Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Our coinage designs send messages to the World, but so do our actions.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

We are who we were, not what we seem to have become.

Al H.

Comments

• Options

it's actually a coin thread interpreted as a Political thread, but yes, here you go again.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since all the statue of liberty issues are just bullion , that seems to show what people think of the idea. :D

• Options

I guess as a Nation we should take more responsibility for problems we have helped create. there are several problems we have been battling since I was old enough to vote and one of them is the Drug epidemic which has only gotten worse over the years. another is our penchant for inciting upheaval in other Sovereign Nations where we believe there should be Democracy. there are consequences for such actions by Elected Officials who probably don't know what our coinage says, that we are an open door to oppressed people of the World, it's sort of an American foundational concept. it is no use to discuss the hows/wheres/whens/whos of a problem if we won't accept the ramifications. I wonder, is it too harsh to use the genocide??

the talk of front doors is convenient, but when you're trying to escape a fire I don't think that's a paramount concern, when you're looking o escape injustice I don't think you really care if you come in a window.

poor u.s. because we have become an oppressor on both sides of an equation whose answer is apparently zero.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

We are what we eat. Check out the fat at the midsection, for details.

• Options

@keets said:
    I guess as a Nation we should take more responsibility for problems we have helped create. there are several problems we have been battling since I was old enough to vote and one of them is the Drug epidemic which has only gotten worse over the years. another is our penchant for inciting upheaval in other Sovereign Nations where we believe there should be Democracy. there are consequences for such actions by Elected Officials who probably don't know what our coinage says, that we are an open door to oppressed people of the World, it's sort of an American foundational concept. it is no use to discuss the hows/wheres/whens/whos of a problem if we won't accept the ramifications. I wonder, is it too harsh to use the genocide??

the talk of front doors is convenient, but when you're trying to escape a fire I don't think that's a paramount concern, when you're looking o escape injustice I don't think you really care if you come in a window.

poor u.s. because we have become an oppressor on both sides of an equation whose answer is apparently zero.

We created these problems on purpose , and things are going just the way they were planned. We have never encouraged democracy in the rest of the world just death and destruction. Death is good business for those that own our government

• Options

Dave, I volunteered four years of my life, that was enough and valued at more than my collection.
    Perry, I only replied to other posts.
    Bill, SS isn't under-funded but our Uncle has raided it to serve other purposes such as the magic balanced budget around 2000. past that you didn't post much I can disagree with.
    bronco, in a sinister way you are right.

• Options
    edited June 19, 2018 6:23AM

Since Mexico beat Germany in the first match of the World Cup, we should annex it. Then we could be winners.

Ooops, sorry. This is sports related.

• Options
    edited June 19, 2018 6:25AM

while our doors have closed at various times in our History they have always swung back open.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

The sentiment expressed on the coins above is one of the things that makes the US a great nation. Whatever our immigration policy, it needs somehow to preserve this ideal.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2018 6:38AM

@keets said:

We are who we were, not what we seem to have become.

Al H.

Beginning in 1875, the United States forbids prostitutes and criminals from entering the country. The Chinese Exclusion Act is passed in 1882. Also restricted are “lunatics” and “idiots.”

https://history.com/topics/ellis-island

• Options

Asylum from a system that adopted payola by its enforcers of law. Tear down that wall ! Seems as if they're the same system.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2018 7:14AM

America is cracking at our foundation ...... as the World Watches, the United States of America commits government sanctioned CHILD ABUSE.

SHAME on the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Take back the Great USA from the Racists, please vote against Racism!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This all about Racism ........ just look at who disagrees with this post ......

• Options

The war on drugs is working as designed. The english addicted all of China to opium to steal their silver , they showed us the way and we one upped them . Here addiction is the one thing we didn't choose to outsource to China. We attacked Afghanistan to make sure there was enough opium available to murder half a generation of americans. Think about it , every addict that dies removes himself from the present population and snuffs out every descendant he was unable to create. While the addict is still alive though , the big pharma companies get to treat them for addictions they created and bill the tax payers and insurance companies a fortune in fiat dollars .

The personal toll , 3 addicts in my family , one lost , 1 recovered , and one twisting in the wind still too close to call. All millennials . The outlook is bleak for that age group , even the ones who avoid opiods are so glued to their Iphones they will forget to reproduce.

If it keeps up at this pace we might need unlimited immigration just to keep a level population.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread was nothing but a provocation from the beginning. I hope it gets taken down as soon as possible.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    What we used to be was an example and beacon of hope for the world, inspiring others. Now, for too many, we are just a destination for free stuff.

Instead of solving problems in their own countries, too many people just want to leave. Does anyone ever wonder what those other countries are doomed to become once an entire generation or two escapes to go elsewhere?

The late economist Milton Friedman once said. "We can have open borders or a welfare state, but not both". The reasons should be obvious.

Boy did you hit the nail on the head!

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    It is a common misconception that the United States is infinitely wealthy and can fix all of the world’s problems. It isn’t, and prosperity can vanish much more quickly than most people might believe. I’ve learned from experience that it’s a lot easier to get poor than it is get rich. It’s also a lot harder to get the economy to work that it is to wreck it. Just look at Venezuela. It is sitting on some of the biggest oil reserves in the world and yet it can’t even supply its people with the basic necessities.

