Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which one of the big 3 fantasy coins would you rather have?

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 29, 2018 12:00PM in U.S. Coin Forum

If you could have only 1 given to you and you had to keep it and could not sell it. Rate them 1 to 3. Here is my list. :)

1) 1894-S Dime

2) 1913 Liberty Nickel

3) 1804 Dollar

Comments

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

The big three, your big three or my big three? I'll go with your listed three.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, and thanks for the chance! I'll PM you my mailing address... No wait, I'll come visit you in person to pick it up! :D

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

As Bman said 3,1, and,and,and, ok 2(any other coin than the nickel offered?)

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

1) 1772 Half Disme
    2) 1787 Brasher Doubloon
    3) 1880 Coiled Hair Gold Stella
    4) 1652 Pine Tree Shilling
    5) 1894-S Barber Dime

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 - I like the allure of branch minted proof coins.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1804 Dollar...not even a competition with the other two.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2018 7:18PM

I think your list is a little off?
    I'd say the "Big 3" (dimes) are:
    1873-CC No Arrows
    1894-S
    1796 JR-1 MS-66
    :smile:

• Options

@ARCO said:

That's true...…… the other 2 coins were actually minted in the year that is on the coin. Not some 30 years later. ;)

• Options

@yosclimber said:
    I think your list is a little off?
    I'd say the "Big 3" (dimes) are:
    1873-CC No Arrows
    1894-S
    1796 JR-1 MS-66
    :smile:

That would be a nice 3 pack!

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@ARCO said:

That's true...…… the other 2 coins were actually minted in the year that is on the coin. Not some 30 years later. ;)

Well, I like big coins, not little widgets. :)

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, I'll be the person going against the grain. I saw the Eliasberg Nickel at a show many years ago. I thought it was spectacular! I'd take that one! :)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

3... 1... 2.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

If all the coins were the best of each type, I'd take the 1804 dollar and the book that goes with it. The nickel would be my next choice. There are much better choices around than the dime.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

1804 $

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

1804 Dollar. If I could never sell it, then my enjoyment would come from looking at it and holding a piece of history. The 1913 nickel isn't very historic in my opinion. It's either a small production run or a illegal mint worker midnight job. The 1894-S dime is cool but I don't care for the design.

By the way, I would probably crack out the 1804 dollar for further in-hand enjoyment.

• Options

@savitale said:
    1804 Dollar. If I could never sell it, then my enjoyment would come from looking at it and holding a piece of history. The 1913 nickel isn't very historic in my opinion. It's either a small production run or a illegal mint worker midnight job. The 1894-S dime is cool but I don't care for the design.

By the way, I would probably crack out the 1804 dollar for further in-hand enjoyment.

Why is the 1804 a better piece of history? It wasn't even coined in 1804,

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@savitale said:

Why is the 1804 a better piece of history? It wasn't even coined in 1804,

Easy, It has a book and decades of research behind it.

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Eliasberg 1913 of course.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

None of the above, instead

48 CAL $2.5
    54-S $2.5
    $5 Oregon Beaver

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

3, 2, 1

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

1804 $.....I promise will never ever sell it <3

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2018 10:13PM

Wait a minute here.......this is a biggest TEASE I've seen in CU :( and it's NOT even on a Fine Print :|

@DIMEMAN said:

If you could have only 1 given to you and you had to keep it and could not sell it. Rate them 1 to 3. Here is my list. :)

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

1804 $
    1913 nickel
    1894-S dime

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2018 10:45PM

Man there ain't enough 1804$ to go around

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2018 10:49PM

@Stooge said:
    I would like to have the little girls ice cream 1894-S Barber Dime. Mega history behind that coin.

I found it last tuesday. Along with twenty-nine 1933 double eagles. They all fell from the sky.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    If all the coins were the best of each type, I'd take the 1804 dollar and the book that goes with it. The nickel would be my next choice. There are much better choices around than the dime.

That's an interesting thought. I was also thinking that if the Mint ever decided to target some of the mega rarities in this hobby (like it did the 1933 Saint, 1964-D Peace Dollar, etc.), the 1894-S dime would be safe since official Mint records legitimate them. The 1804 like the other novodels are likely somewhat more legitimate. The 1913 Liberty Nickel seems like the one that would be targeted first and would be the most controversial of the three.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    Which 1804 dollar? I'm fussy, and sometimes look a gift horse in the mouth.

For $23, I wasn't too fussy:

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

1822 half eagle--the best one

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

My choice would be the King of Siam Proof set, which has an 1804 dollar in it. Beyond that I have a lot of the “dream coins” that I have always wanted to get, like the 1792 half disme, the 1848 CAL. Quarter eagle and a Chain Cent. I’d like to have a better Chain Cent, and when you really come down to it, it would be a high grade example of the AMERI. variety that would really float my boat. I’d also like to have a nice California $50 gold a.k.a. “a slug.”

As for some of the other coins already list, some of them don’t do much for me. The 1913 Liberty Nickel has never been high in my regard. I’d rank the 1894-S dime a little higher, but it’s not something that I would go out of my way to get. The 1854-S quarter eagle is interesting, but there are other coins much more common coins from the first year of San Francisco Mint’s first year that satisfy me just as much.

For me history and a good story are equal to or even more important than rarity.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is easy list for me to compile:
    1- 1804 Dollar - Child example
    2- 1796 Dime MS 67 or 68
    3- 1792 Dime J-10
    4- 1823/2 quarter in proof
    5- 1809 dime in PCGS MS-66
    6- 1811/9 dime in PCGS MS-66

I get all of the above then I have all the coins that I would want in my cabinet. Unfortunately, its aint happening.

Easton Collection
  • Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely the 1804 dollar first then really can't decide between the dime or the nickel would probably end up flipping the dollar to decide between those two.

• Options

@OldEastside said:
    Eliasberg 1913 Nickel, I think it brings good luck, why do I think that you ask :wink: well because I was at Long Beach around 2000/2001 whenever they had it on display, I was out of work and rent was 2 months behind, anyhow I spent about 15 minutes with it up on that horseshoe podium, everyone was packing up and that Nickel was MINE for a brief few minutes, anyhow after I got home I put together a submission of common Jeffersons and sent it to teletrade via PCGS. Long story short, 5 made top pops with full steps and teletrade sent me a nice check............OH, Also I got a good job while all that was going on.............So that's my story with the Eliasberg 1913

Steve

Good story! :)

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

From these 3 I would chose the 1804 Dollar as I like the larger pieces.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

But I'd rather have a 1794 Dollar to be honest.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:

But I'd rather have a 1794 Dollar to be honest.

Bookends! :)

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prefer early 66/67 type:
    Chain cent
    1792 1/2 disme
    1796 25c
    1796 50c
    1794 $1

No particular order.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not fantasy, but this is what I would like to own:

1) 1873 cc No arrows quarter
    2) 1799 Large cent MS(pogue)
    3) 1794 Dollar in MS

fantasy

1) 1913 Liberty Nickel
    2) 1894-s Barber Dime
    3) ?

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

None.
    All three are too valuable to enjoy. They "live" locked in some dark vault. The lucky examples are placed on loan to a museum, but they never experience the direct, tactile pleasure of human contact..... :)

• Options

LOL. As I posted above. If I owned one of the circulated 1804 dollars, I'd hold and admire it every so often

as was obviously done before the 1980's!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file