Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Looks like our friends from edynamicmarketing are at it again.

I counted 163 offerings from them this evening. All hideous AT silver eagles. Shame is, all were straight graded by our host. No apparent attempt to differentiate AT/NT. "Wow" is all I've got. :(

https://ebay.com/itm/1987-American-Silver-Eagle-Dollar-PCGS-MS-65-Multi-Color-Toned-High-Demand-Coin/273385517843?hash=item3fa70bf313:rk:39:pf:0

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2018 8:45PM

Many are raw and not graded. Most that are graded are by graders other than PCGS as I see it. But, I agree that this seller is the doctor on ebay. You really counted 163 by PCGS? That sucks.

bob :(

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bob, The 163 were all PCGS graded. Scrolled through 7 pages and counted.

• Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭

This one puzzles me......

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is so wrong. He's so well known for doctoring and should be banned by every TPG.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hideous is the right word. :s

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options

@claychaser said:

This one puzzles me......

They are known for buying NT coins and placing them in their auctions, trying to legitimize the whole group.

• Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭

So let’s see. Should I buy a roll of nice looking eagles or only one of these toned beauties for essentially the same price?

I can’t for the life of me understand how people actually believe that modern coins can naturally get full blown toning.

Does this seller also sell modern coins in poor-1 condition?

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

They've been back for a while. Worse, they have imitators-at least two.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes ya wanna PUKE !!!

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

ever heard about paint? it comes in every color...
    How is it possible to get a coin "toned" "painted " like that and... it is accepted by collectors?
    I have a few "fancy" coins... but they are not "painted".

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin in the original post is actually natural. This was my coin years ago.
    When I purchased it was white. The plastic capital holder I have toned this one and many others that I sent in raw.
    Since I sold all of them I have put new un-toned ones in there and they are toning completely different,
    I’ll try to get some images in the next few days.
    In hand it look spectacular. And, Liberty has a beautiful creamy look.
    You can see it has fingerprints on reverse and a little on obverse.
    I cannot say anything regarding the seller or his other coins as I did not sell my coin to the guy.
    Below you can see where it was in my registry.

Trueviews.

Screenshot of my sold inventory.

Liberty is so very pretty looking, almost a soft creamy white

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:
    When I purchased it was white. The plastic capital holder I have toned this one and many others that I sent in raw.
    Since I sold all of them I have put new un-toned ones in there and they are toning completely different,
    I cannot say anything regarding the seller or his other coins as I did not sell my coin to the guy.

Trueviews.

How did it tone so quickly like this in a capital holder???

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinsarefun said:

Trueviews.

Would be great to include your provenance on these :)

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had one similar, got toned in a velvet lined plastic flip box.

Does any of edynamic's AT look attractive?

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have them blocked so I don't have to see their carp.

• Options

Great @coinsarefun , I would have to pick out of 160 coins the ONE you used to own. LOL

I'm not sure what is going on with them though. Most of their ASE listings have the coin in the holder blacked out.

There are a few like this one that still have the image in the holder picture.

Could they also be gassing in the holder as we saw in the other thread with the rattler Morgans?
    Below is an early holder that is well before this company was on ebay.

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    Great @coinsarefun , I would have to pick out of 160 coins the ONE you used to own. LOL

I'm not sure what is going on with them though. Most of their ASE listings have the coin in the holder blacked out.

There are a few like this one that still have the image in the holder picture.

Could they also be gassing in the holder as we saw in the other thread with the rattler Morgans?
    Below is an early holder that is well before this company was on ebay.

Seems to be a breach of eBay rules of photographing the coin in the holder. Maybe just for fun, and an abundance of annoyment, I'll report every single listing that uses this trick.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

An "easy" way to introduce AT to these is to gas in the holder and then resubmit to PCGS for a reholder with TrueView. I'm not saying this seller does this, but merely stating that one can take a non-AT coin already in a holder and introduce AT to it and then submit it back to the original TPG for reholder. In the case of PCGS, one might also ask for TrueView.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    An "easy" way to introduce AT to these is to gas in the holder and then resubmit to PCGS for a reholder with TrueView. I'm not saying this seller does this, but merely stating that one can take a non-AT coin already in a holder and introduce AT to it and then submit it back to the original TPG for reholder. In the case of PCGS, one might also ask for TrueView.

It is a bit shocking that PCGS apparently doesn't have a finalizer take a look before reholdering. It also allows you to check for coins that have deteriorated by non-nefarious means in the slab.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is why toning should have nothing to do with the quality of the minting strike and the die condition, the physical attributes that is the essence of any grade of wear. IMO. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago there were articles in “Coin World” about how these fraudsters can get gases into sealed holders to tone certified and mint encased coins. My guess is this guy has perfected the process. There is no way that that hideous 1963 Proof cent got into a certification holder looking like that.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
  • Options

@bolivarshagnasty said:

I never follow or come upon these guys on my Ebay searches, so I don’t know who they are but
    I have seen several of mine out there. I guess the person who bought my collection parted it out

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least this time around, TrueViews aren’t being used. Some TrueViews from the last batch when they were common are still being sold.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is amazing... If Stef had not stepped in and legitimized this coin (OP), I would have thought it to be an AT coin... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    That is so wrong. He's so well known for doctoring and should be banned by every TPG.

That won't do anything except inconvenience the person. I'm sure they are already banned by PCGS and use their employees or family members to submit on their behalf.

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't collect modern coins but that's a shame to do that to a coin just so you can line your pockets.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    Years ago there were articles in “Coin World” about how these fraudsters can get gases into sealed holders to tone certified and mint encased coins. My guess is this guy has perfected the process. There is no way that that hideous 1963 Proof cent got into a certification holder looking like that.

Yes, it made the holder exactly like that. Lots of toners fly by pcgs.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this anything NCIC can get involved with?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    ever heard about paint? it comes in every color...
    How is it possible to get a coin "toned" "painted " like that and... it is accepted by collectors?
    I have a few "fancy" coins... but they are not "painted".

What nonsense. The Lincoln cent is not PAINTED. Why don't you "paint" a coin for us and blow-up your theory.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file