My wife and I were discussing a major problem that we going to face in the next ten to twenty years. What are we going to do with the millions of retirees who are saving nothing for the time when they can no longer work? Defined pension plans are thing of the past. All most companies offer is a 401 k, and to get that work, you have put some of your current earnings in it. In addition, it’s all too easy to raid that fund to pay for current wants and expenses, despite the penalties for doing so. Too many people are living from pay check to pay check and have no savings. Too few people are planning for retirement.

Social Security is underfunded and the demographics for funding it are not promising. There are too many recipients and not enough tax payers. Medicare is facing even more difficult funding problems.

The United States cannot afford to solve all of the world’s problems and neither can any other nation. Immigration needs to be an orderly and organized process. We can’t take everyone, and we most certainly are under no obligation to take criminals, terrorists and other people who are dead weight in society.

Yes, economics tells us that a nation benefits from taking in productive immigrants. New people make the future, but the key word is productive.

Yes, it is much easier to break things than to build.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options

If Americans decided to just run away to other countries no one would take any of us either. :D We would be locked up exactly the same way. Look over to the Mediterranean Sea all those boatloads of people trying to roost in Italy , France tells Italy they should be ashamed for turning them away , but they don't want them either.

On the other hand if we were not constantly dropping bombs on their heads for the last 50 years they would probably just stay home. ;)

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    If Americans decided to just run away to other countries no one would take any of us either. :D We would be locked up exactly the same way. Look over to the Mediterranean Sea all those boatloads of people trying to roost in Italy , France tells Italy they should be ashamed for turning them away , but they don't want them either.

On the other hand if we were not constantly dropping bombs on their heads for the last 50 years they would probably just stay home. ;)

Just who have we been dropping bombs on for the last 50 years. That would be 1968 to date. Other than those who were responsible for 9-11 who would these people be????

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@BillJones said:
    Ellis Island was a checkpoint, not an open door. Not everyone who applied there gained entry. Criminals and others who were deemed undesirable were not allowed to enter.

Actually, if you coughed at Ellis Island, they would send you back for fear of disease.

Problems with diseases were much worse at that time. The flu killed millions of people in 1918. Doctors didn’t now much about how to deal with it, except by quarantining those who were ill.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@BillJones said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BillJones said:
    Ellis Island was a checkpoint, not an open door. Not everyone who applied there gained entry. Criminals and others who were deemed undesirable were not allowed to enter.

Actually, if you coughed at Ellis Island, they would send you back for fear of disease.

Problems with diseases were much worse at that time. The flu killed millions of people in 1918. Doctors didn’t now much about how to deal with it, except by quarantining those who were ill.

Oh, I agree. I wasn't suggesting using the same standard. My only point is that the US has NEVER had open borders. I don't know of any nation that does have completely open borders.

When my great grandparents emigrated in the 1910s, my great grandfather came by himself and worked in labor camps for 10 years, gradually bringing over the older sons to work and only at the end bringing the girls and my great-grandmother. That story is not unique. The borders weren't open, you needed to have a sponsor and show means of support. It was a long grueling process.

It is nostalgic historic revisionism - or fake news, as we call it today - that Ellis Island was a welcoming place for everyone who wanted to come.

The Statue of Liberty / Ellis Island coin has the flowery language on it that has never been true, but the situation with immigration has gotten markedly better than it was in the 19th century. Back then the Chinese were treated very poorly and there was a third political party, the American Party, or “Know Nothings” who advocated very stringent laws for immigrates. You had to live here for 20 years before you could become a citizen, and during that time your civil rights were very limited.

Here is a Henry Clay piece from the 1844 presidential campaign.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

I forsee another thread going POOF before too long.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@oih82w8 said:

Quite true, but the sad part is you can post an educational item and get very few responses or no responses and very few views. I've been running series on British kings in the Foreign section, but there is not much interest. Ditto for the essay I posted on quarters this morning. Stuff like this gets people going.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

We are dropping bombs on Isis (which didn't exist on 9/11/01) and the Taliban, who had nothing to do with 9/11, to name a couple. I'm not saying these groups don't deserve it, just that our military endeavors today have little to do with 9/11 anymore.

As a numismatist, I have to wonder if all of those bomb craters along the old silk road have uncovered any coin hoards. I would think that region would be a dream for the metal detector enthusiast.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

@mustangmanbob said:
    Attention PCGS, this thread has now cost you a little of $120, as I tore up my submission forms for 5 coins I was sending in today. If you want to grade coins, great. If you want to be another political forum for either side, then fine, NGC works fine for me.

There is a solution. You can ignore it.

• Options
    edited June 19, 2018 8:16AM

@PerryHall said:

@bronco2078 said:

I didn't realize we were bombing Central America for the last 50 years. You learn something new here every day. ;)

Down there we don't bomb directly , we spread money around to incite rebellions then sell arms to both sides.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_involvement_in_regime_change

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:

Not if people play nice...and @BillJones keeps posting pretty coin/token pictures. :wink:

This discussion has been closed.