Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

July 2018 Pickups

Started July off great at the flea market today.

Comments

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2018 7:40PM

I have been waiting for a nicely centered PSA 9 1989 Bowman Tiffany... Griffey Rookie of course. Finally found one and snapped it up today. Sorry for the poor seller pics. I will surely correct those when the card is in hand.

Happy 4th of July everyone!

Edit 7-5-18: Card is in-hand, new scans posted.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great well centered pickup Nic.

Congratulations buddy.

Mike
  • Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Continuing with the Roy collection, this first one I bought in June and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival in July. Another one I've been chasing for a long time, and the 15% coupon, coupled with my best offer, made it worth it.

Also added this Roy earlier today

And a card I've always had an eye on, of one of my favorite modern Philly sports heroes, that I don't often see pop up: Cole Hamels 2002 Bowman Chrome Draft Xfractor

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:
    I have been waiting for a nicely centered PSA 9 1989 Bowman Tiffany... Griffey Rookie of course. Finally found one and snapped it up today. Sorry for the poor seller pics. I will surely correct those when the card is in hand.

That's my favorite Griffey RC. Just think, Griffey's only the second greatest lefty to come out of Donora, PA.

Andy

• Options

@ahopkins said:

@NGS428 said:

That's my favorite Griffey RC. Just think, Griffey's only the second greatest lefty to come out of Donora, PA.

Yeah, Stan the Man wasn’t too bad himself. :)

• Options
    ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few more for my 52 set. I am now at 72.72% in 50th spot with a GPA of 7 on the nose, with a 111 more needed on the Basic Set and 62.45% on the Master at #33 with a GPA of 6.98 and 184 needed.

• Options
    rjcoy06rjcoy06 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭

• Options

Making my 1st post on the forum and it’s been a blast reading through many of the posts the past few days. Here is a card I just picked up today. I became interested in it after reading about the story of the 2 versions of this card.

I collect Gary Sheffield, Billy Beane, Scott Hatteberg cards and memorabilia.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kid4hof03 said:
    Just got these from the mail

Nice Bullet Bob

• Options

Geez Stoney!

Those are some really sweet cards.

My favorite is the Zernial - that's just about the best centered copies I've ever seen.

Would really like to find one like that!

Congratulations on some serious cards buddy.

Mike
  • Options

Damn nice Dr J - Abe.

Looks better than an 8 IMO.

Not a FB guy - but I remember Hayes and when he came up - very nice card also.

Mike
  • Options
    ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    Geez Stoney!

Those are some really sweet cards.

My favorite is the Zernial - that's just about the best centered copies I've ever seen.

Would really like to find one like that!

Congratulations on some serious cards buddy.

Thanks Mike. I've been trying to stay focused on finding nice centered cards for the set and not rush a purchase to just check a box on the checklist.

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am thinking of getting this graded.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options

@yoda99 said:
    I treated myself to an early Christmas present. I have some nice ebay bucks coming but after that's gone, I'll have to lay low for a while.

Geez Micky - that's an incredibly nice RC - centering is great!

Congratulations. I know what you mean about "laying low" - when I picked up a T3 Lajoie card - after BP and tax? Wiped me out!

Oh well. We can always watch others.

Mike
  • Options

Black borders here we come. Pop 3 on this final year card. It at least completes my 2010 basic set.

• Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

RIP Toys R Us. Thanks for the memories.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Options

@Huskies11 said:
    RIP Toys R Us. Thanks for the memories.

Love the Griffey. I see he is a focus for both of us!

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

A new addition - one of the shiny variety ;)

• Options

A new addition - one of the shiny variety

Ya gotta love the shiny stuff Keith.

Nice pickup.

Mike
  • Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

One of the better 2s I've seen. Print mark on the back of the card killed it.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Options

I love this card for many reasons. First, it is my first card from one of those mega cool, iconic sets: 1933 Goudey. Second, it is instantly a part of my N.Y. Yankee Retired Numbers Rookie Set and the card carries a pretty decent weight (5.0). Lastly, it fits the overriding theme of Yankees and vintage and it's the gruff and spectacular Bill Dickey.

Wow that covers a lot of territory Tim - congratulations on your pickup.

I remember asking a dealer for an example of a 33G - but was disappointed when it didn't have the red rectangle with Big League Chew on it.

Mike
  • Options

One of the better 2s I've seen. Print mark on the back of the card killed it.

Killer 2! I can live with the back with a front like that (let me be a "real" collector - great "obverse!")

Mike
  • Options

@justrun7 said:
    Started July off great at the flea market today.

Don't know how I missed commenting here.

That's quite a haul from the "market"

The Trout's a beauty.

Nice pickups.

Mike
  • Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2018 7:46AM

This is a great thread! I love to see the pickups.
    I purchased a box and 11 1962 Topps Baseball stamp albums, in pretty good shape no stickers. I also found a complete set of Major League Helmet cards? from 1971 or before, has a Washington Senators helmet. Cannot find any information on them. They are very nice! One of my new favorites!

