Home U.S. Coin Forum

Fun "Micro-Numismatics" Quiz #5 ANSWERED

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 9, 2018 6:15PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Sorry, no prizes :( as it takes me over a week to mail them to the winner.

I'm posting the rules NOW so you all can absorb them before the contest starts.

The Non-Contest:

I am going to be posting micrographs of anything that can be found on coins. Some will be easy and some will not. The correct answer is whatever I say it is :p but feel free to disagree (giving your reason) so all of us can discuss it. Images will be posted in this thread at my discretion - several each week. I will post the answers late the next day after it was posted.

In order to make this FUN for beginners I'll ask the "experts" to PLEASE not guess what any of the images are until the next day. Otherwise, folks like (fill in the blank) will get all of them immediately - NO FUN. If no correct answer is given by the next day, the "experts" should PLEASE respond. The answer for each image will usually be posted in the afternoon when I add another image.

The Rules:
1.Anyone can guess.
2.The BEST correct answer is in two parts. A. What characteristic the image shows. B. What are the reasons, what did you use to get the correct answer?

The Image:

What do we call this "mark" on the Proof gold coin? How did it occur?

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the “concertina” wire device to the “R” to the rim appears to be a scratch. Blow-up looks like it is possibly raised. If it is raised then it is something occuring on the die.

Die scratch/break?

But then I start thinking about EOC’s coins and start thinking about strike throughs of something.

I eager to find out how far I am in left field. 😐

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Struck through debris, wire or string, possibly to the die itself. Is the damage incuse?

• BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

Appears to be a strike through, but why do we not see the damage continued in the "R" of DOLLAR?

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2018 7:37PM

@BJandTundra said:
    Appears to be a strike through, but why do we not see the damage continued in the "R" of DOLLAR?

That is where I lean also. Depending of the formation of the blemish, concave or convex ?
    The hitch is the cameo? Area inside the R, is that cameo Frost or a spot?
    I see no evidence of damage to any devices or designs so I think the die surface is suspect.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a gold wire so I'm guessing it's a struck through planchett debris.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I missed the answer to Quiz #1. Can someone let me know what that straight line through the coin was? Thanks Skip for these "Micro Numismatics" Quizes. I'm learning a lot from reading them. Please keep them going. :)B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me thinks die gouge. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Struck through a thin strip of broken off finned rim?

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    I missed the answer to Quiz #1. Can someone let me know what that straight line through the coin was? Thanks Skip for these "Micro Numismatics" Quizes. I'm learning a lot from reading them. Please keep them going. :)B)

@PerryHall

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1008510/fun-numismatic-quiz-number-one-answered#latest

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Struck through string.....note not a wire as the R surface (recessed in the die) was not affected.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see a misregistration between the hubbing and the laser-applied snakeskin cameo. Technically a doubled die in my book. Strange combination of Class III (design hub, where one of the hubs happens to be a laser), and either Class I (rotated hub) or Class IV (shifted hub) giving the misalignment.

Not the answer you were looking for, but I figured I'd throw some extra fun into the fun.

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a struck thru wire to me..

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Struck thru wire or string...

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2018 6:14PM

It should be very educational for members that are posting guesses to tell the rest of us the WHY! What evidence do you see in the image to ID the characteristic SO WE"LL KNOW ANOTHER ONE when we see it. :)

Example:

Guess: I think you were kicked in the trousers.
    The WHY: I see a dirty foot print in your butt area.

ANSWER:

The image is a strike-thru.

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Struck through debris, wire or string, possibly to the die itself. Is the damage incuse?

@cmerlo1 said:
    Looks like a struck thru wire to me..

@BJandTundra said:

The mark is "into" the coin's surface. It is not a scratch because the "inside" of the mark is dull and natural. Note that it did not continue thru the "R." Its top surface is not affected so I will take a guess that the piece was soft and got pushed to the side and squished as the die came down. Note how one end left a depression on the raised rim.

Next quiz on Monday, Answer to Quiz 6 tomorrow.

• georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

This one was too easy.

edited November 12, 2018 12:50PM

@georgiacop50 said:
    This one was too easy.

Easy for you. Thanks for letting the others answer first. :)

BTW, they are ALL EASY for some folks. :wink:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file