Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why is ICG in the second tier with ANACS?

Comments

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2018 7:49AM

I've had coins in non tier one slabs that I couldn't sell at shows even for far less money than the price sheets say the grade should go for.

Example, I had a 16d dime in a ANACS holder that was graded at 20. When I bought it I felt it was really a 15 and that's the "money" I paid for it. (I bought the coin, and not the holder) But when I wanted to sell, I couldn't get anyone to offer "anything". Not even money in the 12 to 15 range for almost 2 years. So I sent it in to PCGS as a cross over with a min grade of 15. And that's what PCGS graded it as. The next show I had dealers fighting over the coin at premium prices.

I'd still buy "the right coin" in a tier 2 holder "for the right price" but I'd do it with the plan to send it in for a cross over.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the Volume and size certainly not the quality of the work.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:
    ...the chop house serves dry aged PCGS with 3 cuts of NGC...ANACS and ICG are fit for a good ground chuck burger cooked medium-rare...the rest go in hotdogs; lips, eyelids and buttholes and there is plenty of it ;)

Actually, the meat is the same. You just pay more for it at the chophouse and the chef does not come out to your table to say hello, see how you are doing, and leave you a personal note! :p

@AlexinPA said:
    I only ever bought two ICG slabs in my life and I will never buy another. One, a ICG graded AU 53 1875 CC Trade Dollar and two, an ICG grade EF 40 1874 CC Trade Dollar. Both came back from NGC and PCGS as 'Details' Cleaned. In other words I was out the money I paid for two Carson City coins. I may be harsh but personally I would never trust an ICG slabed coin.

Unfortunately, you did not remove the coins before trying for a cross. :( What do you expect? A top TPGS is NOT going to let you know a second tier TPGS knows how to grade.

@braddick said:
    This is a bit troublesome:

The corrosion was NOT on the coin when it was graded so your post is of little value when evaluating a TPGS. However, I'm glad you posted it. It lets us know to monitor or coins both raw and slabbed. This is common on ancients. In fact last week I looked at two of my Greek bronze coins from Syracuse and both had deteriorated. One cannot be saved but I conserved the other. Hopefully, it will remain stable for a few years.

@92vette said:
    Years ago I submitted the King of silver eagles to ICG. I have strong reason to believe doing so, instead of submitting to pcgs, cost me at least $60K. :|:|

That is a very tough lesson! :(

I thought every experienced and knowledgeable collector/dealer/investor knew that a coin in a PGCS slab generally brings more than an NGC slab which beings more than an ICG slab...etc.

When I submitted the two CC Trade $ to NGC I did not remove them from their ICG slabs. When they came back from NGC I cracked them out and then sent them to PCGS as 'raw' coins. Perhaps it was an era of graders because I have found more. Just bad luck is all.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good thread.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that ICG is better than SEGS, although I did sell a very nice SEGS graded coin to one of the major dealers when I was in the business. I will guarantee you that the coin, an 1848-C Quarter Eagle, is no longer in that holder.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's dial it back guys,,,,,,,, the envelope is being pushed,,,,,,, don't want anyone to get banned.

Best to change the subject now.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally think ICG older slabs were overgraded based on how they grade today. Here is one of my favorite ICG coins, but it is not a 67.

• Options

An experiment I did way back when about grading. A picture is worth a thousand words right?

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said: "It's hard to comment in this thread without feeling that I am attacking Skip, which I do not want to do. He is a Gentleman, in spite of how he seems here! :D I will do so anyway.

This is one of the funniest posts I've ever read. Another reason I formerly was able to post anonymously and have fun.

Skip is a cur monger not a gentleman at all! He is also an equal defender of ALL TPGS when they deserve it and the first to throw down when they screw up. Have at it!

I'm enjoying this discussion before it gets poofed!

• Options

@Wabbit2313 said:
    ICG will also do crossovers. The high tech rejection ticket you get back is state of the art. I saved a few over the years. Is that Skip's writing? No sugar coating here, just slap you across the face rejection!

Those are notes from our finalizer. When I reject a cross, I often tell the collector why it did not cross.

• Options

@Wabbit2313 said:
    I personally think ICG older slabs were overgraded based on how they grade today. Here is one of my favorite ICG coins, but it is not a 67.

That coin was graded by the Colorado crew. I recognize two of the names. the first two graders were MS-66, the finalizer bumped their grades to MS-67. Hopefully, he discussed the coin with them.

As for coins downgrading from the 2 major services when sent in raw...it happens. We respect all the TPGS (some more than others). NEVER take a coin out of a top two Service holder when you send it in to us. if it crosses or goes up, we do it w/o prejudice. We crossed some beautiful coins in "fly-by-night holders last week. It's all about the coin and not the holder.

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said:
    ICG will also do crossovers. The high tech rejection ticket you get back is state of the art. I saved a few over the years. Is that Skip's writing?

No sugar coating here, just slap you across the face rejection!

