Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Looking for first non-modern set to collect

I have been collecting modern proof and mint sets for about 8 years now. I have finished off the sets that I wanted to and now I'm slowly upgrading some. But now I am looking to collect something a little different. Can anyone recommend a small or cheapish set to collect. I'm thinking less then $100 a coin. I just don't know where to start.

Comments

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d recommend buffalo nickels. There are only two coins that would probably cost more than $100 (1913-D and S, Type 2)

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2018 6:28AM

Once you make the commitment, you'll be in trouble. Any of the Barber series in VG-F-VF can be fun. Same goes for Mercury Dimes, Buffalo Nickels, Walking Liberty Halves, Washington Quarters, Lincoln Cents, Indian Cents, Large Cents, Half Cents, Morgan Dollars, Peace Dollars - the most important thing is to pick a grade range that is pleasing to you and in your price range.

Just pick one and then focus on learning about the series. Don't be in a big rush if you are looking for a coin that "fits" your own specific aims. When you make it a long term "quest" for the right coins, it's not as easy but it's more fun when you come across the one that fits.

Coin collecting doesn't have to be prohibitively expensive. The problem is that when you gain an appreciation of a series, it's hard to throttle back when you start to want better and better coins. It doesn't have to be that way - it can just be fun. I still put circulated coins into blue Whitman folders for fun.

Whenever I start to get serious about a series, that's when I take a close look at pricing and grade ranges.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good advice from @jmski52 .

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty walking halves is the older set i completed with mininal challenge. Most circulated pieces price at just at or slightly above melt. 1921 d might run you about $150 for a low grade. 1921 and 1938 D will be in the 30 - 100$ range for a circulated grade. If you're only into High grades though these will be very expensive. I would then recommend franklin halves.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2018 7:40AM

Most of the offerings from the US Mint are boring. Expand your horizon....you might consider the UK's Queens Beasts bullion 2 oz coins. Artistically pleasing, with a growing secondary market. So far the first 5 out of 10 ( 2 per year) have been issued, with the earlier ones no longer in production.

The below is the proof 1 oz collectors version of the Unicorn (second released coin)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WesleyT ...Welcome aboard..... I think moving on to collecting a series is a good idea...Proof and mint sets are nice, but will likely only depreciate in value. You could use them to fill albums... A good set to start with could be Franklin Halves.... and collect in a grade that you feel comfortable with paying for...Buffalo nickels are also a nice series....Keep us posted on your decision and I am sure many will help you with advice when you are considering certain coins... Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2018 9:45AM

How about a Type Set? You could start with a 20th Century Type Set or dive into the popular 7070. There are numerous Type Sets to choose from at this PCGS link;

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/type-sets/9

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Howdy and welcome.

Given the fact that you have spent eight years working on mint sets and proof sets, you may be more accustomed or might strongly prefer higher grade coins for your set rather than lower grade coins for your set. Of course, this might not be true, but there appears to be a decent possibility that it will be true. With this, and you preference for a more readily finished set at $100 per coin or less, I can suggest a few possible categories.

First, you may be able to complete the Jefferson nickel, Roosevelt dime and Franklin half dollar series in high grade with all mint state for the nickels and dimes and perhaps so for the half dollars. Alternatively, many folks like the "short sets" of late date Walking Liberty half dollars, Mercury dimes or Buffalo nickels. These short sets are, by definition, shorter than the decades long traditional sets, but they allow one to buy mint state coins throughout, they aren't incredibly difficult, they can be displayed in Capital Plastics type holders and they fall within the cost parameters you described. Lastly, and a bit differently, you might want to slowly purchases one or two older coins in lower grade to see if low grade coins from really long, tough sets intrigue you.

Whatever you do, remember that the coins will always be there so there is no rush. Good luck!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

@david3142 said:
    I’d recommend buffalo nickels. There are only two coins that would probably cost more than $100 (1913-D and S, Type 2)

Good choice. A VG+/ F set will be challenging and rewarding. I'd get the common dates in VF.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Silver Roosevelt Dimes.
    toned War Nickel Set.
    20th Century Type Set.

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unc roosevelt dimes

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

Franklin Halves

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jefferson's can be pulled from circulation, mostly if you aren't too picky.

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can always do date sets only for a denomination you like.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right now would be a great time to collect rattlers. The market is stunningly flooded with Morgan dollars and Walkers for cheap, has been, and will probably continue to be. 50 to 100 dollar range sometimes there's cheaper ones but rightfully so. Not too expensive and cheap enough to collect a number of them.

Roosevelts are a buyers market now, especially proofs. The silver type set only spans from 1946 to 1964, so you won't be entering a giant daunting task.

