Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I'm not usually one for Unc Morgans, but this one caught my eye. Please GTG! (Revealed!)

zrlevinzrlevin Posts: 734 ✭✭✭
edited November 1, 2018 2:07PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This is my first Unc Morgan (I had a couple come and go years back, but I'm not gonna count them) and I'm really pleased with it. Please let me know your thoughts and guess the grade! (Revealed later in the thread)

Zach

Comments

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!! It looks like an MS-65 PL rattler. :)

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

65PL here as well

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS66

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it at 65. I rather like it as well!

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

+1 Nice blush :)

@jtlee321 said:
    Nice!! It looks like an MS-65 PL rattler. :)

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Morgan and a good strike too.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice 64PL, congrats!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

65 with good eye appeal

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2018 6:57AM

It's a nicer example than many in 65 holders that I have seen. I will be surprised if it is not at least there. Great eye appeal as well. Nicely done!

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 or 65 PL...yeah I know i am hedging my bets on the numeric part...

On the minus side the coin does have some marks on the cheek / jaw area both on the devise and in the field, the reverse looks to have some marks vs. the typical pretty clean reverse, Looks like hairlines to the right of the eagle but could be the photos.

On the plus side overall the coin is fairly clean with decent toning and for an O mint is well struck with decent definition of the hair above the ears which is often a limiting factor between a 64 and 65. Based on this I will go 65 PL...no matter what the grade it looks to be an attractive example.

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking Morgan... some obverse and reverse chatter in the fields, and the obverse rim ding...64/65..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slam dunk for 64, maybe 65. I love understated toning like this, with a good amount of mint luster. Very positive eye appeal. Without being able to tilt the coin in hand, I'm on the fence for PL... nice pick up!!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

65pl

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

PL reverse, obverse? 64/65.

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clean cheek, nice fields but with the aforementioned chatter, I'm going to say MS65 with no PL designation - insufficient mirrors.

• Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

64+ semi PL?

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat Morgan. MS64 PL.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

64pl. not bad for a toned coin.

• Options
    CoinshowmanCoinshowman Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

64PL

Successful Forum transactions in the last couple of years with: jwitten, liefgold, goldcoin98. Older transactions with shortrgapbob, abitofthisabitofthat, Duxbutt, Morgansforever, Elkevvo, Dunerlaw, Pwrful4, Billet7, AUandAG, pragmaticgoat, MPLunatic, Rob41281, holeinone1972, AnkurJ, OregonCityGold, Inditonka, Colorfulcoins, cohodk, Mission16, kieferscoins
  • Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

65pl

• Options

Thanks for all the guesses! It's a 64 rattler with a green CAC sticker, though the dealer I purchased it from mentioned he expected a gold sticker on this one. This is my first rattler and I don't really care for the holder, so I may send it back in with my upcoming submission and try for an upgrade. I'm not an expert at these, but I think it has a decent chance for 65 and a smaller chance for PL (with a few areas of the obverse fields being less lustrous). I paid strong 64 money for it, so with so much eye appeal (for me, anyway :) ) even if it only comes back a 64 again I'll still be pleased.

Zach
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have said MS-65 P-L. It might make that if it were to be cracked out and re-submitted. I won’t do that. The trouble with P-L coins is that every mark get overemphasized. Therefore the mark behind Ms Liberty’s head on the right side looks more prominent than it probably is. Therefore it might still be called an MS-64.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    I would have said MS-65 P-L. It might make that if it were to be cracked out and re-submitted. I won’t do that. The trouble with P-L coins is that every mark get overemphasized. Therefore the mark behind Ms Liberty’s head on the right side looks more prominent than it probably is. Therefore it might still be called an MS-64.

Thanks, this is a good point. My photo also isn't doing any favors relative to that particular mark. Here's the dealer's photo:

Zach
  • Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin looks bit undergraded

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2018 10:44PM

The coin looks undergraded to me but unless it upgrades to a 66 you’re not gaining much if anything monetarily after grading and shipping fees.

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with the slab grade. A really nice, original coin that probably would get the cop out + upon resubmission. I just see a few too many small hits on Liberty's cheek and jaw area in the slab photo to push it over the MS65 hump. jmo.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

This date comes so nice that MS 65 PL is a very iffy proposition. It's value will not come near regrading costs and shipping fees.

Just keep it as is.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one of those situations where a 64 with a good strike and good eye appeal to me is more desirable than a ho-hum looking, softly struck 65! I like it a lot. Good luck whatever you decide to do. If it was me, I would keep it and enjoy it! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file