Why do I hear the "Soup Nazi's" voice behind those notes. I bet one more and you would have been banned from submitting for a year... :p

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I rate ICG above NGC.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    This is a bit troublesome:

The corrosion was NOT on the coin when it was graded so your post is of little value when evaluating a TPGS. However, I'm glad you posted it. It lets us know to monitor or coins both raw and slabbed. This is common on ancients. In fact last week I looked at two of my Greek bronze coins from Syracuse and both had deteriorated. One cannot be saved but I conserved the other. Hopefully, it will remain stable for a few years.

To be clear: This coin was corrosion free for centuries and yet when it is slabbed by ANACS turned in the holder?

peacockcoins

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2018 6:28PM

@koynekwest said:
    Personally, I rate ICG above NGC.

For some very specific niche or generally? If the latter, I think you are part of a very small minority.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

The latter. I guess I am in the minority and I don't care.

• Options
    edited October 1, 2018 9:36PM

@Chessman said:
    I'm so impressed by all the positive comments here on ICG, tomorrow I'm going to send in all my PCGS and cac coins to ICG to try to get them to cross, but by the look of things, ICG may downgrade a bunch of them or put "no!" stickers and return them to me, and I'll be disappointed.

Believe it or not, we cross a large number of NGC and PCGS into our holders. They rarely upgrade. We reject some too for all sorts of reasons. I always call the customer and tell them the coin will probably bring more money left as is (PCGS or NGC) but many prefer our holder and don't care about the Registries.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@Chessman said:
    I'm so impressed by all the positive comments here on ICG, tomorrow I'm going to send in all my PCGS and cac coins to ICG to try to get them to cross, but by the look of things, ICG may downgrade a bunch of them or put "no!" stickers and return them to me, and I'll be disappointed.

Believe it or not, we cross a large number of NGC and PCGS into our holders. They rarely upgrade. We reject some too for all sorts of reasons. I always call the customer and tell them the coin will probably bring more money left as is (PCGS or NGC) but many prefer our holder and don't care about the Registries.

I'm not being a jerk, but why would anyone cross a coin from PCGS or NGC to ICG? Do people love the holder that much?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@Chessman said:

I like the ICG holder a lot, and I'm glad others do too. That being said, I like PCGS because of the TrueViews.

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anacs is at shows, never seen ICG at one.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SoCalBigMark said:
    Anacs is at shows, never seen ICG at one.

I was at a show a few years back. Randy Campbell from ICG was there. I submitted a 1 oz gold Buffalo and it came back MS69 which was the correct grade as it had a small hit on the coin.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

@burfle23 said:
    I have had many of my lower grade early coppers graded and authenticated by ICG; their service is head and shoulders above the others in my opinion- where else can you actually speak to a grader during a submission if there are questions? The pricing is better and the turnaround times as well, and I have had no issues with grades. In my latest collection direction I have utilized their counterfeit holders, which are the only ones in the industry- I am a fan.

As @burfle23 says above, they will do your counterfeit coins, or false pieces as some call them. I actually sent ICG an email a few days ago and this is the response I got concerning counterfeit coins........

my question sent to ICG was.....
    "Will ICG slab a buffalo nickel counterfeit or “false piece” as they are sometimes referred to and so note this on the slab?”

and the answer I got from Amanda Barnhardt at ICG customer service was........

We can certainly do this. It would have to be slabbed in our educational counterfeit holder with our yellow counterfeit label. These coins are to be submitted under the tier of service that you select, with an added attribution fee. In the attribution field on the form, simply write "Counterfeit Slab."

PCGS NGC and ANACS will not do the above to the best of my knowledge.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2018 7:05AM

I wonder why ICG and ANACS have not changed their holder inserts which would grip the sides of the coin at three or four contact points like pcgs and ngc now have , allowing for the view of part of of the side of the coin. For a while pcgs had a real problem with their older wrap around inserts. Just take a look at the following coin from the Heritage database. Notice how the insert has appeared to have melted and wrapped around the rim of this 1927 specimen or special strike buffalo nickel that is worth over $50K! Betcha this happened after the coin was slabbed. I cannot see quality control letting something like this out. I wonder if it is still in this holder or has perhaps been reholdered?

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2018 7:06AM

Gonna get my false pieces slabbed by ICG now.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

@BUFFNIXX said:
    I wonder why ICG and ANACS have not changed their holder inserts which would grip the sides of the coin at three or four contact points like pcgs and ngc now have, allowing for the view of part of of the side of the coin.

Edge view insets were popular with all the services with the Prezi Bucks, but not everyone likes them. Perhaps it’s to offer a differentiated service?

• Options

I think the main reasonI CG and anacs did not go this way is the cost of switching over.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

@cameonut2011 asked: "I'm not being a jerk, but why would anyone cross a coin from PCGS or NGC to ICG? Do people love the holder that much?"

You are asking a really good question that I cannot answer. I'm not lying. I just gave $$$ worth of NGC and PCGS labels (from crack outs) to a dealer friend so he can return them to correct the pop reports.

I have given some reasons: They like our holder and they want their collection to look the same. I will not post the other reasons they use ICG. I post here with the permission of PCGS moderators and don't wish to abuse that luxury!

