Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Anyone up for some Roosie Talk? - Thread #5

Comments

• onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭

I didn't sell it to Monster. The 57P was in my set that I sold to John. The Stellar set that is for sale is Johns dup silver set. He had a set that he was working on when he bought my set. Hopefully we will see his creation published on the registry soon.

Maybe John can chime in to verify.

Check out all the new Roosie sets. Someones been busy

• KhaymanKhayman Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

Just finished publishing my 46'-date sets. Completed the silvers just this week in the nick of time (OK, really bad pun but couldn't resist) though still need some upgrades. Can't beat Hansen on some of them, but that's OK - the ride is the fun part. There are also still a half dozen more sets I'm working on (mostly proof varieties) and will publish those when I get a little closer.

As an aside everyone on this board has been super welcoming of me over the last couple months and it's really appreciated. A great group all around, and can't wait to meet some of you at FUN next January.

And finally, I couldn't have made it even close to this far without Nick's unbelievable sets and his guidance. All of us Roosie collectors benefit from your knowledge & friendship.

John, Thankyou for the kind words. Got to give the credit to you. you have done what no other Roosie collector has been able to do and that's come within 2 coins of completing a 46 - date FB set. I believe I will see the day when you complete the first FB complete 46 - date Roosie set and it will be unbeatable. I also believe you will build the first hall of fame Roosie set. I'm calling you King of the hill from here on out.

Onlyroosies

• rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

New from Greattoning for my proof set. A 1950, tough date with color.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

I’m on my way to the hospital. Please find more beautiful coins for me while i’m gone

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2018 12:09AM

So this is the latest:

The Halcyon Collection managed to nab the lone 1965 MS68FB (1/0) dime from the 1965 #1 mint set holder. Would love to hear how that deal went down.

The 2nd 2008-D MS68FB hasn't sold yet on eBay, so I've got another month before I take possession if it doesn't sell...Yes/No/Maybe!?!?!?

PCGS finally fixed the pop report from 2014-Date after I called them and asked them to please do so. Thanks PCGS, it looks better.

A 2018-P PCGS MS68FB (1/0) was recently made...anyone want to claim it?

A 2nd 1946-S/S PCGS FS-501 MS67+FB was upgraded as the pops haven't changed. Wonder if this was the dime Nick owned? Any word on this dime???

Any other news I haven't heard about or figured out yet??? Let us Roosie guys know!!!

Later, Paul.

Paul, the S/S was made a couple months prior to the New Orleans Members Only Show. Its not newly made.

@ilikemonsters said:
    Paul, the S/S was made a couple months prior to the New Orleans Members Only Show. Its not newly made.

Thanks for the update as I popped the first one. I don't check pops all the time and just noticed it this week.

Later, Paul.

@Stooge said:
    So this is the latest:

The Halcyon Collection managed to nab the lone 1965 MS68FB (1/0) dime from the 1965 #1 mint set holder. Would love to hear how that deal went down.

The 2nd 2008-D MS68FB hasn't sold yet on eBay, so I've got another month before I take possession if it doesn't sell...Yes/No/Maybe!?!?!?

PCGS finally fixed the pop report from 2014-Date after I called them and asked them to please do so. Thanks PCGS, it looks better.

A 2nd 1946-S/S PCGS FS-501 MS67+FB was upgraded as the pops haven't changed. Wonder if this was the dime Nick owned? Any word on this dime???

Any other news I haven't heard about or figured out yet??? Let us Roosie guys know!!!

Yes, John now has all 3 business strike dimes from 1965 - 1967 in MS68FB. Wow! what a set. So that locks up the front and the rear is locked up with the 07P SF70FB, 15P 69FB and 17P 69FB. His set is the true definition of "Unbeatable"

I say Yes Its a good chance you will end up with the 08D 68FB.

Thanks for the fix, It was difficult to follow before.

Not me on the 18P 68FB. Still way to early to be looking at adding the 18's.

I looked at the tru view of the 46S FS-501 MS67+FB and I don't think that's my old dime.

Lets see if John chimes in and can add any more light about his set and future outlook for his set....
    Nick

• TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are now 7 68FB's for 2018-P. (Not mine.)

None for 2018-D

@Tetromibi said:
    There are now 7 68FB's for 2018-P. (Not mine.)

None for 2018-D

They should be about $60 each on eBay then. I would imagine another 9FB will be coming...

Later, Paul.

The pop (2/0) 1965 Roosie Business strike is on eBay for you deep pocket guys for $4K OBO.

Later, Paul.

@onlyroosies said:

@Stooge said:
    So this is the latest:

Yes, John now has all 3 business strike dimes from 1965 - 1967 in MS68FB. Wow! what a set. So that locks up the front and the rear is locked up with the 07P SF70FB, 15P 69FB and 17P 69FB. His set is the true definition of "Unbeatable"

I say Yes Its a good chance you will end up with the 08D 68FB.

