Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Anyone up for some Roosie Talk? - Thread #5

Comments

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

@newcollect said:

@onlyroosies said:

@newcollect said:
    IMO I would pull that off the auction now before its too late, that is a one of a kind coin and a collector will buy it eventually for what you want for it. If your dead set and want to auction it call Ian at Great collections not only will he give you an opinion on the value it will be promoted longer than on ebay. He knows the market and is willing to share and first class customer service with his team. Just an opinion I have been wrong before just ask my wife.

It's only a one of a kind coin until another is made. If it's worth more than $1000 it will sell for more.

His odds are pretty good considering there have been only 3 other 9'S made in the last 15 years!

I sent a submission a couple weeks ago which i’m expecting at least one 69FB on. So, pop will change soon. > @Tetromibi said:

@ilikemonsters said:

I sent a submission a couple weeks ago which i’m expecting at least one 69FB on. So, pop will change soon.

Best of luck!

Is it a 2017-P?

yes

• TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2018 9:51AM

@ilikemonsters said:

I sent a submission a couple weeks ago which i’m expecting at least one 69FB on. So, pop will change soon.

Awesome. My last few modern submissions have taken <14 calendar days. So you should be due very soon.

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tetromibi said:
    1999- 3x 69FB's out of 587 FB's graded
    2000- 0 69's out of 759 FB's graded
    2001- 4x 69FB's out of 590 FB's graded
    2002- 3x 69FB's out of 496 FB's graded
    2003-2014 no 69FB (Non- Satin Finish)
    2015- 1x 69FB out of 390 FB's graded
    2016- 0x 69FB out of 307 FB's graded
    2017- 1x 69FB out of 660FB's graded

It's definitely possible that another one gets made, but I don't think you can call it a certainty. Only time will tell.

I consider myself a bit of a Roosie Historian as I can recall certain coins in this series.
    I believe @wondercoin made a few of these 9FB's from the 1999-2002 era as he mentioned this some 10+ yrs ago in a thread. Modern submissions were around $8-$10 per coin and he sent them under a different tier as they were that good. He found them in a fresh batch of Mint sets and sent them in at $30 a pop to get graded.

PCGS has certainly given out the 9 grade to quite a few Roosies, but not for yrs. It's been at least a good dozen yrs give or take a yr since PCGS gave any Roosie the 9FB grade. The reason for doing so now is, and this is JMHO, is that the mint is turning out some insane looking Roosies.

I have to look again, but I have a '16 or '17 in an 8FB slab that is 101% a 9FB all day long. Unfortunately getting PCGS to upgrade it is like trying to win the lottery.

I would bet anything that there will be more 9FB's made, several actually.

Later, Paul.

BTW, it's utterly fantastic to see some Roosie talk going on. It warms the cockles of my heart!

Later, Paul.
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭

Paul, That 15P 68FB I sold you I firmly believe should grade 68+FB shot 69FB. Take a look at that one again.

• mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

There will be more 2017 P 69's

• CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be looking to pickup a pair of ms68fb 2018s. Are they going to be common? What would be a fair price?

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004

You probably won't see them until early June. I'm sure there will be a few that come available, but there's no telling how many. it looks like there's still only 3 2016-p's that have been graded and 6 2017-D's.

As for price, it's impossible to say at this point. If you buy early, you run the risk that people will have a whole ton graded and the value will drop. You also have the possibility that you get one and very few more are graded and you've gotten a deal. Moderns are fickle like that.

edited April 16, 2018 5:41PM

@Currin said:
    I will be looking to pickup a pair of ms68fb 2018s. Are they going to be common? What would be a fair price?

The last 2 8FB D's I bought I paid $61 and $68 and the last 2 P's I paid a lot more ($150-$180). I think these will be much easier to get for 2018, so I wouldn't worry about finding one unless you are one of those that has to have one right away and willing to pay moon money for it.

I will be making my own this yr unless there is one for a song on the bay!

Later, Paul.
  • CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, for the info. I will start watching in June

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004

@mas3387 said:
    There will be more graded....

