Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

July 2018 Pickups

Comments

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BunchOBull said:

and the late Gregg Olson

I'm fairly certain that Gregg Olson is still with us.

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:

@BunchOBull said:

and the late Gregg Olson

I'm fairly certain that Gregg Olson is still with us.

Lol, you're right, no clue what I was thinking.

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps he is a procrastinator.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

Haha, I really don't even know what I was thinking or why...

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once again I sound like a broken record. Those Herritage cards are beautiful!

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    justrun7justrun7 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:

@justrun7 said:
    Pickups from today. Off to PSA next week.

This is just a big picture of goodness. You mind running down what each one is? I'm a bit of a novice on the last-10 years stuff but would like to start picking some of it up.

Arthur

Thanks! I'll start with the big one, the Trout Gold Border. That is a gold border variation numbered out of 2011. Each year Topps Series 1, 2, and Update have gold bordered cards that will be numbered out of the same year they were made. The JD Martinez is also gold bordered and /2011 as well.

The Blackmon and Sale are Diamond Anniversary variations, which was only used in 2011.

The other JD Martinez is a Cognac Diamond Anniversary variations, which was also only used in 2011.

The Scherzer is a Gold Foil variation is a bit rarer than the base version.

Kershaw is a base card from and Mauer is an auto from Bowman Heritage.

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Used up the eBay bucks from last quarter on another Roy:

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

@justrun7 said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

@justrun7 said:
    Pickups from today. Off to PSA next week.

This is just a big picture of goodness. You mind running down what each one is? I'm a bit of a novice on the last-10 years stuff but would like to start picking some of it up.

Arthur

Thanks! I'll start with the big one, the Trout Gold Border. That is a gold border variation numbered out of 2011. Each year Topps Series 1, 2, and Update have gold bordered cards that will be numbered out of the same year they were made. The JD Martinez is also gold bordered and /2011 as well.

The Blackmon and Sale are Diamond Anniversary variations, which was only used in 2011.

The other JD Martinez is a Cognac Diamond Anniversary variations, which was also only used in 2011.

The Scherzer is a Gold Foil variation is a bit rarer than the base version.

Kershaw is a base card from and Mauer is an auto from Bowman Heritage.

Thanks!

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

Bought it for the centering and a slight upgrade. Well worth the $21 for it. Doug

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gonna try to crossover to a PSA 10. I just checked the corners with a loupe and a 60x magnifier, theres nothing wrong with them. no idea why this got a 9 for corners.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2018 5:40AM

@linuxabuser said:
    @dictoresno The top left corner doesn't look as sharp as necessary to get a PSA 10.

I noticed that too at first and was bummed. However, it’s part of the atomic pattern. Under loupe and 60x magnification, it’s fine.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Scheib piggs.

Here is another Heritage pickup

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finally pulled the trigger on 71 Munson in an 8.

Love the corners, centering and the back.....Will get over the smudge on top right and simply enjoy my hero and iconic card. Thanks for letting me share...

Steve

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

@balco758 said:

Love the corners, centering and the back.....Will get over the smudge on top right and simply enjoy my hero and iconic card. Thanks for letting me share...

Steve

Good decision. That is a great looking card. Congrats.

• Options
    kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

@balco758 said:

Steve

A beautiful 8!

"You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
  • Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those not on the FB group. Yes it is a 1/1 for now. Everyone who knows the sequence understands there is no Jordan in here. There should be a Sir Charles.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2018 5:37PM

Nice to see a good group of '52 Topps cards in this thread!
    Here is a 1966 Topps Venezuela card of Willie Stargell with a clean back.

Daniel
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

This card is for my NY Yankee Retired Number Rookie Card set. I feel like a bit more fuss could be made about him - he was integral to the success of the team almost immediately, he displayed grace and determination as the Yankee who broke the teams color barrier and the man could really play baseball. The grade is high for me but sort of a must with this set for a centered copy, since I am convinced that one or more of the guys cutting the cards had one arm, no eyes and a drinking problem...

1955 Bowman #68 Elston Howard

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2018 10:50AM

Here are a few from July. Also missed out on a bunch more (guess I need to up my bids!!). Don’t tell the wife.

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just added these.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

@Doublestriker said:
    Here’s my latest pick ups. Guess I went a little crazy with Lebron! Only cards I owns besides MJ. These are in no particular order and I also bought a huge MJ refractor (see picture) I have been looking for.

Enjoy!!

You are right this thread and forum always needs more basketball! And did you ever bring it. Incredible that the only two cards you have are of the greatest (arguably) two players of all time. Incredible dedication to your focus. Your collection is awesome and your photography skills may be equal to it. Great job. The Lebron "side" collection is terrific and I am envious of that 1997 Topps Chrome MJ Refractor. I am dying to add one of those to my collection.

Steve
  • Options

@LOTSOS said:
    Nice LeBrons.

Help a non basketball collector out. Is there a "The" RC for Lebron? For example for modern hockey it would be clearly UDs Young Guns line when you are talking non serial numbered cards. What is the hoops equivalent?

