Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Don't see many or in this case any attractive lady in coin show pictures. What would it take to....

Comments

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2018 9:00PM

Great thread!

Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WinLoseWin said:

Yeah, but they had to be "shipped" in.

@jwitten said:
    I heard there were a couple at the Long Beach show..

HA I need to pay attention. I just realized that's David Hall cutting the ribbon.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound what drew you into the hobby as a young lady? Was it a specific person? A gift? and how do we as a hobby leverage experiences like yours into new women in the hobby?

My daughter is 17 and the last thing she is interested in is coins and coin shows. She wanted to go to the Denver ANA just for the travel and shopping experience but it sure wasn't to collect coins or find a boyfriend at a coin show.

As far as young studs at coin shows...... my two boys fits that category. My oldest collected when he was in middle school but he moved on to college, work and his girlfriend. We probably won't see him back in the hobby till he is married and in his thirties in my opinion. He sold most of his collection to help pay for school and all he has left is a 1/4 filled Indian Head Cent Dansco. I am not even sure how he got hooked on these because he loved bust and seated coins as a kid. Maybe it was meeting @ThePennyLady when he was a page at the Boston ANA years ago :) My other boy is 18 and he also sold his whole collection and is on to college, girlfriend and work as well. I did get him to come to Summer FUN 2 years ago and I saw a glimmer of excitement come back but it didn't rekindle his collecting.

I look forward to your suggestions and comments. Thank you.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2018 7:58AM

I sometimes c some at Long Beach shows but for my trips out there c Cali girls go to somewhere like Spearmint Rhino in Torrance or Imperial Theatre in Anaheim (last time there my date for the evening this nice young lady who is in cheerleading at UCI). Or A guy might have a date lined up from SA spend a few days there in LA getting acquainted w the Cali lifestyle. My fav place get on 6 mo finc consulting gig. I dont shop for coins and girls at the same place anymore than NASA procures the spacecraft and fuel from the same facility.

When I go to LB show go to buy some nice material for inventory spend rest of time relaxing enjoying scenery of Cali. Compared to Houston LA a very expensive place to live but w big money one can have it all there. I would want stilt house in hills w pool and nice deck view of City and ocean or penthouse like no 40 in Eclipse Towers in GTAO (where my character has one of both). Then nice new BMW then go shopx from there. All it takes is money. GOT MONEY? I was fascinated w article in PCGS Market mag about billionaire deciding to collec $20 Libs - I think smart choice I would too.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

For all the lady coin collectors out there, I'm thinking they're wondering "where are all the good-looking men coin collectors"?

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

20-42 N 156-09 W

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just go talk to a girl :D

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

To get women to attend larger coin shows smaller coin shows need to stop smelling like wet cheesy gym socks.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    ...this is my choice of toys ;)<3>:)

@BuffalloIronTail

@Outhaul said:
    With regard to coin collectors, most women feel that you might as well be playing with trains.

What are those? They look like some kind of weapon.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

In elongated coins (squished penny) collecting, the male to female ratio is pretty equal, if the women are not in a slight majority. Join TEC (The Elongated Collectors), the national organization for this speciality. There is a website.

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Adrian found some in Costa Rica according to his pics.

• Options

@BillDugan1959 said:
    In elongated coins (squished penny) collecting, the male to female ratio is pretty equal, if the women are not in a slight majority. Join TEC (The Elongated Collectors), the national organization for this speciality. There is a website.

But thats what, 4 total people? :D

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Paradisefound said:

@BuffalloIronTail

@Outhaul said:
    With regard to coin collectors, most women feel that you might as well be playing with trains.

My guess would be "spears" of varying sizes depending on the whether you are fetching sole or yellow fin tuna for dinner [or breakfast]. :smile:
    Notice the positioning of the cable so that after spearing your prey and retrieving the cable, the 'spear' flattens out. Much better than the barb on a fishing hook.