@mas3387 said:

Tazmic, why so confident? Great batch been sent in, or did you already have some grade out?

edited April 16, 2018 7:02PM

I think he knows something. I'm holding off for now. I'm going to play wait and see and keep a close eye on the pops

• mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

@onlyroosies said:
    I think he knows something. I'm holding off for now. I'm going to play wait and see and keep a close eye on the pops

The 2017 P is about the finest Roosie found in a US Mint set since SF coins...

@Tetromibi said:

@mas3387 said:
    There will be more graded....

@mas3387 said:

Tazmic, why so confident? Great batch been sent in, or did you already have some grade out?

That's what I do

@mas3387 said:

That's what I do

haha, me too! :wink:

No 68FB's or 69FB's graded yesterday.

• newcollectnewcollect Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the deadline for 2018 registry sets?

End of june

I have noticed two things on the 2017's in all denominations as far as grading, a few tic's ( I've see up to 4 even in the focal points) is ok for a 68 but no broken luster. Any opinions?

@newcollect said:
    I have noticed two things on the 2017's in all denominations as far as grading, a few tic's ( I've see up to 4 even in the focal points) is ok for a 68 but no broken luster. Any opinions?

I should add the multiple ticks I mentioned are not on the dimes.

Since we're all on the Roosie talk kick lately I have a few questions...

1) Where do you see the populations for clad and silver going in the next 10 yrs? More 9FBs? Possibly a 9FB Silver Roosie? Will there ever be a complete 48 silver set in 8FB?
    2) Do you think this coin will ever get redesigned?
    3) Will there ever be a huge interest in this coin?

Later, Paul.
  • davids5104davids5104 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭

I have the 17th ranked NGC 46-64 set that I am going to cross to PCGS. I have a lot of Stars in this set. Do you believe it is worth crossing?

[Ebay Store - Come Visit]

Roosevelt Registry

transactions with cucamongacoin, FHC, mtinis, bigjpst, Rob41281, toyz4geo, erwindoc, add your name here!!!

@davids5104 said:
    I have the 17th ranked NGC 46-64 set that I am going to cross to PCGS. I have a lot of Stars in this set. Do you believe it is worth crossing?

Not worth crossing any graded below MS67FT. I think you would be very disappointed in how few will cross. I do not think any of your MS68's will cross. JMHO

• davids5104davids5104 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭

They are all 67ft for the ones I have. Well I may have a 66 star ft in there. Thanks for your help

[Ebay Store - Come Visit]

Roosevelt Registry

transactions with cucamongacoin, FHC, mtinis, bigjpst, Rob41281, toyz4geo, erwindoc, add your name here!!!

It looks like no more 2017 68FB or 69FB's were graded this week.

Also, all of my submissions that arrived in the last 1-4 weeks have grades that have posted.

edited April 21, 2018 3:52AM

@Stooge said:
    Since we're all on the Roosie talk kick lately I have a few questions...

1) Where do you see the populations for clad and silver going in the next 10 yrs? up to both More 9FBs? I'm going to try. Possibly a 9FB Silver Roosie? doubtful, but maybe Will there ever be a complete 48 silver set in 8FB? eventually
    2) Do you think this coin will ever get redesigned? I hope so. This design has run its course. As long as they don't turn it into a yearly design change, then I think it would be cool.
    3) Will there ever be a huge interest in this coin? Define huge

• rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
    edited April 21, 2018 6:07AM

I was tired of hearing about clads. ;)

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."

@rainbowroosie said:

Am I doing it right?

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tetromibi said:

@rainbowroosie said:

Am I doing it right?

No. Your pictures are right-side up, level, cropped and finger free. :smile:

Anyone can post a TruView. Real photographic talent is getting the colors right over your kitchen sink with a cellphone. Fingers don’t matter (except one) only the toning! B)

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking to buy a 1960 Roosevelt Dime graded by PCGS. At least Ms66, preferably Ms67. Please DM me if you have one.

I love the blue. Beautiful

I can’t see blue and not think of Craig. :)

• labloverlablover Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2018 6:29PM

@rainbowroosie said:
    I can’t see blue and not think of Craig. :)

Sure do miss Craig!!!

