Home Precious Metals
Options

Please explain for the slow

Just wondering why Apmex sells silver cheaper on eBay then their own site?

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Competition.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oldstandard said:
    Just wondering why Apmex sells silver cheaper on eBay then their own site?

Actually it's only a select few items that are cheaper. Most of their items are less expensive on their home page. And as Smudge indicated....competition is certainly a factor along with slow selling or overstocked item.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Competition and sometimes it is a way to quickly turnover a product they may have too much of and they want to clear out (goes slow on their site, they got more than they expected at a better price than expected, etc......)

Sometimes, on their site, they may not want to drop a price too low on their site, and make some other items look out of place with higher prices, but ebay is much easier to play pricing games.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

acquiring new customers

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they use it as a loss-leader to get people over to their site.

thefinn
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2018 9:10PM

Would be interesting to know their actual final valuation fee on ebay.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting topic, thanks for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always wondered the same thing. It is an odd business model but it seems to work.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apmex obviously deals in volume... and, as indicted above by @Bochiman , it could be overstock, bait for their site or other reasons. Shop all the sites, there are bargains, but they go fast. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    davidkdavidk Posts: 275 ✭✭✭

I’ve also seen the exact opposite where a dealer sells for about 20% less on their own site than for identical items (same TPG serial number) that the also list on eBay.