess that means I am old enough to be your Dad! :oB)

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last night on PBS was a show about the guy from the Vestal that threw a rope to the Arizona and
    saved six men. He finally got a medal, the Bronze star with a V for valor I think just last year.
    He was ordered to cut the line to the Arizona so the Vestal could move to safety but he disobeyed
    the order and threw them a rope. Two of the men were still alive as of last year and you can't believe
    how grateful they and their families were to Joe George, the man who saved them.
    If you ever get a chance to watch that program, don't miss it because its well worth your time.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Respect for all out Vets.
    The greatest generation for sure. I think we say that because we were attacked and most didn't have to be asked to go. Oh and maybe because they saved he world.

I watched a very proud Bob Dole need assistance to honor and salute the commander in chief. You could see the respect he had in his eyes. He also lived duty, honor and sacrifice. It was so important to him to honor a man of privilege who could have easily escaped the war or at least served in a low impact/ safe position but chose to risk his life. So many 1000's of men and woman like them.

We can never repay for their service and the freedom they won for us even now so many generations past.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

The one positive change about the media and society of today is the positive recognition that Vets get. Back in my fathers Vietnam days they used to spit at you at the airports coming home, I also heard of groups protesting at fallen soldiers funerals from the early Iraq war which is so disgusting

@perkdog said:
    The one positive change about the media and society of today is the positive recognition that Vets get. Back in my fathers Vietnam days they used to spit at you at the airports coming home, I also heard of groups protesting at fallen soldiers funerals from the early Iraq war which is so disgusting

I totally agree. As a Vietnam Vet I remember how it was coming back. It was like we were being chastised for doing your duty for your Country. It's much better now.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife lost a cousin at Pearl Harbor and another at the Battle of the Bulge. My Father-in-law was in a well known picture with McArthur. Hundreds or thousands of soldiers on board. He couldn't pick out himself but said he was among the throng.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

was he wading in water or on the Missouri

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

I had a former co-worker, in his mid-forties. Birthday was 12/7, and did not know it fell on Pearl Harbor day! .... and really thought of himself as a highly knowledgeable person.......

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

@ADG said:
    I had a former co-worker, in his mid-forties. Birthday was 12/7, and did not know it fell on Pearl Harbor day! .... and really thought of himself as a highly knowledgeable person.......

WOW!

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ADG said:

My sister in law's birthday also falls on 12/7 and she didnt know until a few years ago. I would not, however, place her in the realm of highly knowledgeable person.....

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

You would be shocked at how many people never heard of DDAY, Iwo Jima, Gettysburg, ect..

There are some young people that couldn't tell you who the 1st President was!

@DIMEMAN said:
    There are some young people that couldn't tell you who the 1st President was!

When they are told, they may reply, "Oh so he was named after Washington our country's capital?" :p