Here's one I picked-up recently...NGC MS67 in an old holder.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

So who won the pop (2/0) 2008-D MS68FB Business Strike Roosie from GC's tonight? It hammered at $460 w/o juice.
    I thought it was okay for the grade at best and the lower bands weren't there in my opinion.
    I popped the initial '08-D 8FB BS and it took 10yrs to pop the second.

Later, Paul.

BTW, great looking blue Roosies!

Later, Paul.
  • MACGE1MACGE1 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

@Stooge said:
    So who won the pop (2/0) 2008-D MS68FB Business Strike Roosie from GC's tonight? It hammered at $460 w/o juice.
    I thought it was okay for the grade at best and the lower bands weren't there in my opinion.

I did. I thought that it went too cheap. Once I see it in hand I’ll see if the pictures were kind to it or not.

I thought it went way to cheap. Had I been home last night I would have bid much higher.

John lost the pop 1/0 bonus points when that second 08D 68FB got made.

@onlyroosies said:
    John lost the pop 1/0 bonus points when that second 08D 68FB got made.

What would you pay me to crack it and send PCGS the label? ;)

• robecrobec Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2018 7:09PM

Just finished photographing this for a Roosie buddy who thought this would be a good place to post.

MS67+ pop 2/0

Why does it seem like Roosie's have such incredible toning compared to other issues? It seems like you could build some killer toned sets.

@MACGE1 said:

@Stooge said:

I did. I thought that it went too cheap. Once I see it in hand I’ll see if the pictures were kind to it or not.

Have you received the '08-D yet? Is it a true 8FB or is it getting your 90FB label?

Later, Paul.

@Stooge said:

@MACGE1 said:

@Stooge said:

Have you received the '08-D yet? Is it a true 8FB or is it getting your 90FB label?

Not yet, I should have it in a few days.

There’s a very nice group of clad roosies this week at GC, please post if you win anything cool.

@MACGE1 said:

There’s a very nice group of clad roosies this week at GC, please post if you win anything cool.

I would love to know who "The Centurian collection" is? He or she has some incredible Roosies.

Later, Paul.

@MACGE1 said:

@Stooge said:

I see the coin is listed on eBay now for 3xs what you paid for it. I guess I don't get an answer to my question.
    Lately there has been a serious rash on Roosies selling for moderate prices on Great Collections, only to be listed on eBay the very next week at bloated prices. I've unfortunately been an under bidder on a few of these dimes, and unbelievably they have been selling.
    Flippers are really hammering the Roosies and collectors are just not doing their homework. Essentially giving their money away.
    Enjoy you huge profit as I'm sure someone will buy it.

Later, Paul.
  • labloverlablover Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stooge said:

@MACGE1 said:

@Stooge said:

I see the coin is listed on eBay now for 3xs what you paid for it. I guess I don't get an answer to my question.
    Lately there has been a serious rash on Roosies selling for moderate prices on Great Collections, only to be listed on eBay the very next week at bloated prices. I've unfortunately been an under bidder on a few of these dimes, and unbelievably they have been selling.
    Flippers are really hammering the Roosies and collectors are just not doing their homework. Essentially giving their money away.

Paul,

I've got a few you can buy for less than 2xs what was paid. Wanta see em?

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

@lablover said:
    Paul,

I've got a few you can buy for less than 2xs what was paid. Wanta see em?

Lets see these bad boys!

Later, Paul.

@Stooge said:

Paul,

I don't think this is a fair poke at Eli. The coin sold way below what I even think it is worth. It's not his fault it hammered so cheap. Had I not missed the auction I would have bid upwards of $750 for the coin. Eli is a dealer and has the right to ask whatever he wants. He, as we all know it's a pop 2/0 with the other one residing in John's set and not going anywhere. So why not take a stab knowing there just might be another collector out there that doesn't really look on GC but does buy off eBay. I think it's a pretty smart move myself. If I had won the coin for $750 I would have just held onto if for future trading for a coin that could be used in John's set. If I had an interested party with cash I would have been asking $1000. So I don't see where Eli is that far off. He may even have it consigned and there's another cut. I'm sure he's taken losses in the past but we don't hear about those.