Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Help With IDing a McClellan Political Token (Anyone have a DeWitt handy?)

So the obverse is identical to what I've been able to find online as GMcC 1864-25, but the reverse eagle has a larger wingspan and the tips point to different letters than that particular catalogue number. Just wondering if there are catalogued variants of this particular medal. My apologies if I'm asking in the wrong place.. been a while since I posted here.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be a long wait. Lincoln said he had a case of the "slows".

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look on NNP.

• Options
    phnataccphnatacc Posts: 367 ✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Look on NNP.

Yeah, I've been exploring the auction catalogs to see if I could find a match. I did a book search there a while ago but it didn't get me anywhere unfortunately.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2018 4:03PM

GMcC 1864-25. Are the different reverses distinct varieties?

• Options

@GoldenEgg said:
    GMcC 1864-25. Are the different reverses distinct varieties?

I don't know, perhaps they aren't. But I can't find any GMcC 1864-25 previous sales that have this reverse either.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me send up the bat signal...
    @Broadstruck

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, GMcC 1864-25. Here is my piece.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Much appreciated BillJones & GoldenEgg. So, no separate variety for different eagle. Guess I did a lot of searching for nothing :D

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2018 6:25AM

@DCW said:
    Let me send up the bat signal...
    @Broadstruck

Just saw the bat signal and yes there are 2 difference reverses for the GMcC 1864-25 however only 1 is listed by DeWitt & Sullivan. Not only do the wings tips point to different reverse peripheral script letter positions, but the eagle wing design is completely different. If you look at the 2 examples the Eagle top spread wing on one has 2 feather sections and 3 on the other. Also the eagles feathered tail is difference and the olive branch on one curves up and on the other is straight. On the photo examples the DeWitt/Sullivan listed example is on the right with a hole for suspension. The examples phnatacc, BillJones, and I are posting to this thread are the unlisted variety and you'll see remnants of each being early die strikes which still show circular lathe marks. My example far below has intense lathe marks and is fully proof-like. The Dewitt/Sullivan listed example is far more common as including yours and Bill's I think I've now seen less than 6 in all grades from UNC to VF. I feel the unlisted reverse die used first must have cracked and the more commonly seen listed reverse die was cut and used to strike the majority of this issue. Okay now back to the bat cave ;)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

@phnatacc said:
    Much appreciated BillJones & GoldenEgg. So, no separate variety for different eagle. Guess I did a lot of searching for nothing :D

@phnatacc Woohoo wake up as yes there is :D

I guess at some point one would been to be designated as GMcC 1864-25a & the other as GMcC 1864-25b.

• Options

Wow! Thanks so much for all this information. You guys are great!

• Options

John J. Ford, Jr. had the only other high grade example I've seen which again shows the circular lathe marks.

• Options

Its hard to tell for sure from the examples posted, but do these reverses also show a recut D in PRESERVED on the reverse? It looks like the last specimen might.

• Options

@phnatacc said:
    Its hard to tell for sure from the examples posted, but do these reverses also show a recut D in PRESERVED on the reverse? It looks like the last specimen might.

On my example the bottom of the D in PRESERVED has been re-cut along with the top pf the T in THE.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file