Kevin

Kevin,

In my opinion, "The" RC for Lebron is the Topps Chrome RC pictured above. I would bet that when HOF time comes calling that the Topps Chrome RC's will be the registry cards for players of his era. The Topps Chrome cards are also common enough and affordable enough in most cases for people to collect. Lebron's TC RC in PSA 10 is probably pushing around $1k but that is the exception. Most other players, even HOFers have very affordable Topps Chrome RC's. The Topps Chrome Refractor and Exquisite are sort of grail cards in that the majority of collectors would have a hard time affording them. Since Topps lost its license, the Panini Prizm has taken over for Topps Chrome. In Panini's case, since 2012, "the" RC to have is the Prizm "Silver Prizm" parallel (which would be analogous to the Topps Chrome Refractor).

Steve
  • Options

Here is my mail day for today. I will have more basketball to share later, because this thread always needs more basketball.

Fresh off his World Cup success.

A tough MJ parallel

Steve
  • Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

Realized I didn't have anything of this guy in my collection and had to rectify that immediately.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options

I hope this is worth something someday.

• Options

What the hell is going on? We need an option at the top of each page to be able to like every post with just one click. Apologies to anyone I missed. I assure you, if you posted on this page, I like it. I can't tell if you all have outstanding taste in cards or if I just have absolutely zero focus in my collecting and am completely susceptible to persuasion.

@NGS428 You're killing me with these Griffey cards. I was making great progress on my '90 Donruss project and now I haven't done squat on that in weeks. Been searching for 90s Griffey cards in my spare time. Your '89 Tiffany is a beauty.

Dustin's hoard of LeBron is so good that it can just get reposted every 15 posts and it still gets fresh oooohs and aaaaaahs.

@stwainfan I don't know you but you're posting really sharp looking raw cards. Not sure where you're finding them but the Griffey and Bonds look like they're going to be making return cameos in PSA 10 slabs.

The Heritage Real One Guy (that's your new name) just keeps slaying those. You're going to be the only person in the world with a complete set of Real One autos. Congrats in advance.

Tim, that Howard is fantastic. There's something about the dark wood of a '55 Bowman that when they're perfectly centered like that just create a superb frame for the player. I've always loved that set.

Two '52 Mays? TWO!? Okay, I get it, you found two great looking Mays and the prices were right so you wanted to keep one and flip one but you got them both so close together that they get posted in the same post!? Now you're just cheating.

An Atomic Refractor Jeter, '86 Fleer Bird pack, Venezuelan, Mbappe, Jordan parallel, and that throwback '92 Gold Winner card is something I've never seen before and absolutely love. I love living vicariously through all of your collections. Thanks for taking the time to post them.

Arthur

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland Thanks! My heart was pounding when I saw that Tiffany show up with a BIN at a great price. That is the fun of it and why we all do this! At least least part of the reason. :smile:

• Options

Reggie Cleveland thanks. I will get them graded at some point. I am part of the Mike O group submission. I have for cards sent in. I will post photos when they come in.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

stwainfan - will be interested to see how ya do with this card. Looks great!

Best of luck.

BTW, what's your first name?

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 said:

Best of luck.

Thanks. It's hard to find it in a gem mint condition. I am guessing a 8 or 9 grade. Do you think it's worth sending in?

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland

Thanks Arthur!

After Reggie Jackson and Thurman Munson, we start getting into cards that are tough to afford in any grade. But the shiny is looking good...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

I think Gehrig's cards (sans '25 Exhibit and the '33/'34 cards) are criminally undervalued right now.

Arthur

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

First ‘72s in awhile. The Pena is a very tough card and McNertney is very easy.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2018 8:40PM

@stwainfan said:

@Stone193 said:

Best of luck.

Thanks. It's hard to find it in a gem mint condition. I am guessing a 8 or 9 grade. Do you think it's worth sending in?

I sure do Jimmy.

Not sure about the corners from the scan but it's the cleanest surface I've seen in some time.

My son ripped a pack in 1993 and got this one - it went directly into a top loader - the surface is horrible (big scratch near foot is from the old scanner).

Mike
  • Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2018 7:46AM

A big upgrade for my 1968 Dallas Cowboys set - tough to find with good centering.

Steve

• Options

@Stone193 said:

@stwainfan said:

@Stone193 said:

Best of luck.

I sure do Jimmy.

Not sure about the corners from the scan but it's the cleanest surface I've seen in some time.

My son ripped a pack in 1993 and got this one - it went directly into a top loader - the surface is horrible (big scratch near foot is from the old scanner).

Thanks I will send it in at some point. The group I'm in Mike O. It has a $99 limit on cards. So I will have to send it in on my own or join a group with out the limit.

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CollectorAtWork said:
    Picked up the first card ("green") from the recent Heritage auction as I work on my color tint variations for this card.

This just made my night. Those would look so cool framed. Congrats!

Andy

Andy

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those Ruth cards are pretty sweet. Is it just the 5 or are there more?

• Options
    CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭

Thanks, everyone! Unfortunately, there are still a few more colors that I need to get (e.g., purple, red, brown, etc)

• Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:
    Here are a few from July. Also missed out on a bunch more (guess I need to up my bids!!). Don’t tell the wife.

That Bowman Tiffany is sweet! Love the Griffeys that you post every month. It's inspired me to delve more into his 90s issues. Currently working on getting every Ultra Gold Medallion parallel of his. About halfway there so far. Just finally completed my Griffey Rookie PSA 10 set with this Bowman base (along with a couple other ancillary pickups):

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Options
    momo1234momo1234 Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

Been looking for one of these for a while. Just got it last week.

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

Picked these up this weekend.

• Options
    justrun7justrun7 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

Just pulled this from a Wal-Mart repack box. Judge 2017 Series 1 RC Relic Auto /50!