Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Counterfeit 1912 Saint in a FAKE slab? *Edited from legitimate > FAKE slab

ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 28, 2018 8:57AM in U.S. Coin Forum

How did this coin get into a PCGS FAKE slab? It is currently active from eBay seller Jaypeedub88

Comments

• Options

Sadly a few bidders are on with 17hrs left....the white flash burnt spot was probably intentionally done :#

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it is sad.
    But if you're spending that much money for a "gold" "coin" and this tripe fools you......I hesitate to say you deserve to get boofooed but..........

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's not even a good fake...ouch.

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭✭

The font is the wrong style on the slab label. Neither the coin nor the label are very convincing, but someone will unfortunately fall for it.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2018 12:32AM

Reported as counterfeit.
    (Halfway down page, on right side, just above "eBay item number", is a "Report item" link.
    In the categories, use Copyright, Counterfeit, Counterfeit).
    In my description I said:
    "Counterfeit coin, in counterfeit PCGS slab.
    Note: in 1912 date, 19 is small and 12 are large."
    Auction has 4 days left.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1912-St-Gaudens-20-Double-Eagle-MS-63/283025298187?hash=item41e59f530b:g:JwYAAOSwlmhbMQXp

• Options

I couldn't believe any could be fooled :sstumbled over it looking for 1912 Saint

@mannie gray said:
    Yes, it is sad.
    But if you're spending that much money for a "gold" "coin" and this tripe fools you......I hesitate to say you deserve to get boofooed but..........

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like Fat Gandalf is fending off Hobbits tryna steal his weed.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, scary !!! :s

Timbuk3
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Timbuk3 said:
    Wow, scary !!! :s

No. The scary counterfeits require the close examination by an expert authenticator using a stereo microscope to be uncovered. This coin is so bad that it's more funny than scary.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ArizonaRareCoinsArizonaRareCoins Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭

Listing has been removed.....Also, the PCGS holder is counterfeit, the barcode on it is invalid. The barcode reads as 28837418, and there is no such coin in the PCGS registry. The seller made the barcode impossible to scan, but you can still read it manually using the interleaved translation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interleaved_2_of_5

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2018 4:25AM

I'm glad it was taken down.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is unbelievable...Glad it has been removed... I find it amazing that people actually bid on it...well, perhaps not unbelievable... but sad that people with so little knowledge would be spending such money without more research or consultation. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2018 7:41AM

This is exactly why I hated the Hobby Protection Act! Today there are beautiful reproductions around with the word "COPY" used to destroy their beauty and no one is really protected. The ignorant still buy stuff as this POS!

Years ago I had a caller tell me about a rare coin they had (Think it was a Bar Cent). As he described it and how it was passed down in the family after it was discovered in a roll top desk I patiently listened. Then I asked if there was any writing on the coin. He said no but there is something on the edge. "Read what you see" I said. He replied, "C - O - P - Y." That's what I mean. A few "do-gooder's" lobbied Congress to make another stupid law.

And before any "snowflakes" reply, I don't care about saving "even just one collector..." Capitol Hill has better things to do like putting warning labels on things like "Do not try to hold this vacuum cleaner over your head to clean the ceiling!" How about: "Swallowing this caustic acid can kill you."

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

The thread title should be changed because that is not a "legitimate slab".

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2ndCharter said:

I think that's why a question mark was used.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2018 9:57AM

I did not know the slab was as fake....I do now and subject line has been corrected :) Thank you.

@sellitstore said:

@2ndCharter said:

I think that's why a question mark was used.

• Options
    BustyPotatoBustyPotato Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

Liberty gained some weight. What a fake.

A government accident left me a former man, a potato. That photo on my profile is a low resolution selfie. I like coins.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Hobby Protection Act has a provision that allows individuals to bring a civil legal action against ANY counterfeiter and, if successful, recover 100% of the counterfeiter's' revenue. Plus equipment, dies and anything else used will be confiscated and destroyed.

• Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭

Saddest fake I have seen in a long time.

image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    The Hobby Protection Act has a provision that allows individuals to bring a civil legal action against ANY counterfeiter and, if successful, recover 100% of the counterfeiter's' revenue. Plus equipment, dies and anything else used will be confiscated and destroyed.

They would just claim that they had no idea that it was fake and that they were scammed by the person they bought it from.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:
    Slab is fake too.
    The coin is a really pathetic fake.

that is probably the worst ive seen in a slab.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

crud, that screams bogus right from the get go.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll never forget the time I sent a message to an ebay seller that was selling an 1889cc that she inherited. Or so she said in the description. Had it priced at $2,499 and it was raw.

The message I sent: Did your relative collect fakes or do they have some real ones too?

The message I got back: What makes you think this is a fake coin? I've had it looked at by two dealers and they both wanted to buy it at more that what I have it listed for (ebay rules won't let me list for what it's worth).

My response: Because it has COPY stamped across the eagles breast.

Didn't hear anymore and listing was removed.......lol

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,224 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@RogerB said:

They would just claim that they had no idea that it was fake and that they were scammed by the person they bought it from.

If they have equipment and dies, unless they are the U.S. Mint, they can't pretend they didn't know. I think you are confusing the counterfeiter with the accidental seller of a counterfeit.

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:

Are you aware of a case where that has happened?

• Options

Go and read the law, then if you have questions about how to proceed, hire an attorney to advise you.

I have not examined case law for this. The ANA, as the official hobby organization - Congress says so - should have, but they don't seem to care or enforce it even for members.

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Go and read the law, then if you have questions about how to proceed, hire an attorney to advise you.

I have not examined case law for this. The ANA, as the official hobby organization - Congress says so - should have, but they don't seem to care or enforce it even for members.

OK, so that really didn't answer my question then.

I actually have read the Law and had the opportunity to sit in on a meeting with Staffers of the Senate Finance Committee and Liaison to CBP discussing the issue of fake coins in fake TPG holders. The Committee expressed interest in Trade Mark infringement for the fake holders/ labels, CBP in identifying bad product at port of entry and stopping it from getting into the country.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a real coin, just a late die state.

:D

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

Counterfeiters and violators of HPA are both foreign and domestic. Trade Mark/patent infringement is already common, and any TPG whose product is infringed can take civil action.

Yep -- interdiction at PoE is very difficult for imported violators. Domestic can be easily taken to civil court, if anyone cares and has the necessary start-up funds.

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

It should also be reported to local authorities... It's a federal crime in my book.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    It's a real coin, just a late die state.

:D

Yes, so late in fact that the die was made a century after the date indicated on "the thing."

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

She spent the real coin on food.

• Options
    kenriles012kenriles012 Posts: 170 ✭✭

I saw a bunch of fake PCGS slabbed coins recently. Guy had inherited them and you can imagine the disappointment when he found out he had worthless junk.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file