Home U.S. Coin Forum

Uncirculated details, Altered surfaces

gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

:/

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2018 8:16AM

Nice looking coin. Tell us what you see to detect the alteration. Did they tell you it is the "tail on O" Top 50!

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like polish job in front of MS liberty maybe getting rid of a scratch.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Link to max size TV.

I'm not really sure.

Collector, occasional seller

• gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Nice looking coin. Tell us what you see to detect the alteration. Did they tell you it is the "tail on O" Top 50!

I don't know what was altered, it has a look of what I think is "water damage" but I did soak in acetone before sending it in. It was sent in on last qs special and is attributed as the Vam 1C.

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

The whole 9:00 field area doesn't match the rest of the coins tonning, at least thats what I am seeing on my phone screen.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.

Looks like "1C" was eliminated (red X) and became two other VAMS. Who can possibly keep up with this stuff! Did you "Cherry" the variety or buy it already attributed?

This one did alright grading MS63

@Insider2 said:
    Looks like "1C" was eliminated (red X) and became two other VAMS. Who can possibly keep up with this stuff! Did you "Cherry" the variety or buy it already attributed?

It was a cherry I picked up some time last year.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just out of curiosity, what is with the ray across the 'B'and the 'E' in Liberty? Top of E is unlike any I've seen and does not look like pmd, at least to me. Could this be the altered surface they speak of?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at the high resolution, it appears like it was very carefully polished...?

@jesbroken said:
    Just out of curiosity, what is with the ray across the 'B'and the 'E' in Liberty? Top of E is unlike any I've seen and does not look like pmd, at least to me. Could this be the altered surface they speak of?
    Jim

I'll have to look closer when I get it back but could just be tone giving it that look...

• panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell but to me it looks like a little bit of work has been done around the jaw line.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it had something to do with the obverse rim at 4,5 and 6....O clock ?

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see it cleaned on the reverse below E Pluribus and below the chest of the bird through the word Dollar. We all see something different. I like them both regardless.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

@RogerB said:
    Not clear why someone would spend so much to have a low-end common coin authenticated and graded? All the real value is gone.

RE: "Looks like '1C' was eliminated (red X) and became two other VAMS. Who can possibly keep up with this stuff!"

This might be the fundamental flaw preventing most from participating in/enjoying Morgan and Peace dollar variety collecting. Too many minuscule "varieties" and far too many VAMS. even after mastering the steep learning curve, there's little reward for the work.

I agree about VAMS. Every die state can be a new one. This is a scarce one. The important thing is they are fun, inexpensive to "cherry," and pure numismatics. Although most do not seem to bring a premium, I look for them.

I think the entire coin market owes a debt to Van Allen and Mallis.

• The left obverse field has toning that doesn't really match the rest of the coin. Maybe a repair job was done there to cover up a scratch or bag marks?

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like dip residue. Crack it, dip it again with a weak solution and RINSE thoroughly. Should come back good... unless there is other issues not seen in TV

The more you VAM..
  • bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of the fields in the Obv and Reverse may be an old cleaning. There is parts that just don't look the same as the rest of the fields. jmo

Some interesting thoughts to consider when I can look at it in hand when I get it back.
    I may dip and try again if I really don't see anything weird, or maybe I can find another example out in the wild!

@Insider2 said:

I believe you were looking at the 1922 vam 2C extra hair.

• REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2018 6:01PM

Common as dirt coin. A variety that is hardly apparent. Our host says its been messed with.
    Sorry but three strikes and you're out. Thumbs down on this one.

But if it makes you happy, who am I to judge?

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man cuased alteration. Not natural.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not follow VAM's and know very little about them (mostly from what I see here on the forum). However, has the back of the neck been tooled? Cheers, RickO

@REALGATOR said:
    ...A variety that is hardly apparent. ...

That big blob under the O is hardly apparent? On a cent or dime that would be huge.

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like someone took an eraser to it. I also would never have sent that one in. In MS-64, it is worth 35-40 bucks.

@Wabbit2313 said:
    It looks like someone took an eraser to it. I also would never have sent that one in. In MS-64, it is worth 35-40 bucks.

Auction history says otherwise. 1923 VAM 1C

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:

@Wabbit2313 said:

Auction history says otherwise. 1923 VAM 1C

I know know why you sent it in. I stand corrected.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file