I will say this, I wouldn't think of doing it myself. :)

• Options

@Insider2 said:
    @cameonut2011 asked: "I'm not being a jerk, but why would anyone cross a coin from PCGS or NGC to ICG? Do people love the holder that much?"

You are asking a really good question that I cannot answer. I'm not lying. I just gave $$$ worth of NGC and PCGS labels (from crack outs) to a dealer friend so he can return them to correct the pop reports.

I have given some reasons: They like our holder and they want their collection to look the same. I will not post the other reasons they use ICG. I post here with the permission of PCGS moderators and don't wish to abuse that luxury!

That is the same reason often given for crossing from ATS to PCGS and vice versa.

• Options

@BUFFNIXX and other members,

A little history and a suggestion as the collector/dealer base has more power than you know.

At one time there was only one authentication service ANACS in DC. They authenticated US and World coins (no ancients) and tokens/medals. We graded coins for internal records only.

ANACS moved to CO and the principals of that service (Hoskins and Fazzari) stayed in DC and started the INS Authentication Bureau. INSAB authenticated everything including ancients. We were also the first grading service (beat ANA by several months) and graded coins for free. Mr. Hoskins believed grading was an opinion and the grade was sent separately from the Authentication Certificate.

NCI and other services came onto the market. I don't know what they graded.

PCI in TN authenticated everything except ancients. We did a few of them anyway. PCI was the first TPGS to slab problem coins.

By now PCGS and NGC were at the top of the market. They did US coins and foreign coins. No tokens/medals/ problem coins and very few varieties! When I joined NGC, I told the owner if we were to be a top TPGS we need to grade and authenticate everything including ALL VARIETIES as the other second tier services. Unfortunately it took a few years to come around.

Here is the point. EVENTUALY the big boys were dragged kicking and screaming to do just about all varieties, tokens/medals, and especially "detail" coins. Now, paper money and stamps have joined sports cards. At least one is doing ancients. It takes time to hire qualified folks and start a new service. Slabbing C/F's takes nothing. In view of what has happened in the past, if enough collectors/dealers ask for it, the top two may eventually slab fakes even though it will not pay for itself.

• Options

Skip, will you be at FUN in your booth?

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure how applicable it is here, but Mr. Centsles just sold some serious coins in ICG holders. Two of them were a 1832 bust half in 67+ and a 37-D 3 leg in 65. I was going to bid but they quickly left my price range. I am on my work computer right now so I can't link the ebay auctions but these were nice looking coins. Perhaps someone can link to them.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    yKnotyKnot Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

Great thread and very informative into the grading process. I did not know that ICG will let you communicate with the graders and learn why your coin did not cross or upgrade. This type of information would be great to have and would be something I’d be willing to pay a little extra for if offered by PCGS.

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Adds to the fun:

• Options

I have just been promoted to “expert” here on these boards and have no idea what I did to deserve it!
    Maybe it was because of this thread? At least I got an email to that effect.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

Congratulations! I don't think it was this thread that did it. :wink:

Here is what I figured out. There is no SET rhyme or reason to the stars. That's because the normal system of awarding stars/points for likes, agrees, new badges, can be augmented by the folks who run CU. There are folks here with five stars who know very little about coins yet they are a wonderful asset to the forums. Shortly after I joined, a new member who joined at a later date and worked at a major coin company got three stars in no time at all.

You definitely add a lot to the forums; yet some of the best numismatists in the country who post here don't have four or five stars yet. I'd like to see a system where folks as Dennis Loring, Tony Terranova, Gerry Fortin, Ken Bressett, or Jeff Garret (don't think any are members) were to join today, they would get the five stars immediately.

• Options

Since we are talking ICG I once purchased an ICG MS68 buffalo nickel for $500.00. Believe me the grading was spot on and I could not disagree with that grade at all. Sold it a few years later for $1000.00 in a Heritage auction.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

This ICG slabbed coin is on sale at flea bay now, looks to be correctly graded......

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

67+??? LOL. Skip, did you see the coin? Highest at PCGS is one sole 66. Also, seller shill bought it back.

• Options

It's a pretty coin but I've never graded a bust half 67 in my life. The tiny black planchet flaws are distracting.

There are 42 bidders. Are you saying the seller bought it back? I'd like to see the MS-66. :)

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    Not sure how applicable it is here, but Mr. Centsles just sold some serious coins in ICG holders. Two of them were a 1832 bust half in 67+ and a 37-D 3 leg in 65. I was going to bid but they quickly left my price range. I am on my work computer right now so I can't link the ebay auctions but these were nice looking coins. Perhaps someone can link to them.

Just check some of Centles' ICG coins: https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&LH_Auction=1&_ssn=centsles&_sop=1

They bring top money, there must be increasing numbers of ICG followers who are as giddy as teenagers at a Taylor Swift concert! And "Insider" is like the pied piper of ICG numismatics, thanks for fanning the enthusiasm, Skip! I don't know why he isn't president of the ANA by now.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file