Just my humble educated? guess :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ACop The total membership of TEC is presently about 5% of the total membership of the ANA and there is considerable overlap between TEC membership and ANA membership.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rare Coin Wholesalers has had some stunning women taking care their booth at some of major shows.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillDugan1959 said:
    @ACop The total membership of TEC is presently about 5% of the total membership of the ANA and there is considerable overlap between TEC membership and ANA membership.

That's quite surprising TBH.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2018 2:20PM

@PerryHall said:

@Paradisefound said:

@BuffalloIronTail

@Outhaul said:

Spear fishing points I think.

Edit: Boston beat me to it. :)

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

@PerryHall said:

@Paradisefound said:

@BuffalloIronTail

@Outhaul said:

My guess would be "spears" of varying sizes depending on the whether you are fetching sole or yellow fin tuna for dinner [or breakfast]. :smile:
    Notice the positioning of the cable so that after spearing your prey and retrieving the cable, the 'spear' flattens out. Much better than the barb on a fishing hook.

Just my humble educated? guess :smile:

That was my exact thoughts. The base is hollow so the spear head can fit on the end of a shaft. Once the fish, shark, whale or other sea creature is speared the shaft can be pulled free and the cable can be used to pull in the fish.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL! I bet they are for knitting Yarn.

@PerryHall said:

@Paradisefound said:

@BuffalloIronTail

@Outhaul said:

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2018 3:00PM

@BillDugan1959 said:

Anecdotally, I have seen quite a few female elongators of varying ages at the machines I have passed by (or even stopped at myself). It would actually be fascinating to know why they find elongateds so interesting where they often do not find coins in general to be interesting.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2018 11:32PM

@jwitten said:
    I heard there were a couple at the Long Beach show..

Seriously, if this was the image to attract younger generation, it would be disturbing. Forget about the young ladies who would feel uncomfortable hanging around with older men cheerfully next to teen girls in tight outfit, even the younger lads would not associate themselves into this age group of 50's + with captain/ sailor outfits.

If it was up to me, I would had chosen these images below.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2018 10:08PM

Both of you are right on the tip :) it's part of my speargun... >:)

penetrate, disengage and toggle

@amwldcoin
    @Insider2 said:
    @PerryHall said:
    Spear fishing points I think.

Edit: Boston beat me to it. :)

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bigmountainlion said:
    If you want to meet women, forget about collecting coins, try cooking, gardening, knitting shows. Probably 80% women. Most women have no interest in coins, probably turned off if you collects them.

Not sure about that. Momma certainly seems to like those Au 1oz'ers

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin collecting is a sausagefest. Plain and simple. Women like spending their money on things other than other money.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2018 9:54PM

I'd better NOT "talk" to a girl ;) ....cause I am ONE

*stock photo
    @blitzdude
    @bigmountainlion
    @crazyhounddog said:
    ust go talk to a girl :D

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

But......you’re literally on an Island. Come to a F.U.N or even a Long Beach Show. I think you would be surprised by the crowds/ volume of people. It might raise an eyebrow. Plus, the internet masks the sheer number of collectors as well.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2018 9:41PM

@hchcoin
    I started collecting late last year; mostly because I see the need to diversify my folios.
    Investing in the precious metal segments of the market is boring and I don't see much uptick on the sector (mining stocks etc)....and beside the coin collecting is more fun for the same or better return.
    My friends whom well positioned young professional ladies thought I have showing a sign of "getting old' by going into coin collecting and I actually "agreed" with them because.....
    Honestly I do not see any innovative nor clever approach by US Mint and others to capture young / younger audience in this fading away hobby :|
    See what happened to stamp collecting :/ My Dad left me thousand of old stamps from countries no longer on the world map.....yet these are almost worthless :( due to diminished interest.

• Options
    edited May 1, 2018 10:13PM

I <3 U
    I'll put you up in Fourseasons Resort at Wailea when you come further South from Mexico :) Just let me know...
    @Justacommeman

• Options

@Paradisefound said:

*stock photo
    @bigmountainlion
    @crazyhounddog said:

Where do you holster your speargun when you wear yours?

• Options
    edited May 1, 2018 9:56PM

Left for Left handed trig....
    @ACop said:
    Where do you holster your speargun when you wear yours?

