Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Don't see many or in this case any attractive lady in coin show pictures. What would it take to....

ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 29, 2018 9:25PM in U.S. Coin Forum

What would it take to entice more young successful females to become coin collectors? I do not see many attractive young ladies attending those coin shows from the pictures I observed. Would be nice if I can meet those alike; having pre-show cocktails and having (girls) coin talk when I attend my 1st...LB next year.
Coin show pictures always seem so dull & boring but I am sure gentlemen are having a ball.....

Comments

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know if you go to Long Beach you need to shift gears and go out to see some night life don't get stuck in the same old thing like the old collecting group, go out on the town have fun. Don't be a stick in the mud it does not need to be coins 24/7 it's a hobby live your life have fun you need to go look for it just like coins. If your fishing you go to water if your looking for coins you go to a coin shop or show, so if you are looking for some thing else go out there and look for it in the right place there is a lot of night life out there have fun but be safe.

This is most of are lives if full speed.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

@Type2
    Most my of girlfriends lives in either Manhattan Beach up to Marina del Rey and none of them likes coins....so I am hoping to meet up with other ladies as new friends in this endeavor. This is my typical bar scene I doubt would awaits me in LB..

• Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2018 10:07PM

I thought I saw Gunny there in your photo (back to camera) but then I see that he just passed?!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Lee_Ermey

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you’ll have more luck solving the cats & dogs thing.

• Options

Take a look around you may hook one, Good luck.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) !!!

Timbuk3
  • Options

@TommyType said:
    To be fair, I have a feeling that most women would complain about there not being any attractive men at a coin show, either. :neutral:

What are you talking about put one of them young bucks in the pic above in a new home and those females will be all over him like a lamp shade they will fight over him if he has a hart beat. :o

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2018 11:15PM

Most hot chicks dont have hobbies or interests. I took a girl I was seeing to the last Whitman in Philly 5 years ago. She had a mildly good time and even bought an Italian coin(she was italian, probably still is). We met Todd and The Penny Lady while on the floor when I dropped my coins of for images. But I doubt she would ever go to a coin show on her own or with the girls.

6-7 years ago I went to the NYC World coin show. There was a beautiful girl working one of the tables. I was browsing some coins at the table next to her. I overheard her tell someone her collecting niche was toned Peace dollars and world Crowns. Literally all I was collecting at the time. I instantly fell in love, and had my whole arsenal of toned peace dollars in my backpack to make an attempt to woo her with my treasures. But alas I was in a bad place at the time and didn't even say hello.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

you will typically see one thing at ANY coin show, white men aged 40+ and little more. women and minorities will be almost totally absent. it has always been like that and an effort to change it will fail. like Al Stewart so eloquently wrote many years ago, "Nothing that's forced can ever be right, if it doesn't come naturally leave it."

so it is with women and Numismatics.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound ....Check in with Charmy (ThePennyLady)... She knows most of the young, attractive females at coin shows... and all of the males :D ... as well as all the good restaurants in the area. Most of the attractive females at coin shows, work at the TPG's or large dealers. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

They would probably line up to meet the serious bidders for the 1913 V nickel that Heritage is auctioning.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's only proving that the ladies own the smarts. ;)

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

There has been an organization since the early 1990's that might be a link towards what you are looking for.

About WIN - Women in Numismatics

womeninnumismatics.com/about-win-2/

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound

Join Women in Numismatics. If you are interested in a numismatic profession, bring some resumes and drop them at Heritage, PCGS, etc. Additionally, Introduce yourself to some of the young women at the show, and tell them you are alone in the big city at your first coin show and let one or two of them that you connect with take you out on the town with their group.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Women seem to like gold and silver coins, but prefer them in a ring or necklace to a slab. The study of history is more popular with men than women, maybe that's part of it.

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's really hard to take this subject head-on without sounding like (or being) a misogynist. That being said, I wonder how many women ask the OP's same question around traditionally female-centric endevours?

I think it was the Ram's linebacker Rosie Grier who made knitting cool (or at least not public beatdown-worthy) for men, but I don't recall the question ever being asked on how to inspire more male inclusion.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just my experience. Most seem to be at Car shows, Vegas, the River or the Beach. My Wife says loves coins. Rick Tomaska's coin show is on every night for eye candy. Maybe she just puts up with me. hehe

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    You will see more man boobs then the regular variety at most coin shows.

m

Like I said...

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you play for both teams, you don’t have that problem. If you catch my drift.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul said:
    With regard to coin collectors, most women feel that you might as well be playing with trains.

GEEZE.............I though I was the only one.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see many ladies are into "carving" too.

• Options
    edited April 30, 2018 10:52AM

...this is my choice of toys ;)<3>:)

@BuffalloIronTail

@Outhaul said:
    With regard to coin collectors, most women feel that you might as well be playing with trains.

• Options

@Outhaul
    ....sail it down to the warm water....I will secure a berth & riffe the big YFT for you! :) Seriously <3

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    @Outhaul
    ....sail it down to the warm water....I will secure a berth & riffe the big YFT for you! :) Seriously <3

Where to?