Thanks for the fix, It was difficult to follow before.

Not me on the 18P 68FB. Still way to early to be looking at adding the 18's.

I looked at the tru view of the 46S FS-501 MS67+FB and I don't think that's my old dime.

Lets see if John chimes in and can add any more light about his set and future outlook for his set....
    Nick

@AllCoinsRule said:
    Looks like it was the ngc ms69fb Heritage auctioned. I had someone look at for me and decided against bidding. I'm sure John's is nicer.

Re. 1965 68FB, they're both nice coins - I'd say equivalent. Just bought a 1/0 last week and now it's a 2/0 - they're you go. :s

@Khayman said:
    Re. 1965 68FB, they're both nice coins - I'd say equivalent. Just bought a 1/0 last week and now it's a 2/0 - they're you go. :s

Which coin?

@AllCoinsRule said:
    In April or May of 2013 I bought the newly graded pop 3/0 58-p giving me all 4 of the lowest pop silver dimes in 67fb, at that time

58-p 3/0
    61-p 4/0 (or maybe it was 3/1 by then)
    63-p 3/0
    63-d 3/0

Within 24 hours of getting the 58-p in the mail a 58-p and 63-p in 67+fb were graded and within a few weeks the pops looked more like 6/1, 6/1, 4/2, 11/0 respectively.

@ilikemonsters said:

@Khayman said:

Which coin?

If you look in the Heritage archives there's two 1965 dimes, a pcgs ms68fb and an ngc ms69fb. The ngc one was crossed down to pcgs ms68fb and is now on ebay.

I remember it well, The biggest shocker to me was the sky rocketing pop for the 63D 67FB. once a $3000 coin now a $300 coin.

The lone PCGS 1949 P MS68 FB will be auctioned in Stacks Bowers' Rarities Night on August 15, 2018 in Philadelphia. No doubt, D.L. will go for this one, as he needs it. But, so does Mr. Khayman, so this will be an interesting lot to watch.

Does anybody besides me see the irony in the PCGS Price Guide increasing (by $2,500) just months before this coin is going up for auction by one of the biggest coin auction houses?

Not even a month ago, I sold the lone NGC MS68 FT 1949 Roosevelt Dimes. The NGC example had far sharper bands than the lone PCGS example, and I know that the company which I sold the coin to, is trying to cross it for DeLoy's needs.

Grab your popcorn!

@ilikemonsters said:
    The lone PCGS 1949 P MS68 FB will be auctioned in Stacks Bowers' Rarities Night on August 15, 2018 in Philadelphia. No doubt, D.L. will go for this one, as he needs it. But, so does Mr. Khayman, so this will be an interesting lot to watch.

Does anybody besides me see the irony in the PCGS Price Guide increasing (by $2,500) just months before this coin is going up for auction by one of the biggest coin auction houses?

Not even a month ago, I sold the lone NGC MS68 FT 1949 Roosevelt Dimes. The NGC example had far sharper bands than the lone PCGS example, and I know that the company which I sold the coin to, is trying to cross it for DeLoy's needs.

Grab your popcorn!

It's funny - I was just talking with Mitch last week (before I knew about the '49F 68FB auction) and Hansen came up in the conversation, after which he offered some sage advice: "Never bid against a billionaire!". I hope he doesn't mind me saying but he has a great story of unknowingly going up against Bob Simpson in an auction years ago.

So with that in mind. . . I'm not sure how much popcorn we'll need for that 49P 68FB. If Hansen knows about the auction he'll get the coin; I have no chance. If so he'll probably drop a $20-30k proxy bid and be done with it. If the NGC cross goes through and Hansen buys it pre-Stacks then I might have a shot. At that point some popcorn might be warranted!

-John

• labloverlablover Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2018 6:35PM

It's funny - I was just talking with Mitch last week (before I knew about the '49F 68FB auction) and Hansen came up in the conversation, after which he offered some sage advice: "Never bid against a billionaire!". I hope he doesn't mind me saying but he has a great story of unknowingly going up against Bob Simpson in an auction years ago.

So with that in mind. . . I'm not sure how much popcorn we'll need for that 49P 68FB. If Hansen knows about the auction he'll get the coin; I have no chance. If so he'll probably drop a $20-30k proxy bid and be done with it. If the NGC cross goes through and Hansen buys it pre-Stacks then I might have a shot. At that point some popcorn might be warranted!

-John

You can't out bid money, if it's something they want. Just find what you like and be satisfied...silly chasing things one can't afford. Heck, it's just a coin for heavens sake. Here today, gone tomorrow and you can't take them with you at the end.

