Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bought a counterfeit 1884-s $1 pcgs au55 on ebay *updated with photos*

joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 17, 2018 5:52PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Coin didnt look right when it came in
Slab looked off
top of slab and bottom of slab are not same generation
doesnt make the correct noise when dropped on counter (if you hear the difference you would understand for those whom dont know)

https://ebay.com/itm/1884-s-PCGS-au-55-Morgan-Dollar-/173516867862?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=hxaw%252FxjZabzJfYvQDPFCkziKCW4%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

may the fonz be with you...always...

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Question? Coin didn't look right, etc. is not helpful. You are saying both the coin and slab are counterfeit but before you return it would you please be more specific? Perhaps a image or two for our education. Do the numbers on the slab match the coin on the PCGS site? Thanks.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm....the coin looks okay. How do you know it is fake?

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cert. # matches.

• Options

@Smudge said:
    Cert. # matches.

Of course they fake those now also. But the coin looks good to me, although the pictures aren't great. I'm curious what he means about the slab not being right.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me too.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a lot for a low end 84-s in 55.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no photo on pcgs site so it is very hard to tell from ebay photo

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:

I thought the price was good. These were selling for $700 a couple of years ago.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Smudge said:
    Cert. # matches.

Of course they fake those now also. But the coin looks good to me, although the pictures aren't great. I'm curious what he means about the slab not being right.

But never the barcode for some reason.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Maybe the OP is an NGC dealer who wants to run down PCGS?

The OP is a pretty knowledgeable person when it comes to coins and has been very helpful on these boards for over a decade. Not sure why you would post this but also not surprised.

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you call the Secret Service yet? What actually happens when you do they the Secret Service knock on your door. Ask to see the coin then take said coin. Only to never see the coin again. Is that how it works? Me I would not know what to look for but you guys are the pro's.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElKevvo said: "The OP is a pretty knowledgeable person when it comes to coins and has been very helpful on these boards for over a decade. Not sure why you would post this but also not surprised."

See if you can figure it out for yourself. I thought my post was very snarky ( >:) - it's in my nature) and very funny. :)

BTW, what is more important in this discussion is: Do YOU think the OP's coin is a counterfeit in a counterfeit PCGS slab? We'll have to see won't we?

Furthermore, he has the coin and the slab and apparently he is very knowledgeable. I have to believe you because he knows how to authenticate slabbed coins by dropping them!

• Options

I had this one that upgraded:

Hard to tell from the scans, it had a great PL look and upgraded.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take your precious metals verifer and see if the coin is actually 90% silver.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you show what you mean by one side of the slab not being the same as the other? Maybe that's why you are hearing a different sound from them.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options

@ElKevvo said:

@Insider2 said:
    Maybe the OP is an NGC dealer who wants to run down PCGS?

The OP is a pretty knowledgeable person when it comes to coins and has been very helpful on these boards for over a decade. Not sure why you would post this but also not surprised.

K

I think it was a joke

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks legit to me. What's it weigh in that generation slab? Should be right about 55.5g. Wouldn't put much faith in the sigma, heavy silver plate will still come back authentic.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@Insider2 said:

@logger7 said:
    I had this one that upgraded: >

LOOK! What you have just done IMHO is screw up the OP's discussion. NOW, there are two different coins here! We are discussing the OP's coin. I for one don't care what you own when it is posted here. Please delete your image and start your own thread!

I thought we established it was a genuine coin in a good holder; I thought we were talking about quality at this juncture.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:

@Insider2 said:

@logger7 said:
    I had this one that upgraded: >

LOOK! What you have just done IMHO is screw up the OP's discussion. NOW, there are two different coins here! We are discussing the OP's coin. I for one don't care what you own when it is posted here. Please delete your image and start your own thread!

I thought we established it was a genuine coin in a good holder; I thought we were talking about quality at this juncture.

Was a good comparison for me.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said:

@logger7 said:

I thought the price was good. These were selling for $700 a couple of years ago.

Not that I ever saw. In my experience prices were usually $450 to $500.

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭

Please help me out, I'm fooled too.

Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    edited September 17, 2018 6:33PM

Some slab lessons for those that dont know and now also to teach those that are trying to fool others what they are missing.

