Home Precious Metals

Where can I get a price guide book on art bars for a reasonable price?

BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
Some want 300.00 or moreimage Which is the most comprehensive? I noticed there are several editions out, why would someone buy one from the late 70's when there is more info in the books from the 90's?

I ended up with around 100 old art bars, any help appreciated!-----------BigE
I'm glad I am a Tree

Comments

• tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Coke, canceled, and enameled ones are all good. Holidays in general are not good.

I had to pay nearly that for mine

• slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Can someone please help me understand? So each edition of the "Guide" books is not its own self-contained book? I need to buy several of them (4th, 5th and 6th) to get the full picture?

And then what does the Price Guide include? Is the price guide just mintages and prices and not images of all the bars? If so, I think I'd rather just buy the price guide than have to buy 2-3 different editions of the Guide Books to get a full listing of bars. I can do without pictures of all the bars.
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Exactly, seems confusing-----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
    Thanks gsafan, checked amazon and all the booksellers and I thought e-bay too! Still need to now which is the best to BIN though! -------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
    BigE -- after reading more, I understand (though I may not be right) that the 4th Edition includes bars through 1985, the 5th Edition 1986-1990, and the 6th Edition 1991-current.

I'm not clear as to what the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Editions would have been, why the 6th Edition says "Volume 2" on it, or what the Price Guide does/does not include, but I think my comment above was right that you'd need the 4th, 5th and 6th Editions to have a full "set" covering all years.
    One is called the price guide and one is called the guide book, maybe the guide book doesn't have pricesimage--------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
    We are going to sit here trying to figure it out and someone will BIN them and we will get stuck buying the one on Amazon they want 599.00 for!image--------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    seems like a good business idea to get a new bar guide!
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Archie Kidd's 5th Edition, out of print for over 20 years, is the "bible of art bars." And if you can find one, it will set you back $300-$500. Good luck.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

<< <i>Archie Kidd's 5th Edition, out of print for over 20 years, is the "bible of art bars." And if you can find one, it will set you back $300-$500. Good luck. >>

But why is the 5th Edition the bible if it isn't a complete view of all years?

<< <i>

<< <i>Archie Kidd's 5th Edition, out of print for over 20 years, is the "bible of art bars." And if you can find one, it will set you back $300-$500. Good luck. >>

But why is the 5th Edition the bible if it isn't a complete view of all years? >>

Good question ... and the answer is: that's the last reference book that was compiled by him.

<< <i>

<< <i>

But why is the 5th Edition the bible if it isn't a complete view of all years? >>

Good question ... and the answer is: that's the last reference book that was compiled by him. >>

I see. So the 6th should now take its place?

<< <i>I see. So the 6th should now take its place? >>

I don't believe so ... this book does not replace the 5th edition, it is a continuation of the 5th.

(It lists all the new bars that have been produced since the 5th edition in 1991 and a number that were missed in the 5th edition)

And since a majority of the Art Bars were produced prior to 1991, you still need the 5th edition.
    Just talked with Ken Potter, he can explain everything. He also has the 6th edition for sale, Phone: 1-(313)255-8907 E-mail: KPotter256@aol.com ------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • The 5th Edition was updated and reprinted as 5th Edition Volume 1 in 2007. The 6th Edition Volume 2 was released at the same time. Both were at least initially only available to members of IASAC (International Association of Silver Art Collectors). The printing were fairly small and I believe both are now of of print. An update was in the works early last year, but I am unsure if it was ever printed (again a small run of 200 was planned).
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Personally I would not purchase the book for just 100 bars. The increase in silver has erased the premiums for all but the rarest ones. Ebay is actually a good source for prices. Also if you google silver art bars there are a few dealers that specialize in them. I purchased a few hundred art bars myself this morning including one very rare coke bar.
    Archie Kidd is silverbook in gsa's link above-----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree

<< <i>Personally I would not purchase the book for just 100 bars. The increase in silver has erased the premiums for all but the rarest ones. Ebay is actually a good source for prices. Also if you google silver art bars there are a few dealers that specialize in them. I purchased a few hundred art bars myself this morning including one very rare coke bar. >>

I got the book for 109.00, I will just resell it for close to the same amount when I am finished with it----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • tizofthetizofthe Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a 1oz silver art bar website that list description of bars by refinery? I stumbled across it a year or so ago then saved it because I knew it was a tough one to find. Google searches doesn’t work either a it could be a security site?I have been looking for past month with no luck. At the top you click on the refinery such as (crown mint, USSC etc.). It shows the list of bars they made inc verities and numbers same as at index guide to art bars.

Transactions..
    wondercoin, duffman,PiecesOfMe, Smittys, LogPotato, Bumanchu, Tydye, segoja, Harry779, FullCameo, Twosidestoeverycoin, jmdm1194, rkfish, drewsef, Chrischampeo, Kaelasdad, Ahrensdad, Dabigkahuna, Barbwire, sebrown, mkman123, Gerard
  • rte592rte592 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tizofthe said:
    Does anyone know of a 1oz silver art bar website that list description of bars by refinery? I stumbled across it a year or so ago then saved it because I knew it was a tough one to find. Google searches doesn’t work either a it could be a security site?I have been looking for past month with no luck. At the top you click on the refinery such as (crown mint, USSC etc.). It shows the list of bars they made inc verities and numbers same as at index guide to art bars.

That would be the www.silverartcollector.com
    Last time I was on it was a little different and harder to navigate.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not know there was an art bar guide...well, that figures, I only have a few... and so expensive.... WOW... Well, I will just check ebay if I ever want to sell mine...nothing of great value anyway. Cheers, RickO

• Yacorie1Yacorie1 Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

I only have a few as well but did purchase about 80 1oz electrolux bars for melt back when silver was up around 26/oz. Other than that I only have a few from random deals

• tizofthetizofthe Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

rte592 = thank you very much. yep looks different to me as well.

Transactions..
    wondercoin, duffman,PiecesOfMe, Smittys, LogPotato, Bumanchu, Tydye, segoja, Harry779, FullCameo, Twosidestoeverycoin, jmdm1194, rkfish, drewsef, Chrischampeo, Kaelasdad, Ahrensdad, Dabigkahuna, Barbwire, sebrown, mkman123, Gerard