Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Vintage Breaks - HUGE pull at the National - 1955 BOWMAN CELLO PACK - MANTLE & BANKS - **Graded!

secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 4, 2018 12:23PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Vintage Breaks opened a 1955 Bowman Cello Pack.

They pulled an Ernie Banks and a Mickey Mantle 2nd to last card live on the stage!!!

Check out the YouTube.

https://youtu.be/V9ZrxCQwtF4

Faat forward to the 26:20 mark to start the Mantle anticipation seconds. Ernie Banks was much earlier in pack 15:25.

They were hoping the Mantle had a real shot at 8 and maybe 9 and are grading it overnight free for the winner.

Spots were $500 ea.

Most of the card is blocked by sticker and the random list but see it below.

Grade now popped on Mantle.... PSA 9!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭

psa has only graded one of those packs so far...so they opened the only psa graded bowman cello

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is cool, however kind of like killing a unicorn in the wild.

• Options

@coinspacks said:
    psa has only graded one of those packs so far...so they opened the only psa graded bowman cello

The pop is now zero or will be in a few days. I do believe they turn in the flips.

Some like to open. Others like to keep closed and admire. Those who hoard while these guys break will be hansomly rewarded as they continue to rip and will greatly appreciate their packs becoming rarer.

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

I hope Mike didn't witness the horror! :smile:

• Options
    TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭

Is it just me, or are the backgrounds lighter in color than usual. I thought the centering was really good on the whole considering the era in which they were made. The horror, but it was fun to watch. Hopefully they will the post the grades.

Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • Options
    sinoth23sinoth23 Posts: 152 ✭✭

Yeah, great pulls. Looking forward to the grades/final products.

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

how did this break work? someone buys one card? Or buys the sequence of the card?

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Ok. I saw the video. Sequence of cards. Anyone know how much per card?

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭

$500 per card

• Options

@Sdub said:
    how did this break work? someone buys one card? Or buys the sequence of the card?

They buy spots. 20 spots total. $500 per. Randomize list and rip.

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

@dan89 said:

Unicorn had it coming...

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is pretty incredible

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting website they have. Dozens of "breaks" on there. Some very inexpensive.

I guess they must do it live with video on their website for trust purposes.

Interesting business model.

• Options

It is now in a PSA 9 case!!!!!

PSA Just got done grading and it is now at their booth!

Wow congrats to Chris R. Whomever he is.

• Options

They both got 9’s???

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Banks Card is impossible if it got a 9 to me much more exciting than the Mantle.

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

Wow! What a thrill to open that pack.

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options

@brad31 said:
    That Banks Card is impossible if it got a 9 to me much more exciting than the Mantle.

They have not graded the banks yet. That might be a strong 7 honestly they feel.

Psa said a mantle 9 hasn't been graded for quite some time. Let the bidding begin.

• Options

The card received a PSA 9? Huge congrats to the lucky winner. Not a bad investment for 500 bucks.

I only watched the video once. I think either right after the card was first shown or hyping the card if it was in there, the announcer said it was a 50K card. The way Mantles have been rising, I would have to believe that 50K for that beauty might be on the low side.

i'd pay 50k for that card right now and flip it. I think a bidding war between a few whales could easily send that card over 100k.

• Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭

Whaaaaaa. Crazy stuff

• Options

@stevek said:
    Interesting website they have. Dozens of "breaks" on there. Some very inexpensive.

All break videos are on their YouTube channel live and posted afterwards seprately in case someone couldn't make the live show.

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

WOW!! So happy for the lucky people. Great to see stories like this.

PackManInNC
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bobsbbcards said:

@dan89 said:

Unicorn had it coming...

Prancing around with their fancy horns - they're basically asking for it.

And I'd rather have a 1955 Bowman Mantle PSA 9 any day

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

That is absolutely amazing. What a beautiful piece of cardboard. Nice publicity for Vintage Breaks as well. Makes me wanna jump in on their next vintage pack rip!