Experience is huge in coins. Certain series I am really strong on while others I can use more experience. I recently purchased a complete set of $2.5 indians in a nice capital plastic holder and upon showing it to a Eric Streiner he immediately said "the 1908 is not real.... or the 1914.... also the 1928..."

He showed me what I was missing and I removed the coins from my inventory.
    For fun I took the set to John Guilde- another gold expert who LOVES to be challenged and within 2 seconds he identified the same counterfeits. This knowledge comes from handling thousands of pieces and knowing how to identify anything that might be out of place. I was happy to learn.

Back on this coin, the morgan to me just has the wrong look. Maybe its a flatness-or the coloration/metal shine or just something made me take a second look. Some slab tale-tell signs.

1. Both the 97-o and 84-s are both of the newest generation pcgs holder. However the reverse logo of the 84-s is from a previous holder.
    2. The sides/seams of the slab felt smooth as appose to the sharper feel of the newer holders.
    3. the bottom of the new slabs (i showed 2 coins) have a serial number inside the plastic. This 84-s does not.

Hopefully these 3 proofs can be identified in my accompanying photos.

Summation: Genuine new generation top of slab (and genuine tag)- perhaps a genuine back as well (while both individual sides may be the real deal, together they do not make it real as they come from different time periods)
    The coin inside I believe is not genuine at all.

• Options
    edited September 17, 2018 6:05PM

I don't have any slabbed dollars in inventory, but I have a couple dozen classic commems in those identical holders: same reverse, same obverse, no serial number on the bottom.

Edited to say: okay, the one thing that is off is the hologram over the other reverse label. You're right, that is off.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2018 6:13PM

Only thing that doesn't add up is 2nd to last picture. As you say appears to be older generation reverse slab attached to newer generation front. Looks like someone sliced a slab and resealed. Obviously they would have swapped coin but still seems like a lot of trouble for not much profit.

Edit: Or perhaps just a PCGS error when transitioning from 4.5 to 5.0 holder. Could have a 5.0 front on a 4.5 reverse. Coin still looks legit to me.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2018 7:32PM

I have no ability to determine PCGS holders, but I would love to hear why the coin is counterfeit. I don't see any signs of a nongenuine Morgan Dollar. I truly would like to be educated on this, but also query that if the coin is genuine, why would someone go to the trouble of manufacturing a fake holder with the correct numbers. Where would be the profit(again if the coin is genuine)? I believe I would contact the seller with your concerns and tell them I was sending it to PCGS to be certified and if it is not, I would be returning it. JMO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

The hologram looks odd, but I think they possibly are using up some of the old parts in the sealing room. I could be wrong, but I still think it's legit. Maybe someone from PCGS will see this thread and confirm?

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

So you have a genuine AU55 1884-S Morgan in a counterfeit slab?

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

@VanHalen said:
    So you have a genuine AU55 1884-S Morgan in a counterfeit slab?

From above: The coin inside I believe is not genuine at all.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joebb21 said:
    Some slab lessons for those that dont know and now also to teach those that are trying to fool others what they are missing.

Experience is huge in coins. Certain series I am really strong on while others I can use more experience. I recently purchased a complete set of $2.5 indians in a nice capital plastic holder and upon showing it to a Eric Streiner he immediately said "the 1908 is not real.... or the 1914.... also the 1928..."

He showed me what I was missing and I removed the coins from my inventory.
    For fun I took the set to John Guilde- another gold expert who LOVES to be challenged and within 2 seconds he identified the same counterfeits. This knowledge comes from handling thousands of pieces and knowing how to identify anything that might be out of place. I was happy to learn.

Back on this coin, the morgan to me just has the wrong look. Maybe its a flatness-or the coloration/metal shine or just something made me take a second look. Some slab tale-tell signs.

1. Both the 97-o and 84-s are both of the newest generation pcgs holder. However the reverse logo of the 84-s is from a previous holder.
    2. The sides/seams of the slab felt smooth as appose to the sharper feel of the newer holders.
    3. the bottom of the new slabs (i showed 2 coins) have a serial number inside the plastic. This 84-s does not.

Hopefully these 3 proofs can be identified in my accompanying photos.

Summation: Genuine new generation top of slab (and genuine tag)- perhaps a genuine back as well (while both individual sides may be the real deal, together they do not make it real as they come from different time periods)
    The coin inside I believe is not genuine at all.

what I see.