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2018 6:36PM

Gone sailing.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul said:

I collect Post-War Lionel too...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    @Type2
    Most my of girlfriends lives in either Manhattan Beach up to Marina del Rey and none of them likes coins....so I am hoping to meet up with other ladies as new friends in this endeavor. This is my typical bar scene I doubt would awaits me in LB..

First, we do whatever it takes to get this crew to attend some shows.

Then, we will see lots of new, younger types get into coin collecting.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2018 3:29PM

@Paradisefound said:
    What would it take to entice more young successful females to become coin collectors? I do not see many attractive young ladies attending those coin shows from the pictures I observed. Would be nice if I can meet those alike; having pre-show cocktails and having (girls) coin talk when I attend my 1st...LB next year.
    Coin show pictures always seem so dull & boring but I am sure gentlemen are having a ball.....

Lets see, in order to attract young ladies to our community, we must first bring in more young studs. And the easiest and cost effective way is to hire some hot girls to the events at the ratio 1: 300 (hot girl vs.potential buyers ) just like any electronic and car show. :D

It is actually a very simple concept of " Sex sells" and easily achieve. However some will oppose since most of collectors are use to the old coin show/events culture.

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    @Type2

Which one is you? Bring the whole gang to the coin show. Martinis and all.

• Options
    1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

I thought Dangle preferred men > @ACop said:

@Paradisefound said:
    @Type2

Which one is you? Bring the whole gang to the coin show. Martinis and all.

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2018 5:11PM

Oh man, I just learned what Incel (involuntarily celibate) was this week. Then this thread appears

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BlindedByEgo said:
    It's really hard to take this subject head-on without sounding like (or being) a misogynist. That being said, I wonder how many women ask the OP's same question around traditionally female-centric endevours?

I think it was the Ram's linebacker Rosie Grier who made knitting cool (or at least not public beatdown-worthy) for men, but I don't recall the question ever being asked on how to inspire more male inclusion.

I had to laugh a little here, 20 or so years ago when I was in my prime, my ex wife dragged me to a 200 booth quilt/sewing event. I have never been ogled or pinched so much in my life as that day. I ended up with invitations to every quilt club in 250 miles, got talked into about $1000 of machinery for the ex, and told myself if I was ever single again and saw a quilt show I was going.

Fast forward 20 years to my current wife and just a few months ago I got a babysitter and took her to set up at a local show. She had never been to one with me selling or buying. I'd say she is very attractive and after an hour asked me if the customers are always this talkative as they were with her. I just laughed and said no. By the end of the show she said she felt like a booth babe at a car show and a bit creeped out. I had a 10/1 visitor ratio of those asking about my wife versus my coins.

But honestly, although there aren't many females on either side of the table at shows, I don't think the attractiveness factor is any different than a sampling of those I see in the grocery store. I treat them all the same, ask their interests and talk coins. It took bringing my wife with me to notice how some folks don't do that and can make some females uncomfortable at a predominantly male venue.

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard there were a couple at the Long Beach show..

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    you will typically see one thing at ANY coin show, white men aged 40+ and little more. women and minorities will be almost totally absent. it has always been like that and an effort to change it will fail. like Al Stewart so eloquently wrote many years ago, "Nothing that's forced can ever be right, if it doesn't come naturally leave it."

so it is with women and Numismatics.

Certainly helps shed some light on the political climate on this board as well. It's all starting to make sense now. lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, but they had to be "shipped" in.

@jwitten said:
    I heard there were a couple at the Long Beach show..

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    edited May 1, 2018 9:56AM

N 20 - 47' 45"
    W 150 - 29' 26"

Are you still cruising the Keys?

1. > @Outhaul said:

@Paradisefound said:
    @Outhaul

Where to?

• Options
    edited April 30, 2018 11:09PM

:o Have a few great ideas but given the current PC world...it may not be good to speak my mind out loud :|

@BlindedByEgo said:

• Options

If you want to meet women, forget about collecting coins, try cooking, gardening, knitting shows. Probably 80% women. Most women have no interest in coins, probably turned off if you collects them.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

People have different ideas of fun and this IS a hobby for most.

I just don't get the idea behind trying to get certain genders into something, almost by force. If they are interested, or like it, by all means, encourage them. However, if they aren't interested, because they like shopping for clothes, going out dancing, going to the gun range to shoot some rounds, or whatever any certain ladies like, then that's what they want to do for fun.

My wife, who many would consider very attractive, has been to some shows with me. I can get her to go, but it isn't fun for her. And, you know what, shopping or gabbing at happy hour, which she likes to do, isn't fun for me. So, I have her do her fun stuff with her sisters and girlfriends and I do coinshows by myself and/or show up to chat with local show junkies like LakeSamm, Swampboy, and SeattleSlammer.

I also like to play basketball at the gym. Know how many women show up to play with a bunch of sweaty guys? So far only the women trainers at the gym, and only when there is downtime for them and they have nothing better to do. There are a lot more women who play sports, and basketball, than there seem to be around coinshows, but the theme is still true....it isn't what a lot of women like to do.

Of course, I tend to look at coinshows like I view a lot of things....gender agnostic. I go by the person and if they are fun to be around and trustworthy. If they aren't, I don't care to be around them....even if it is a hot woman.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file