They're inexpensive enough to buy slabs at the same price as a BU roll item and crack them out for an album.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2018 3:46PM

I guess I'm confused. Aren't Jefferson nickels, Roosevelt dimes, Franklins, etc. considered modern? I thought everything after 1932 or so was modern. Enlighten me. The way I read Wesley's post, I would suggest Liberty nickels in lower grades. What am I missing?

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect DATE sets of some of the classic coins-Buffalo 5c, Mercury 10c, and high color MS date sets of Washington 25c and Franklin 50c. The Buffs and Mercs in the low Mint state ranges can be had for a reasonable amount of $$. I also like the Sacagewea dollars, either as a date-Mint set or as proofs or both.

BTW-welcome! This is a wonderful hobby!

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

1946-1964 silver Roosevelt dimes. You can collect these as they are abundant in quantity, and really no super expensive keys which means you can complete the set.
    You can start with MS66/MS67 grades which will set you back no more than $50 or less for each coin. Total of 48.
    Collect by color, blast white, or collect by FB's.
    The set is very popular too.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2018 4:51PM

I consider 1965 - Date the Modern Era. Also coins that are still in production so Lincoln Memorials, Jeffersons, Roosevelts, Washingtons , Kennedys, Presidential, SBA and SAC Dollars.

I consider the silver coins as classic of 1964 and back,,,,,, not the recent silver issues.

Everyone has their own definition.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

I’ll probably get flamed for suggesting this, but I’m actually serious, you might look at silver classic commems. With modern proof sets, you’re already used to high grade ‘flashy’ coins and all the designs are so different it seems it would keep your interest up...will it be a winning investment, probably not, but I’m amazed at how much coin you can get for $100 in classic commems if you’re not looking for monster color. Just something else to consider.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2018 5:21PM

@GRANDAM said:
    I consider 1965 - Date the Modern Era. Also coins that are still in production so Lincoln Memorials, Jeffersons, Roosevelts, Washingtons , Kennedys, Presidential, SBA and SAC Dollars.

I consider the silver coins as classic of 1964 and back,,,,,, not the recent silver issues.

Everyone has their own definition.

I agree with you. 1932-64 is a long time ago. Problem is most of us around here are so old we don't know it. It all seems like yesterday. Because it was to us.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would recommend not collecting any series. Collect by type. Especially with a limited budget, you can get a very nice representative of virtually all the series without having to debate whether the 1916-D Merc Dime in Fair 2 is worth buying. Especially for series like Mercs, Buffs, Walkers, and Barber coinage, you can get gorgeous type examples for very little money.

Now, there is psychology at play here. Some collectors can simply not lack holes to fill and they need that sense of the hunt. But in terms of putting together a pleasing collection that has variety and no ugly coins - type collecting is the way to go.

In my ever humble opinion.

• Options

@msch1man said:
    I’ll probably get flamed for suggesting this, but I’m actually serious, you might look at silver classic commems. With modern proof sets, you’re already used to high grade ‘flashy’ coins and all the designs are so different it seems it would keep your interest up...will it be a winning investment, probably not, but I’m amazed at how much coin you can get for $100 in classic commems if you’re not looking for monster color. Just something else to consider.

This is a solid idea. Any one who flames you is simply a curmudgeon not worth consideration.

• Options

@ricko said:
    @WesleyT ...Welcome aboard..... I think moving on to collecting a series is a good idea...Proof and mint sets are nice, but will likely only depreciate in value. You could use them to fill albums... A good set to start with could be Franklin Halves.... and collect in a grade that you feel comfortable with paying for...Buffalo nickels are also a nice series....Keep us posted on your decision and I am sure many will help you with advice when you are considering certain coins... Good luck, Cheers, RickO

I don't think he meant actual U.S. Mint product sets. I think he was referring to series of business strike modern coins and proof modern coins.

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    I guess I'm confused. Aren't Jefferson nickels, Roosevelt dimes, Franklins, etc. considered modern? I thought everything after 1932 or so was modern. Enlighten me. The way I read Wesley's post, I would suggest Liberty nickels in lower grades. What am I missing?

I think this was true when WE were young. LOL. Now, I think 1965 is more the cutoff for modern.

You would be surprised how many young collectors think ASE when someone says "silver dollar". Breaks our old hearts, doesn't it?

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had a kid at a bank in MN trying to deposit a few ASE's.

• Options

I appreciate all the responses. After a lot of debate and some back and forth, I finally decided. I will bridge my current collection with dimes. I will finish up the modern Roosevelt Proofs and then move into Mercury Dimes and see where that takes me. I am also looking at Buffalos but I don't want to get spread too thin.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions and sorry it took so long to get back to you all.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

EF 2-cent or 3-cent CuNi are fun especially due to all the interesting die cracks.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2018 11:26AM

Mint State (MS) Walking Liberty short set (1941 - 1947) graded by PCGS or NGC.

Or, the always-popular-and-easy-to-sell Morgan dollar.

Whatever you decide, RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY!

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2019 4:11AM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file