• Options

Coin cruise! World coin collection tour! Even the cousins will want tickets. :D

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2018 10:12PM

@Cougar1978 said:
    I sometimes c some at Long Beach shows but for my trips out there c Cali girls go to somewhere like Spearmint Rhino in Torrance or Imperial Theatre in Anaheim (last time there my date for the evening this nice young lady who is in cheerleading at UCI). Or I might have date lined up from SA spend a few days there in LA getting acquainted w the Cali lifestyle. My fav place get on 6 mo finc consulting gig. I dont shop for coins and girls at the same place anymore than NASA procures the spacecraft and fuel from the same facility.

When I go to LB show go to buy some nice material for inventory spend rest of time relaxing enjoying scenery of Cali. Compared to Houston LA a very expensive place to live but w big money one can have it all there. I would want stilt house in hills w pool and nice deck view of City and ocean or penthouse like no 40 in Eclipse Towers in GTAO (where my character has one of both). Then nice new BMW then go shopx from there. All it takes is money. GOT MONEY? I was fascinated w article in PCGS Market mag about billionaire deciding to collec $20 Libs - I think smart choice I would too.

HUMM???????????HUH??????WHAT????????????O.K.????????HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@Cougar1978 said:
    I sometimes c some at Long Beach shows but for my trips out there c Cali girls go to somewhere like Spearmint Rhino in Torrance or Imperial Theatre in Anaheim (last time there my date for the evening this nice young lady who is in cheerleading at UCI). Or I might have date lined up from SA spend a few days there in LA getting acquainted w the Cali lifestyle. My fav place get on 6 mo finc consulting gig. I dont shop for coins and girls at the same place anymore than NASA procures the spacecraft and fuel from the same facility.

Sounds vaguely like an episode of Sex And The City. :)

• Options
    edited May 1, 2018 10:40PM

You lost me now.....Wait a minute...what time is it over where you are? behave & gnight >:)

@1Mike1 said:
    @Hydrant said:
    @Cougar1978 said:
    Sounds vaguely like an episode of Sex And The City. :)

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

What island are you on @Paradisefound ?

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

What would it take to....

Better looking coin dealers?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ACop said:
    Adrian found some in Costa Rica according to his pics.

I'll bet you it Costa him plenty to go there.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

@MANOFCOINS said:

@mannie gray said:

@MANOFCOINS said:
    I love this thread. You get some attractive young men at the shows and the women will eventually show up. Not likely until average age of the mails drops by 2-3 decades

I know that recently I have had some delays in packages being delivered, but several decades would be unacceptable to most impatient buyers.

I saw that was hoping no one would notice :p

You don't know how true that is.............................

Pete

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2018 7:54AM

I wish there were more women in the numismatics. However they are more interested in people than things (like coins) for the most part.

Interesting enough coin collecting is listed as an example one of the type of obsessions in diagnosing AS. Warning: overly discussing your coins with a girl your trying impress may cause her suspect you have AS. Furthermore a wife will ask how your show went like how money did you make - bad idea discuss newps.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:

*stock photo
    @blitzdude
    @bigmountainlion
    @crazyhounddog said:

:love: That picture!

• Options
    edited May 2, 2018 9:54AM

Maui :)

@SurfinxHI said:
    What island are you on @Paradisefound ?

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you are in the Oahu neighborhood, drop by and say hi!

And come over for the HNL coin show!

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

The photo of Paradisefound in her wetsuit with her spear is way hotter than the hula shot, not saying that ain't hot either.

It shows a strong adventurous woman with a free spirit .....

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:

Okay, okay. I can take a hint. I'll get into the business and rent a table at the next show. But can you guarantee me better looking customers?

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@Treashunt said:

Okay, okay. I can take a hint. I'll get into the business and rent a table at the next show. But can you guarantee me better looking customers?

Don't push your luck.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

I taught you was froma de islands. Neva neva been dare. Spear fishing? We do dat by Lake a Michigan.

State of Indiana where I from. Near Bang bang Chicago Capone land.

No need sport. Fish just wash up on beach.

Pete

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file