Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Fun Numismatic Quiz number one answered.

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 7, 2018 12:08PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Sorry, no prizes :( as it takes me over a week to mail them to the winner.

I'm posting the rules NOW so you all can absorb them before the contest starts.

The Non-Contest:

I am going to be posting micrographs of anything that can be found on coins. Some will be easy and some will not. The correct answer is whatever I say it is :p but feel free to disagree (giving your reason) so all of us can discuss it. Images will be posted in this thread at my discretion - several each week. I will post the answers late the next day after it was posted.

In order to make this FUN for beginners I'll ask the "experts" to PLEASE not guess what any of the images are until the next day. Otherwise, folks like (fill in the blank) will get all of them immediately - NO FUN. If no correct answer is given by the next day, the "experts" should PLEASE respond. The answer for each image will usually be posted in the afternoon when I add another image.

The Rules:

1. Anyone can guess.
  2. The BEST correct answer is in two parts. A. What characteristic the image shows. B. What are the reasons, what did you see to determine your answer.

The Example:

The Answer:

The reverse of a cent. I know because it says "One Cent." :)

Comments

• Options

What do you see that is unusual on this coin? What caused it?

Please Note: Before the foolish Jokers' answer, it is not that the coin's image is sideways, the color balance is off, or "show me the edge" Big LOL, NOT! If this discussion generates into that kind of nonsense or trolls >:) try to wreck it, I'll be very happy to take this attempt to generate some hopefully informative discussions to a different coin forum. o:)

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2018 10:48AM

Edited as I guess I am overqualified B) .....

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rubber band.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jedm said:
    "The correct answer is whatever I say it is :open_mouth:" HAHAH this should be good!

this is the PCGS boards...

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Edited as I guess I am overqualified B) .....

Yes, a thousand times yes! You are one of the "experts" I referred to above in the rules. We'll all look forward to any help you can give - especially in the form of hints the NEXT DAY if the "non-experts" are having trouble identifying the image.

PS No harm done either as I expect several other "experts" answer before reading my request in the rules. I think if the trolls and jokers stay away, in a week, things will be running smoothly and the less informed members will be the first to post guesses.

• Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking at the glitch behind and below Mr Lincolns eye caused by a piece of foreign matter during pressing

• Options
    edited November 6, 2018 11:05AM

@jedm said:
    "The correct answer is whatever I say it is :open_mouth:" HAHAH this should be good!

Absolutely! We have several members here on CU who can correct any of my errors so we'll all learn something.

I'll probably be posting something that I cannot answer too. :p

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rubber band sounds good but on first look I thought that stripe was caused by the alloy mixture of the copper the blank was punched out of.
    The lines seem to thin out relative to the distance from the heavy band.

• Options

@chumley said: "I am looking at the glitch behind and below Mr Lincolns eye caused by a piece of foreign matter during pressing."

Great eye-for detail! No one B) said there would be only one correct answer or one characteristic in an image! Are we having fun yet?

• Options
    bugbitbugbit Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

A cent that was taped in an album causing it to tone differently in the center where there was no tape?

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

vertical strip of toning. Rubber band caused?

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

The streak from top to bottom, or side to side as we see it, was caused by an alloy mixture.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are we having fun yet? :D:p

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2018 5:07PM

A. Horizontal discolorations traveling east to west per the picture’s approximate 90 degree clockwise rotation. Appearance of “pock” marks on Lincoln’s cheek by the eye and by the jaw.

B. Improper alloy mix (horizontal discoloration) and lamination issue (“pock” marks) caused by the improper alloy mix?)?

Edited: To conform to the OP answer format.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alrighty then, let's get going !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

What do you see that is unusual on this coin? What caused it?

Please Note: Before the foolish Jokers' answer, it is not that the coin's image is sideways, the color balance is off, or "show me the edge" Big LOL, NOT! If this discussion generates into that kind of nonsense or trolls >:) try to wreck it, I'll be very happy to take this attempt to generate some hopefully informative discussions to a different coin forum. o:)

Is it a planchet flaw, like improper mixture of metals?
    If not I would then guess some kind of copper strike through. Reminds me of the wood grain look some coins get

• Options

@Timbuk3 said:
    Alrighty then, let's get going !!! :)

We need to give the late night posters a chance. I have over 10K images so if this discussion catches on it will take years to finish.

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Double Die with rubber ban staining.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am thinking the metal alloy was not uniformly mixed at the time the metal cooled and rolled to thickness.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

A piece of metal such as a piece of wire struck into the surface?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Improper alloy mix and lamination flaw and Lincoln is looking down at the ground. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

It appears the strip stock was bad. Probably originated at the mill.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2018 6:28PM

Noice!

• Options

Unless the poster deletes it as I have asked, PLEASE ignore the post above that has nothing to do with this non-contest! :(

I will be posting a new image in a few hours w/answers to this one. Several posted the correct answer. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file