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

I love this card for many reasons. First, it is my first card from one of those mega cool, iconic sets: 1933 Goudey. Second, it is instantly a part of my N.Y. Yankee Retired Numbers Rookie Set and the card carries a pretty decent weight (5.0). Lastly, it fits the overriding theme of Yankees and vintage and it's the gruff and spectacular Bill Dickey.

Wow that covers a lot of territory Tim - congratulations on your pickup.

I remember asking a dealer for an example of a 33G - but was disappointed when it didn't have the red rectangle with Big League Chew on it.

Mike if they ever hold a vote for 'nicest guy on CU', you have my vote!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2018 1:44PM

test

• Options

Very kind of you, Tim

Mike
  • Options

Wow - these are sweet. Stuff like this doesn't come up all that often - especially with the box!

Anyone who collects the stamps - I'm sure - would like a pristine copy of the book to complement their collection.

Very nice pickup Phil.

The helmets? Clueless but cool buddy.

Mike
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up these 1958 All Star cards over the last couple weeks. I have decided to do the subset. The Stand-up Ron Hunt was the last card I need for my set.
    James

• Options

@Stone193 said:

Wow - these are sweet. Stuff like this doesn't come up all that often - especially with the box!

Anyone who collects the stamps - I'm sure - would like a pristine copy of the book to complement their collection.

Very nice pickup Phil.

The helmets? Clueless but cool buddy.

Thank you Mike!

• Options

@jfkheat said:
    I picked up these 1958 All Star cards over the last couple weeks. I have decided to do the subset. The Stand-up Ron Hunt was the last card I need for my set.
    James

>
    Very nice!
    Ron Hunt the master of getting hit by a pitch.

• Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

@justrun7 - WOW! Amazing pickups. Love the look of that haul.

Here's some recent eBay cheapies from the past few days:

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like those Aaron Nolanado cards. Sorry, Nolan Aaron...... Nolan Arenado.......... Nolo Aroyyo.

Nice Hank Aaron cards.

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

Really nice '52's @ssdawg77 . Con Dempsey one of the hardest to find centered. Love the High numbers too. Doug

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2018 9:47PM

A few eBay cheapies picked up earlier, a couple for my Roy collection and a Werth card I sold years ago and have looking to add back to the collection:

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mphilking said:
    I also found a complete set of Major League Helmet cards? from 1971 or before, has a Washington Senators helmet. Cannot find any information on them. They are very nice! One of my new favorites!

The sale sheet would indicate 1972, since the set was updated to include a Texas Rangers helmet in place of the Senators helmet.

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

@jfkheat said:
    The Stand-up Ron Hunt was the last card I need for my set.
    James

Congrats on completing the stand-up set, it has been fun watching progress here.
    Steve

• Options

@daltex said:

@Mphilking said:
    I also found a complete set of Major League Helmet cards? from 1971 or before, has a Washington Senators helmet. Cannot find any information on them. They are very nice! One of my new favorites!

The sale sheet would indicate 1972, since the set was updated to include a Texas Rangers helmet in place of the Senators helmet.

Thanks!

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

I love reading these threads each month, just tremendous stuff and diversity in collecting pursuits. I've been lax in posting items for a while due to other priorities (work) and just got some of the items scanned this morning.

Big thanks to Abe for selling me the last item I needed for my Bob Lilly master set - it was in a BVG 7 holder, I guess PSA is tougher grading these, but it's still one of only 2 ever graded by PSA (both of them PSA 2's).

It also has fellow Hall of Fame inductee Lenny Moore featured which is very cool as I live about 45 minutes from where he went to high school.

I was able to pick up the last item I needed to complete the Cliff Harris basic set in all PSA 10 (I believe the first to do so on the registry).

I think it was a borderline 10 personally, but I didn't want to pass up the chance to acquire the low pop item at a good price.

I picked up a nice Bob Hayes to complete my 1969 Dallas Cowboys team set:

And a 1966 Philadelphia gum low pop Dallas Cowboy for my team set:

Steve

• Options
    edited July 6, 2018 4:02PM

@Stone193 said:
    That's a great well centered pickup Nic.

Congratulations buddy.

Thanks Mike! I received the card yesterday and updated the scans in the 2nd post in this thread. LINK

I added it to the “1989 Set” linked in my digital album in my signature.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

FINALLY!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Just picked this up the other day to add to my player set:

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great additions to your sets Steve!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options

Some nice pickups John - are you a Stros/Bregman fan?

One of my best pulls last year - Topps Chrome 17/50 auto card.

Mike
  • Options

Good show James - starting another subset and completing one - you've been on fire for the past year buddy!

Mike
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yoda99 Can I just mail you my credit card and have you find cards for me? You have a meticulous eye and always post spectacular examples of whatever it is you're going after.

@schubert1970 Welcome to the board! I actually missed the story behind that card. Would you mind enlightening the ignorant? It's Jordan so it's immediately interesting.

Arthur