Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Discussion has run it's course.....be well, be kind and be aware!!

13»

Comments

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    hookooekoohookooekoo Posts: 381 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    The government taking a Deist position clearly establishes a belief in or acceptance of the Deist position...to the detriment of non-Deists.

The Constitution says the government can not create a religion, it doesn't say the government can not participate in religion.

So the way the establishment clause protects the citizens is basically making it illegal to pass a law strictly on religious grounds.

As an example, the Supreme Court tossed out sodomy laws because the only justification for such laws were to try to force somebody from "committing a sin".

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today if you own a bakery you can put up your sign " We reserve the RIGHT to refuse service to anybody "

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    God loves us. That's why He made beer.

Then who made Budweiser? :s

• Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Normally I would run from this topic but the motto is on approximately 50 zillion coins.

Please make no assumptions about my beliefs for what I am about to say but I think it is important to always look at both sides.

The IGWT statement simply is not true. Even if it's only 10% that don't believe in God that's over 30 million citizens in this country. They are a part of WE or you are saying they don't count or they don't matter.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Icollecteverything said:
    Normally I would run from this topic but the motto is on approximately 50 zillion coins.

Please make no assumptions about my beliefs for what I am about to say but I think it is important to always look at both sides.

The IGWT statement simply is not true. Even if it's only 10% that don't believe in God that's over 30 million citizens in this country. They are a part of WE or you are saying they don't count or they don't matter.

Of course, not everyone believes they came from monkeys. And for that, I exclude myself from that part of.........WE.

Leo :)

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

This "discussion" has been repeated over and over.

I honestly don't understand why people get in an uproar that it is on coinage.

It's some words that mean something to some people, and nothing to others. It really does not harm anyway. Most people in the US today probably don't even realize it is on money as they use electronic means for so much.

People that sue to get rid of things because it has been there but it "offends" them, need to be held liable for ALL costs when they lose.

People that want to get in p*ssing matches with others about coins and religion need to get a life, imho. There is just so much faux outrage these days that it is sickening.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FadeToBlack said:
    I'm an atheist. Just because some take a hard line stance is no reason to demonize all of us. I don't compare you guys to the freakin' Amish...

I hope Joseph and Ezekiel aren't reading this. :o

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leothelyon said:

Of course, not everyone believes they came from monkeys. And for that, I exclude myself from that part of.........WE.

Came from monkeys or ARE monkeys? :p

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to go to the beach just stay out of the water.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    hookooekoohookooekoo Posts: 381 ✭✭✭

@hookooekoo said:
    The Constitution says the government can not create a religion, it doesn't say the government can not participate in religion.

I think I found a U.S. Supreme Court opinion that seems to essentially say what I was trying to say above:

"The course of constitutional neutrality in this area cannot be an absolutely straight line; rigidity could well defeat the basic purpose of these provisions, which is to insure that no religion be sponsored or favored, none commanded, and none inhibited. The general principle deducible from the First Amendment and all that has been said by the Court is this: that we will not tolerate either governmentally established religion or governmental interference with religion. Short of those expressly proscribed governmental acts there is room for play in the joints productive of a benevolent neutrality which will permit religious exercise to exist without sponsorship and without interference.

https://openjurist.org/432/f2d/242/aronow-v-united-states

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@leothelyon said:

Humans didn't come from monkeys. Humans and monkeys came from a common ancestor.

Does make me ponder which one progressed the most and the monkey wins hands down.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leothelyon said:

@PerryHall said:

@leothelyon said:

Humans didn't come from monkeys. Humans and monkeys came from a common ancestor.

Does make me ponder which one progressed the most and the monkey wins hands down.

They are way ahead. In their natural habitat they stick to an organic vegan diet and don't hand over 20% of their production to the medical community.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Were there dinosaurs on the ark?

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

ColonolJessup might recall.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    Would you feel the same if it said "In Allah We Trust"? I still think it's much better to keep church and state separated and not pick winners and losers on a national/federal level based on one specific ancient myth with zero evidence, where there are thousands of ancient myths to choose from.

God strikes me as an incredibly generic term and could be applied to any number of monotheistic religions. I also doubt that 95% of the population even notices its presence on the coin.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bochiman said:

Put a Darwin Fish on the coins and see how bad the "uproar" gets.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    Would you feel the same if it said "In Allah We Trust"? I still think it's much better to keep church and state separated and not pick winners and losers on a national/federal level based on one specific ancient myth with zero evidence, where there are thousands of ancient myths to choose from.

God strikes me as an incredibly generic term and could be applied to any number of monotheistic religions. I also doubt that 95% of the population even notices its presence on the coin.

One could argue that the motto establishes a monotheistic religion while simultaneously disregarding mult-itheistic and non-theistic views.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2018 12:21PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Insider2 said:
    @jmlanzaf said: "The government taking **a Deist position **clearly establishes a belief in or acceptance of the Deist position...to the detriment of non-Deists.

IMO, you have your tenses mixed up. The government did not take a position at a particular time with a "motto," what it did was affirm and recognize the ORIGINAL position of the importance of a Deity as involved with the founding of our country.

Having some form of a God does not effect an atheist in the least. AFAIK, there is only one "Religion" at this time that persecutes "non-believers." If seeing the word "God" on a coin offends someone, they need to get a life after visiting a doctor. :)

My tenses are perfectly correct. And, in fact, you misstate the history of the motto. The motto was suggested to during the Civil War as a necessary statement of belief. It was meant to establish that the U.S. was not a heathen nation, so it does in its history attempt to "establish" the U.S. as a deist nation.

The Constitution does not require that anyone be seriously offended or inconvenienced. It only demands that there be no Establishment, not an inconvenient Establishment.

