Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

KEY Date GRADE?!

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

No straight grade. It has VG+ sharpness, but it’s been cleaned, recolored and appears to have an obverse rim problem at 12 o’clock.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

It also may not be genuine. The surfaces look puffy and strange, especially on the reverse.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    No straight grade. It has VG+ sharpness, but it’s been cleaned, recolored and appears to have an obverse rim problem at 12 o’clock.

That rim problem you're talking about is just where the picture cuts off, lol. I agree it has been cleaned, but I do think it is genuine.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

What Bill said.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very strange looking reverse.... I agree with Bill on that point... something not right with that cent. Cheers, RickO

• Options

It's not that bumpy looking in person, the flash is exaggerating it. It's been cleaned after a couple tumbles in the wet washer/dryer is what I'm thinking. Definitely genuine though, and I only paid $35 for this rare KEY date, so I'm happy either way. I'm sure I'll flip it for profit towards a higher grade specimen when "upgrading" my wheat cent collection over time. :)

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am in the won't straight grade camp. From the photos.the rim looks rolled as the lettering on the reverse is very close to the rim which looks high, especially for a circulated cent. The second A in America is very odd, the crossbar is slanted, the top of the C in Cent points up but could just be a hit. A few other things here and there. Possibly a counterfeit that has been 'circulated', but I don't have a genuine 31-S available to compare against right now.

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    NomaderNomader Posts: 120 ✭✭

Beautiful Shade!

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

2018 thread bizarrely resurrected.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

What @BillJones said!.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

What @Jimnight said.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    2018 thread bizarrely resurrected.

Likely bringing up his/her own earlier thread under an earlier ID.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

What @Catbert and @TomB said. :D

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not genuine.
    Lance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji