Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Should coin dealers all dress alike at shows?

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 8, 2018 7:28PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Will this make it easier for collectors to out-flank them and get to the best coins first? Would RFI chips be better?

Comments

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of them have mustard stains what more do you want???

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aren't they already dressed alike ? ;)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeans and a plaid button up shirt. My youngest son calls it the old man uniform.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the 1980s they all wore corduroy jackets. ;)

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone remember around 20 years ago when the ANA tried to require suit and ties for dealers? Man the uproar and backroom talk that caused!

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ANA should start issuing uniforms, they should have a ranking system based on seniority and accomplishments like the boy scouts and the military. We should have unifying songs to demonstrate we are all in this noble hobby together, with creeds that we regularly recite as to the honorable values and ideals we live up to. Our esteemed leaders should be saluted. All of these improvements would serve to improve morale.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2018 5:29AM

@amwldcoin said:
    Anyone remember around 20 years ago when the ANA tried to require suit and ties for dealers? Man the uproar and backroom talk that caused!

This reminds me of a funny story I heard on the browse floor back in 2011. I had a conversation about buying duplicates with two other HTT collectors and Mr. and Mrs. Jack Beymer while sitting at their table. Jack mentioned that collectors that keep duplicates consider themselves to be bulletproof, but then stated that it could be so much worse! He went on to talk about a collector back in the day when suits where worn exclusively on the browse floor that always bought five exact suits in each color. One day he came to his senses and as a nice gesture offered his other unworn suits to Jack. Problem being the fellow was about 6'-4" to 6'-6" tall and Jack is only 5'-5" :D

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well... I must admit, I did see a mustard stain once.... actually, it was a splotch of mustard and a piece of hot dog as it dropped on the individual's shirt...and the expletives that followed were much more colorful than the shirt... :D I had to walk away quickly to cover my laughter.... What was really bad was that he was alone at his table and obviously had no spare shirt.....I passed his table twice more that day - actually just to see how well the mustard was aging... His efforts to remove it resulted in a rather large, yellow, irregular caution sign....Too bad that was before the plague of camera phones....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

People who use their phones to capture pictures of others so they can laugh at them or insult them behind their back are the biggest pussilanimouses I can think of.

• Options
    edited May 9, 2018 6:18AM

If dealers all dressed the same, couldn't someone dress like one and get first dibs at ripping off the old ladies?

:D>:)o:):o;)

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:
    Easiest way to get first shot at all the best coins is to bring a decoy to the show.

An older woman holding a cigar box would lure all the dealers like she was the Pied Piper.

That's funny! We go to RV shows and I always kid my wife I am going to put an envelope in my shirt pocket that says 'Down Payment Money' on it and watch the feeding frenzy. RV dealers are often just a step above the used car salesmen depicted in old movies!

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Require the snack bars to purvey ....food!
    Problem solved. ;)

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2018 1:15PM

When I started at Yale in 1967 the whole Vietnam War/hippie revolution thing was just starting to really heat up, of course. Yale still had a coat and tie dress code for meals. One of my buddies wore a blue blazer to meals that actually looked pretty good, accompanied by a little floppy string tie and a T-shirt with the nipples cut out. Also not pretty.

Yale did away with the dress code my sophomore year (1968). Fortunately, they coeducated not long after, so the guys started trying to look better for the ladies.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not opposed to uniforms & badges, in conjunction with superhero underwear, or Huggies.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want them all in Day Glow like the Hot Dog venders at the game.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2018 11:10AM

I hope they don't because it would be boring :) we rather attend the LV trunk show for the fashion <3

@astrorat said:

@Justacommeman said:
    I’m beginning to think this whole mustard strain shirt thing is urban legend. I’ve never seen it.
    I have seen a man take his shirt off on the bourse floor to go bare chested. He hadnt seen the gym in well probably never. Not pretty. I have seen a picture of a man taking his pants off on the bourse floor. Even less pretty

Due to the above examples I certainly think shirts and pants should be worn simultaneously on the bourse floor.

m

And we wonder why the hobby can't attract more women ... ;)

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2018 11:15AM

@astrorat said

This. Come and get it. I’ve never been more thankful for the accessory known as the belt

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^^ It's just natural leather. ^^^^

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

Justacommeman -- Now that is Walmart-worthy!! :)

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they already do

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could be entirely wrong about this, but if I recall correctly, the dealer who is shown without a shirt was there during dealer set-up hours (non-public hours) and the air condition on the bourse floor was either not yet turned on or not yet effective, which made the bourse hot and muggy. I imagine he decided he could either sweat through his shirt during set-up or take the shirt off and also imagine he did not expect someone to take an image of him while working without a shirt.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens said:
    People who use their phones to capture pictures of others so they can laugh at them or insult them behind their back are the biggest pussilanimouses I can think of.

pu·sil·lan·i·mous.

[ˌpyo͞osəˈlanəməs]

ADJECTIVE
    showing a lack of courage or determination; timid.

Therefore, the above sentence not only has a spelling error, but also is, well, just plain incorrect.

An adjective has to have a noun, unless you meant the "I".

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

That guy was most likely just wiping coins on his sweaty belly before submitting for a pcgs walkthrough ;)

• Options

@Broadstruck said:
    That guy was most likely just wiping coins on his sweaty belly before submitting for a pcgs walkthrough ;)

Ahhhh...a quick lactic acid and urea dip.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:

Is that what's called puttying?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

If all dealers dress alike, and all coins are consistently graded alike, and everyone uses the same price guide then every coin will be market priced both buy and sell....!

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2018 3:35PM

@Broadstruck said:

Certainly another way to start the AT process. Especially if his diet is rich in mustard and eggs.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@ms70 said:

@Broadstruck said:

Must have been a spare tyre-ing day. Wasn't there an Indian Bengal Army revolt in 1857 over rubbing cartridges in that?

• Options

@Treashunt said:

@Azurescens said:

pu·sil·lan·i·mous.

[ˌpyo͞osəˈlanəməs]

ADJECTIVE
    showing a lack of courage or determination; timid.

Therefore, the above sentence not only has a spelling error, but also is, well, just plain incorrect.

An adjective has to have a noun, unless you meant the "I".

It's used other places to mean puss**s, I guess not here.

• Options

Was that the Confederate General in Lil Abner?

• Options
    bkzoopapabkzoopapa Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

I long for the old days when Bobby Lecce on the East coast and Ira Goldberg on the West coast set wonderful examples of how coin dealers should look. Everyone noticed, but very few copied them

• Options

@ms70 said:

@Broadstruck said:

Naw it's just sweat however Walking Liberty Halves are sure to grade higher if Miss Liberty is glistening while doing her strut ;)

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2018 8:31PM

@ms70 said:
    I JUST BOUGHT THIS!

Great to wear riding around in your Mustang. Even better in your Ferrari :o;)B)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    @astrorat said

This. Come and get it. I’ve never been more thankful for the accessory known as the belt

m

Flagged for abuse :o:'(>:):#

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    NewEnglandNotesNewEnglandNotes Posts: 260 ✭✭✭

Too many of them do dress alike now. I was at the Marlborough Mass show a few weeks ago and was looking in a case, the dealer was nowhere to be found. I asked the dealer at the next table where he was. The dealer pointed across the room and said "oh, that's so-and-so over there, balding guy in the blue shirt". There were six to pick from, so I just thanked him and went back to the table again after circling the room.

• Options

RE: "There were six to pick from, so I just thanked him and went back to the table again after circling the room."

Yep. That's the same thing sheep dogs have to do when rounding up the flock for fleecing.

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    The ANA should start issuing uniforms,

I agree . . . Prison stripes ! ! !

Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options

@halfhunter said:

@logger7 said:
    The ANA should start issuing uniforms,

I agree . . . Prison stripes ! ! !

Maybe just large " ? "

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or they could issue colored aprons like Home Depot....I'm not sure what the best color would be, silver, gold?

• Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

Wow.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file