Again, I don't really care about the motto myself, but that is different than saying that the Constitution permits it. I personally wouldn't care if the currency said "Satan be praised", but a lot of other people would disagree.

https://treasury.gov/about/education/Pages/in-god-we-trust.aspx

Not that it matters but I agree with most of your post. Thanks for the history lesson. Actually I would not care when or why the motto was put on coins EXCEPT for the numismatic significance.

The ONLY reason I bother to post in this thread is to inform misguided folks that they do not know what the Establishment Clause is Except for the misguided OPINION (that has now taken hold) of a court judge that "smoked-up" the issue. Until a person goes back to the original papers from the founders they CANNOT and NEVER Will understand. There is no reference to anything approaching :"The separation of church and state" in the Constitution! Our country was founded on a Deity. It is spelled out on Parchment and in stone all over our Federal buildings. Folks who wish to destroy this country and what it stands for MUST separate the state from a Deity. They have been at it for a long, long, time. The evidence of their success is all over the TV every night. :(

PS When a chemist (?) and a coin authenticator write about the law, consider most of it is a joke until you do some research for yourselves.

• Options
    edited June 5, 2018 1:17PM

@TommyType said:

Not all that long ago, the California flag "had" to be changed. There was a little building with a cross on it, indicating the importance of the early Catholic Missions in the history of the state. Well, that cross apparently wasn't acceptable. Why? Are we going to retroactively decide that the Catholic Missions didn't exist? Or that they weren't Christians?

Oh well, some people just refuse to be happy.....They'll find something to complain about....

Um what are you talking about, we have a Grizzly Bear Flag

Fake, false, untrue narratives are getting really old .......

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am catching up sorry guys. I have the plate so I am a fan, but I heard it was put on the money as a means to make it easier to get folks to accept it as being acceptable and having authority.

Works for me.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2018 1:47PM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@TommyType said:

Not all that long ago, the California flag "had" to be changed. There was a little building with a cross on it, indicating the importance of the early Catholic Missions in the history of the state. Well, that cross apparently wasn't acceptable. Why? Are we going to retroactively decide that the Catholic Missions didn't exist? Or that they weren't Christians?

Oh well, some people just refuse to be happy.....They'll find something to complain about....

Um what are you talking about, we have a Grizzly Bear Flag

Fake, false, untrue narratives are getting really old .......

Oh, don't have a cow. After a little research, (instead of my memory), it was the seal of the city of Los Angeles:

Old and New:

Could have sworn the original had a building and cross....but memories are like that.....

Added: And to make me look even better, it's the COUNTY of Los Angeles, not city. sigh

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2018 1:47PM

Thank you for the clarification. I appreciate it.

I never go to LA and could care less nor even knew about LA's seal. But that said, the mission is way more appropriate to California.

The state flag is kinda important.

• Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Insider2 said:

me. The evidence of their success is all over the TV every night. :(

PS When a chemist (?) and a coin authenticator write about the law, consider most of it is a joke until you do some research for yourselves.

LOL. This!

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2018 6:37PM

@Crypto said:

@BryceM said:
    I really don’t care if the motto is on our coins or not. I’m comfortable in my beliefs and will fight vigorously for your right to believe in the same thing, something else, or nothing at all. I just find it interesting that it bothers some people enough that they would expend time and effort to pursue it through our legal system. They obviously have more free time and money than I do.

Maybe it should be modified to say “In God Most of us Trvst.”

Do most people believe? I am not so sure about that. If people really believed in all powerful space men, I would suspect they would do more walking the walk instead of talking the talk to keep them happy. Not to mention these Gods wouldn’t keep changing the rules to adapt to society.

From what I see is mostly people saying tired tropes to societally fit in and then do what they want, how they want. confident that the ever changing definition of religious compliance will come down to their level. And it typically does

Society is better off with various religions placating the masses but that doesn’t make the old fables true.

Reminds me to ponder number six of Cicero's "Six Mistakes of Man"

1. Attempting to compel others to believe and live as we do
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jedm said:

@Crypto said:

@BryceM said:
    I really don’t care if the motto is on our coins or not. I’m comfortable in my beliefs and will fight vigorously for your right to believe in the same thing, something else, or nothing at all. I just find it interesting that it bothers some people enough that they would expend time and effort to pursue it through our legal system. They obviously have more free time and money than I do.

Maybe it should be modified to say “In God Most of us Trvst.”

Do most people believe? I am not so sure about that. If people really believed in all powerful space men, I would suspect they would do more walking the walk instead of talking the talk to keep them happy. Not to mention these Gods wouldn’t keep changing the rules to adapt to society.

From what I see is mostly people saying tired tropes to societally fit in and then do what they want, how they want. confident that the ever changing definition of religious compliance will come down to their level. And it typically does

Society is better off with various religions placating the masses but that doesn’t make the old fables true.

Reminds me to ponder number six of Cicero's "Six Mistakes of Man"

1. Attempting to compel others to believe and live as we do

Boom!
    Nailed it.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't care, especially if it had history with our coinage.
    It doesn't, however, and IGWT does, doesn't it.

I'm not about radical changes just to have radical changes. And, that is what this always gets down to.

I'll say again.....most people that don't collect coins don't know it is there...especially younger people. It is only those that want to have some faux outrage that seem to have problems with it and want to push their own views on the majority. Just like Christmas decorations in parks/schools/etc. It's gone way too far and people let themselves get bullied into removing things that haven't harmed anyone (Christmas decorations didn't harm people so don't say they did...nor has IGWT on coinage).

@dcarr said:

@Bochiman said:

Put a Darwin Fish on the coins and see how bad the "uproar" gets.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file