Just remember: If you're not the lead dog, the view is always the same. :o

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/WCM/CoinView.aspx?PeopleSetCoinID=5341

I don’t often mess with people, but this is the finest 49 in existence. Graded a long long time ago and I have not chosen to cross it.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."

@Khayman said:

@ilikemonsters said:

Grab your popcorn!

-John

Why not bid against a billionaire?! I've done it. Did I win? No. Did he win? No!

I highly doubt that DeLoy will bid $20K. That would be reckless on his part. One of my good coin friends is best friends with DeLoy, they hang out often with each other. He has told me that D.L. could care less about Roosevelt Dimes. If anything, I would expect him to be slightly conservative on the 49P. He did not chase the 1964 D PCGS MS68 FB aggressively, and seems to be doing fine without it. I'm sure he will be fine having the same attitude regarding this one.

I still can't believe after all these yrs, not a single MS68+FB or 9FB 1996-W hasn't been made. You would think by now at least 1 or possibly 2 would've popped by now.

Later, Paul.

@lablover said:

-John

You can't out bid money, if it's something they want. Just find what you like and be satisfied...silly chasing things one can't afford. Heck, it's just a coin for heavens sake. Here today, gone tomorrow and you can't take them with you at the end.

@lablover - Thanks for that great life advice - lol

@rainbowroosie - What a beautiful coin! I'm sure it holds a special place in your collection. If you are ever interested in crossing it definitely let me know.

edited July 23, 2018 11:34AM

@ilikemonsters said:

This was not the lone NGC 49P 68FB. Billy owns the best 49P there is. NGC 68*FT. The one you sold is now listed for sale on collectors corner.

@lablover said:

The way I see it John is the lead dog in the series. John has an unbeatable 46 - date set. This is the main set that PC recognizes. The 46 - 64 silver set is a sub set. DL will always be in Johns rear view mirror.

@ilikemonsters said:

The PC 49P 68FB should hammer today for less than it did when it last sold at Heritage. I would expect a reserve on the coin or a protected bid. If either is the case I predict one of 2 outcomes. 1) DL will buy it just above reserve or 2) the coin will go unsold. Like I said in a previous post. There was no reason for PC to raise the price guide for the coin other than knowing it would be coming to market.

Just my few cents worth
    Onlyroosies

So I placed a max bid of $3500 on the 49P 68FB and it said reserve not met. I’m out.

@onlyroosies said:
    So I placed a max bid of $3500 on the 49P 68FB and it said reserve not met. I’m out.

That lead dog thingy again...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Switching gears, and for those of you who might not know - the same Stacks auction on Aug 15th will feature the top graded (PR66 1/0) Eliasberg 1913 Liberty nickel. Estimates $2.0mn+. The webcast live auction format should prove entertaining - now THAT's popcorn time.

@Khayman said:
    Switching gears, and for those of you who might not know - the same Stacks auction on Aug 15th will feature the top graded (PR66 1/0) Eliasberg 1913 Liberty nickel. Estimates $2.0mn+. The webcast live auction format should prove entertaining - now THAT's popcorn time.

If ur looking for popcorn time, follow the "Hansen Watch" thread on the other coin forum here. Odds are the coin will sell to Del Loy Hansen. He needs one for his complete set.

Later, Paul.

@Khayman said:

You do know this is a ROOSIE Thread, right? ;);)

edited July 24, 2018 3:58PM

Who cares about a damn 1913 lib nickel...WE WANT ROOSIES! Real coins!!

;)

edited July 24, 2018 5:02PM

@rainbowroosie said:
    Who cares about a damn 1913 lib nickel...WE WANT ROOSIES! Real coins!!

;)

Yep, if you don't stick with the Roosies...No Wine For You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@rainbowroosie said:
    This does not fit in the string but I just want to show it off....perfectly toned!

These sure do look like Roosies! LOL...NOT!

Later, Paul.

Stooge,
    That IS Roosie appropriate. It’s how Nick tones all his yucky brilliant dimes. >:)

Obviously I’m only fooling. o:)

@Stooge said:
    I still can't believe after all these yrs, not a single MS68+FB or 9FB 1996-W hasn't been made. You would think by now at least 1 or possibly 2 would've popped by now.

I bet if you buy 20 and send them all back for reconsideration you would eventually get one to up-grade

Ilikemonsters said:

One of my good coin friends is best friends with DeLoy, they hang out often with each other. He has told me that D.L. could care less about Roosevelt Dimes. If anything, I would expect him to be slightly conservative on the 49P. He did not chase the 1964 D PCGS MS68 FB aggressively, and seems to be doing fine without it. I'm sure he will be fine having the same attitude regarding this one.

