Home U.S. Coin Forum

1982 $0.01 bronze error help

I've acquired this 1982 $0.01 error coin. It stated it is bronze but I want to identify whether it's a large or small date. I only have the top of the eight and the two on the date to make that determination. Is there any other way with this coin to figure out if it's small or large date?
Click to see a Larger Image!

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a small date, but I wouldn't bet the farm on that.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

The prong is hiding some of the date. Don't really know if that matters, though.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugh, the prong is hiding the one part of the date that could determine the type. From the curvature of the 2 I’d guess it’s a small date, but that really is mostly just a guess.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dare to compare:

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is a small date based upon the angle of the slope in the two.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting ... and it does look as if it would be a small date.... Will you send it back for attribution?? Cheers, RickO

• philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2018 8:52AM

Can you rotate coins in NGC prong slabs? It would mean rapidly tapping the long side of the slab on the countertop, pushing the slab forward with each tap. A big circular tapping movement

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that it is PROBABLY the Small Date. Stupid prong!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes it is a small two. Any paper work?

• Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

I'm going with small date also. Fineness of the lettering, shape of the mouth, front of the hair, etc.

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you can move the coin with some gentle tapping. There are some techniques on youtube. Let us know. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin ain't moving. IMO, that coin should be re-holdered for free.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file