Home U.S. Coin Forum

Key DATE Grade?!

What do you think this key date LW.C. would grade?

Thanks!

Comments

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

When in doubt, don't.
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Needs conservation badly. Then its eye appeal will "pop."

• @Insider2 said:
    Needs conservation badly. Then its eye appeal will "pop."

What do you suggest on a key date copper coin?!

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't touch it if you are not experienced. Coin Care works, then remove it. Telling you what to use is easy, Telling you how to use the chemicals so as not to possibly impair the coin takes so much longer. Basically, don't rub the surface, so roll the chemical on with a Q-tip. Conservation requires several steps with different chemicals that are proprietary or they cut my tongue out. I believe the ANA has a class or you can send it to a TPGS for conservation.

• cherrypickerrrrrcherrypickerrrrr Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited November 5, 2018 1:01PM

@Insider2 said:
    Don't touch it if you are not experienced. Coin Care works, then remove it. Telling you what to use is easy, Telling you how to use the chemicals so as not to possibly impair the coin takes so much longer. Basically, don't rub the surface, so roll the chemical on with a Q-tip. Conservation requires several steps with different chemicals that are proprietary or they cut my tongue out. I believe the ANA has a class or you can send it to a TPGS for conservation.

Thanks, man! :)

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fine-15, but it would not surprise me if it found its way into a VF-20 holder.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with F.

Can you name your discussions a little more specifically? Your last three have all had the same name.

Collector, occasional seller

• @ChrisH821 said:
    I agree with F.

Can you name your discussions a little more specifically? Your last three have all had the same name.

Yeah, no problem man. Good idea. Thank you.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a 15... I would recommend you either leave it alone, or send it to the professionals...If it were mine, I would leave it as is....Cheers, RickO

• @ricko said:
    Looks like a 15... I would recommend you either leave it alone, or send it to the professionals...If it were mine, I would leave it as is....Cheers, RickO

Will do! Thanks, Rick!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file