• Options

@secretstash said:

@stevek said:

All break videos are on their YouTube channel live and posted afterwards seprately in case someone couldn't make the live show.

Seems to me like a better idea than blasters. I always waste $50 to $100 each year on those damn things. Never get anything good. I think i'd rather take a shot on something there.

Perhaps once in a while take a $500 flyer on something like that Bowman pack. Even if ya sort of strike out with a common, a PSA 8 has some value and if ya receive a 9 with a low pop, it could even be profitable. Or just keep the card if ya like it.

I think a collector like grote15 who has great knowledge about wax, who also flips cards, could play the percentages there, and possibly make some decent money there. Perhaps he already knows about them.

Notice that Bowman pack was PSA slabbed. Just my viewpoint, but that's the only company that I would have confidence in, that the pack is truly an unopened pack. I just don't trust any of the rest.

• Options

@MantleMarisFordBerra said:
    That is absolutely amazing. What a beautiful piece of cardboard. Nice publicity for Vintage Breaks as well. Makes me wanna jump in on their next vintage pack rip!

I may be joining ya! :)

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:
    If you were the buyer, would you want, or not want the 2018 national break on the label ?

Right now, I think I'd want it.

Andy

• Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Good question.....I think in the case of a DYoung label, I would say no as there isn't much lineage there. Meaning, "ok, so it was part of the DYoung collection".

This one tells a pretty cool story as you know how it was housed for the last 60+ years, when it was set free into the wild, where it was set free into the wild followed by the 60 or so steps it took to get from cello pack rippage table to PSA table to be captured in plastic for the rest of its minty life.

Kind of like a sabretooth tiger that was born next to the La Brea tar pits whose first step was directly into the tar pits.

Pretty darn cool and a 9 to boot.

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, if they'd have cracked out something I'd like to buy, say a PSA 9 1963 Bob Lilly, and put 2018 National Break on it, I'd have no issue with that on the flip.

• Options

Chit, if I was able to own this fantastic card, they could place an ad for sanitary napkins on the label and i wouldn't care. LOL

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome card!! I would SO keep that card. Incredible story/memory to go with it and can do nothing but go up in value.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2018 12:01PM

I would definitely keep it. The provenance is clearly stated on the PSA label. Along with all the PR...it should have a premium associated with it and as UFFDAH states, "can do nothing but go up in value."

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice card. For the centering aficionado's among us, does the side to side concern anyone or does the fact that the card is super sharp and clean, and a Mantle, override the less than 50/50? It doesn't trip my OCD in the least bit taking the overall sharp look of the card into focus, I'd display that baby like it was the Mona Lisa LOL. Just curious how some others may see it. I like the flip as it is, nice provenance.

• Options
    Tecmo BoilTecmo Boil Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

Great card. Great story.
    I was cringing when the “host” went nuts and started spitting everywhere. That guy is a real piece of work.

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, the reaction was over the top. Ear piercing.

• Options

Bought one slot for the 75 cello today and hit the Yount!!!! I did not hear if they are going to send it in, however it sounded like it was 9 material. My feed stopped, did anyone hear??

• Options
    fleet47fleet47 Posts: 78 ✭✭

This is the beginning of a new trend. Vintage unopened is going to get even more scarce!

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

To get it graded for free would take it on there if I were the winner . If I was buying I would be indifferent.

• Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    for a minute there i thought someone was going to have to shoot vince vaughn with a tranquilizer dart

Come on, man! It wasn't Vince, it was Will Ferrell.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bounce said:

@galaxy27 said:
    for a minute there i thought someone was going to have to shoot vince vaughn with a tranquilizer dart

Come on, man! It wasn't Vince, it was Will Ferrell.

“You’re crazy man. You’re crazy.” ;)

KC

• Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

On a 71 that top border edge chipping means it's no higher than a 7, yet this got a 9?