-the cetrificate of the 84-s looks like a newer style. the stacking corners on the slab look one or two generations old.
    -if the certificate is as new as it looks, the holder should probably have edge view insert around the coin
    -the big one is the qr code on the back of the certificate, and the CLCT hologram sticker on the back of the slab.

at the very least, it looks like the plastic was resealed with a newer (or fake) certificate. I cannot comment on the coin

have you tried twisting the slab in your hands with a grip on the top and bottom to see if the weld or whatever breaks?

• Options

If it is a fake and tampered with slab, what's the best recourse? If you return it for your money back, it could just get recycled to bite another collector.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I have a slab that is the same as that one... when I get home this evening I will check and get back. I seem to remember seeing one where the hologram covers the QR code and logo on the insert.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...the coin is real and so is the slab...the old hologram is used with bulk orders...that’s all ;)

• Options
    edited September 18, 2018 10:25AM

I still lean towards real, although the slab pieces are a couple generations removed.

The coin looks real to me.

The slab has the right number and identifier for that coin which appears to be about the same grade as indicated on the holder.

The ONLY thing that is off is the hologram. So, to be fake, someone managed to open the slab, swap coins, and replace the back with a different back after accidentally damaging it? Not impossible, mind you, but doesn't seem the most likely explanation.

• Options

All right everyone- I am returning the coin and just relying on my experience...

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. If it is counterfeit, it seems like a lot of work for a common $300 coin.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the pictures, the coins themselves look genuine.
    The only possibility that I can see where they would be fake is if someone made sandwich coins by, for example, mating the obverse half of a genuine 1884-[P] coin with the reverse half of a genuine 1882-S (or similar) coin. But that does seem like a lot of work for a relatively small gain.

• Options
    JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 835 ✭✭✭✭✭

seems like a lot of work for a common $300 coin.
    does seem like a lot of work for a relatively small gain

One of the things that bothers me about today's counterfeits is the link below (borrowed from a post earlier this year) describing how folks in China can make money selling $.99 items.

https://thydzik.com/how-do-chinesehong-kong-sellers-make-money-on-ebay-with-99c-free-shipping-items/

It stands to reason that if you can prosper in China selling $.99 items, selling $50-$500 counterfeits would be very attractive. It would also stand to reason that the "lot of work for little gain" view here in America might enable one to fly under the radar.

I have no idea if the coin or holder is fake, but I believe the "it's a lot of effort for $_____" is a false sense of security.

Counterfeits worry me. Even if the OP's holder and coin turn out to be genuine, I think this kind of dialogue is very valuable.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• Options

One other odd thing I just noticed is that on this "new slab" the coin holdered is not pronged.

All new PCGS AND NGC coins are have the prong inside. This does not. Another red flag.

At the end of the day there are many red flags and to me its just not worth the risk

• Options

Good Luck to OP...I suggest returning it by stating you do not like it...be careful telling the seller that the coin and the PCGS holder it’s in are fake...simply because they are not fake...absolutely that coin and it’s holder are real...I lost on a return one time by saying a coin was counterfeit when indeed it turned out to be real...cleaned and fugly...but real ;)

• Options

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:
    Good Luck to OP...I suggest returning it by stating you do not like it...be careful telling the seller that the coin and the PCGS holder it’s in are fake...simply because they are not fake...absolutely that coin and it’s holder are real...I lost on a return one time by saying a coin was counterfeit when indeed it turned out to be real...cleaned and fugly...but real ;)

Thanks but I trust my judgment and am willing to stand behind it. My pictures and explanation and a letter from pcgs confirming my statements about oddities in the slab will be enough proof that something about the coin/holder was fraudulent

• Options

@joebb21 said:

Thanks but I trust my judgment and am willing to stand behind it. My pictures and explanation and a letter from pcgs confirming my statements about oddities in the slab will be enough proof that something about the coin/holder was fraudulent

...I actually agree with you now...LOL...the no prong with blue label is fishy as hell so return that sucker and don’t pay attention to my nonsense ;)

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can someone tell me what generation the holder is? :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joebb21 said:

Letter from PCGS you say? I'm interested to hear what they thought.

Collector, occasional seller

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file