Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is there one specific coin(by date and mint mark)that you can't stop collecting?

HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 9, 2018 6:38AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I heard a few people discussing this at the show I went to over the summer. I can't recall which one it was, but it seems like it was a Walking Liberty Half. The person would go to each dealer and buy as many examples of one particular date as he could find. Do you have this prob.....errr, I mean focus for a specific coin? :D

Edited to add...let's eliminate birth year from this conversation. I know those are popular!

Comments

• OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although I am still short by 3 Overton die marriages I have over 200 1827 bust halves. Way too many people told me when I first started collecting by die marriage not to bother with that year because there were to many similar marriages.

Never tell me what I can or can't do! >:)>:)

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

The closest I have ever come to getting hung up on coin has been the Delaware commemorative half dollar. I now have three of them. I'd lose money on all of them if I were to sell now. All three have their good points, but none are perfect.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

1817 O-105a I own about 20 of these Ladies.... just can't help myself

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like the guy was trying to corner the market on something.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not had that problem... well, maybe a little bit. I still look for and often buy AH Kennedy halves....Other than that, no specific date/coin... CC's of any date always get my attention...but not always my money. ;) Cheers, RickO

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

1878 Morgan dollars always grab my attention. Lots of die marriages to collect, and if I find a nice one I don't have, I feel compelled to buy it.

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I have not had that problem... well, maybe a little bit. I still look for and often buy AH Kennedy halves....

Every time someone posts one or mentions them I can't help but think about forum member "Russ". It is my understanding that he passed away during the time I was away from being active on the forum. I remember many topics of conversation involving AH Kennedy Halves with him.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hallco... Yes, Russ was a great guy and the AH king at the time. I went to many shows with him, and once or twice I scooped him on an AH...It was a fun competition we had going. Sure do miss him on here...Cheers, RickO

• FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 650 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess it would be 1953-s Franklin halves for me.
    I just purchased my 3rd graded example last week

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like keys , overdates and doubled die type. But I haven't collected for a decade. I will ease back into it soon enough, now.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

1921 Peace Dollars and 1913 Type 1 Buffalo Nickels although I don't have that many of them, maybe 5 or 6 of each

Collector, occasional seller

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

1921-P Morgans, which I attribute by VAM number. I've discovered 19 new ones so far, per Mr. Van Allen, in the process.

When in doubt, don't.
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a penchant for 1803 Large Cents at one point... I'm down to one. S243

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    1938 Jefferson Nickel, business or proof, ddo, qdo and many variants

So you’re the one who has all the toned 1938 proofs!
    I’ve been on the lookout for one for a couple of years now.

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2018 12:42PM

@FranklinHalfAddict said:

@Aspie_Rocco said:

Sounds like a friendly Jefferson Proof competition is potentially looming between @FranklinHalfAddict & @Aspie_Rocco ! :D

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2018 12:52PM

I come across them and have learned to see them in bad pics. And I usually buy every pr67 available on eBay and elsewhere I can find.
    The pr67 ending with 4044. It is a modified FS 403 that is an indentical match to one of the 1939 re engraved types. Stunning toner too. It is one of two extra pr67 toners I have. I could be convinced to sell or trade it WELL below 403 list price. I am getting ready to send it in for reconsideration and attribution otherwise.

@Aspie_Rocco said:

Send me a PM if you want...

@Hallco said:

@Aspie_Rocco said:

Sounds like a friendly Jefferson Proof competition is potentially looming between @FranklinHalfAddict & @Aspie_Rocco ! :D

Lol, I am a sharing person, lol. I have all the ones I NEED, the rest are just happy fluff.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

i guess it would be the 1939 d ddr jeffersons (5) and the 1948 canadian half (6)

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guess the only date/type I "own too many of" is the 1806 Draped Bust Half. There are 5 or 6 Redbook Varieties that I'd like to have, (though one falls into the "too rare for Tom" category). I have 4, I think.

But to me, they are "different"!! ;)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an unusual number of 1970-D Kennedy Half Dollars. Maybe forty or fifty. They don't mean beans anymore, but used to be better than average.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

1913 Var One Buffs with color-

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have at one time or another owned seven 1914-D Lincoln Cents.

The coin has mystified me since my teenage years when I couldn't afford one. I also owned 2 1909-S V.D.B. Cents, I still own one.

That's another one that got me when I was young.

Like Bill above said, the 1970-D Kennedy was a big deal in its time. I didn't go crazy on that one but had to have it.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

1913 Buffalo Nickel. I have quite a few. Not as many as many of you, but 7 or 8 or so. BTW. Crazyhounddog photo'd this coin.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to buy attractively toned 1958 halves, accumulating about a roll of them before breaking the habit.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1842 $2.50 is a coin I would like to hoard. PCGS has graded 34 in all grades since 1986. I own 2 of them.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    I have an unusual number of 1970-D Kennedy Half Dollars. Maybe forty or fifty. They don't mean beans anymore, but used to be better than average.

Lol
    I was the same with 1973 Ike's.
    I still have a bunch in mint cello.
    My worst obsession was 1876 3 cent nickels.
    Finally I stopped hoarding them but I can't recall why I was so enamored with them.
    Still I twitch when I see one at a show.
    Fortunately they are not very common.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProfLiz said:
    17 slabbed, a few more raw, and counting....

That's awesome. Do you have a registry set for these? It would be great to see all the coins together.

• philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it was Col. E.H.R. Green who said “The 1913 Liberty Head nickel is my hoard of choice! Till death do us part.”

😜

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• ProfLizProfLiz Posts: 260 ✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@ProfLiz said:
    17 slabbed, a few more raw, and counting....

That's awesome. Do you have a registry set for these? It would be great to see all the coins together.

I hadn't thought of a registry set - that's a fun idea!

I have been working on a grading set (just to have a theme), but the reality is that I love the design, and I just can't resist them.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• robecrobec Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

For awhile it was colorful 1961 Proof Lincoln's, not so much for the date. Those were just the most plentiful. Thankfully I'm on to to other things.

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 11 graded 1834 bust quarters spanning 5 die varieties. I will probably get several more as I uprade in quality, add die marriages, and add die states.
    Here area couple:

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to corner the market on 2018-D Lincolns, but for some mysterious reason more of them keep showing up in change!

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file