I don't know about that. DL just added 8 new Roosies to his 46 - date set. 7 of these were up-grades.

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2018 11:31AM

I don't know about that. DL just added 8 new Roosies to his 46 - date set. 7 of these were up-grades.

Look at the (2) - (3) Super low pop dimes Justin sold this morning.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

@wondercoin said:

Wondercoin

DL Roosies added:
    1965 68FB 2/0
    1969D 67FB 5/0
    1986P 67FB 4/0
    2001D 69FB 4/0
    2010D 68FB 18/0
    2011P 68FB 10/1
    2011D 68FB 5/1
    2014D 68FB 11/0

Mitch are you talking about any of the above. These are the ones DL just added to his set or will
    a few others be added. Based on this DL seems very interested in Roosies, Especially (Lately) Moderns.
    I still for the life of me don't know why DL only bought the silver side of my set and not the whole
    package. He's clearly completing the modern side too.

Onlyroosies

And I, for the life of me, am thankful he DIDN'T buy the whole thing!!! ;)

-John

@onlyroosies said:
    Ilikemonsters said:

One of my good coin friends is best friends with DeLoy, they hang out often with each other. He has told me that D.L. could care less about Roosevelt Dimes. If anything, I would expect him to be slightly conservative on the 49P. He did not chase the 1964 D PCGS MS68 FB aggressively, and seems to be doing fine without it. I'm sure he will be fine having the same attitude regarding this one.

So what? You think DL just sits in his safe looking at white clad dimes and picks out one by one to be sent back in? He's not the one who picks out every single coin to be sent back for upgrades. He is also not the one looking at the market after sleepless nights for clad dimes, he has agents for that....

when I say 7 were up-grades I didn't mean he sent them in for up-grade. I meant that he purchased 7 coins
    that replaced 7 lower graded coins.

@onlyroosies said:
    when I say 7 were up-grades I didn't mean he sent them in for up-grade. I meant that he purchased 7 coins
    that replaced 7 lower graded coins.

I understand. But he doesn't need to care about the series to give one of his agents lunch money to upgrade his set a little. I hope he does care about the series since he has what, $300K(?) into his set give or take a few bucks, but I don't think he cares.

@onlyroosies said:

@wondercoin said:

Wondercoin

DL Roosies added:
    1965 68FB 2/0
    1969D 67FB 5/0
    1986P 67FB 4/0
    2001D 69FB 4/0
    2010D 68FB 18/0
    2011P 68FB 10/1
    2011D 68FB 5/1
    2014D 68FB 11/0

Mitch are you talking about any of the above. These are the ones DL just added to his set or will
    a few others be added. Based on this DL seems very interested in Roosies, Especially (Lately) Moderns.
    I still for the life of me don't know why DL only bought the silver side of my set and not the whole
    package. He's clearly completing the modern side too.

Onlyroosies

Nick, if you follow the Hansen Watch thread it has been made quite clear that Hansen doesn't give a crap about Roosies other than filling the complete U.S. Coin set. He has a team of searchers looking for coins that he needs for filling holes and upgrades. It was said almost verbatim in the thread by JB at DLRC's. If you have a Roosie he needs, make him an offer and he will probably bite.

As far as "Why he didn't buy your clad set" is a total head scratcher as he has bought countless complete sets in all denominations.

Later, Paul.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nick: Give me a call when you have 15 free minutes.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

An unnamed but very generous board member just sent me this to me for free. A wonderful gesture. I really like the coin, but I’m thinking of continuing the Roosie gifting. I’ll probably pass this to a very young numismatist walking the floor at FUN in January. While I greatly appreciate this gift, I think it’s better to make a young person happy than keep it for myself. Think about doing the same at the next show. Again, to this board member, very cool gesture. I like the way you roll.

@rainbowroosie said:
    An unnamed but very generous board member just sent me this to me for free. A wonderful gesture. I really like the coin, but I’m thinking of continuing the Roosie gifting. I’ll probably pass this to a very young numismatist walking the floor at FUN in January. While I greatly appreciate this gift, I think it’s better to make a young person happy than keep it for myself. Think about doing the same at the next show. Again, to this board member, very cool gesture. I like the way you roll.

I was bidding, eBay pictures looked nice. The prettiest MS64 I have ever seen. I know the man who found these interesting neon 1953-D Dimes. They all came from rolls. I bought a few when he just got them slabbed last year. He got one MS67+FB I believe. I saw that a fellow forum member was selling an MS65FB for $80 or something. Which means selling the MS65FB I had for $25 was a bad choice :#

I like your idea of gifting the coin forward. For the sake of the younger generation lacking a presence in the coin collecting world, I too will donate a coin to a very young numismatist at FUN in January. I would love to see other people also gift their coins forward to young young numismatists.