Home U.S. Coin Forum

How realistic does this coin animation look to the coin experts?

DreamLightDreamLight Posts: 12
edited April 26, 2018 10:00PM in U.S. Coin Forum

As a 3D animator I'm looking for feedback from coin experts to assess the realism of the coin texture, motion, sound, etc. Primarily for the first part of the animation of the coins on the table. Here's a link to the coin animation.

How realistic does this coin animation look to the coin experts?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• DreamLightDreamLight Posts: 12
    edited April 26, 2018 10:23PM

Here's the coin animation that I'm asking about in the poll. Please feel free to add comments on what may or may not look realistic from a coin expert's point of view. This feedback will help me improve the realism in future coin animations. Also, what do you think of the overall concept? Thank you!

">

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somewhat Realistic

The transition is distracting going from a table where you can see reflections from a window to a pot of gold and some of the coins look like they float up instead of down and the coins vibrate a lot. Otherwise its much better than I have ever done, but I'm not a 3d animator. :)

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Mostly Realistic

I say "close enough."

• @ms70 said:

@DreamLight said:
    .....I'm looking for feedback from coin experts to asses

Jackpot. You came to the right place.

LOL! Oops. Sorry about the typo. Fixed.

• Josh32Josh32 Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    Highly Realistic

I think the rendering of the actual coins is very good and realistic. Their movements may be able to be tweaked a bit in my opinion. There is something about the timing between the transitions of the spinning that seem to quick. But I am sure you are under some sort of time constraints for this and I know how it can be to fit all of your effects in a certain amount of time. Being a graphic designer and having taken animation classes in the past, I can say you did a very good job. This kind of stuff is not easy to do at all.

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looked really good! Sound wise I’m curious as I’ve never dropped a gold coin on a table, if you used an actual gold coin for the sound effect.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mostly Realistic

I think the video is realistic - but I have to say I cringed a bit once the coins started dropping on each other.

I also think the audio is mostly realistic. I would have thought that gold coins would make more of a thud. Sounds more like silver to me (but not quite).

But overall, i think it is pretty well done.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

edited April 27, 2018 6:50AM

Thanks guys!

Yes I did use real coins as resources. I borrowed two sample gold eagles to use for research. I recorded the audio of a number of single drops on the table and on the other coin. They were bullion coins rather than collectibles so the owner was OK with some drops to record the audio. Then I timed them to the animation as closely as I could, especially at the beginning when there are only a few coins. Once the jackpot starts I didn't need to be so precise with the timing. Even though it's recorded from real coins sometimes the mic may not pick up the sound as accurately as you would hope.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mostly Realistic

Overall, I would say mostly realistic... there is, for the sharp eye, some strange coin movement at points in the video. Of course, in general, dropping gold coins makes collectors cringe. For the most part, your message comes through.... I have no idea how such a complex video is achieved, so, to me, it is amazing. Cheers, RickO

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2018 8:48AM
    Somewhat Realistic

While your video looks good, when I buy a gold Eagle I expect that it will have been handled with care by someone with gloves on. Even though it is only bullion, I don't want it to arrive with bag marks and dings. Your video leads the buyer to believe that their coin will arrive in less than ideal condition. Just a thought.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mostly Realistic

The effect works. No doubt. No coins were harmed in the shooting of the video.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • @BuffaloIronTail said:

Pete

Thanks Pete!

I've added the following note to the web page for the video and can add it to the actual branded video if any dealer so wishes. LOL!

NOTE: No coins were harmed during the creation of this Telebites CGI Viral Video Ad. ;-)

edited April 27, 2018 10:46AM

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Pete

Thanks Guys!

I've added the following note to the web page for the video and can even add it to the actual branded video if any dealer so wishes. LOL!

NOTE: No coins were harmed during the creation of this Telebites CGI Viral Video Ad. ;)

BTW: The ad is targeted to the typical social media user who generally has no idea about coins and certainly has no idea about bullion vs. numismatic etc. So they shouldn't be put off by the coins raining down on the pile as it is intended to invoke the exciting feeling of hitting the jackpot, in gold coins. It's intended to grab their attention in the middle of their social media feed and bring them to your website.

So it's primarily targeted to new customers. If I were creating one to target existing coin customers who are more familiar with purchasing and handling coins I would take a completely different approach. I may do such a piece in the future if there is enough interest.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2018 11:03AM
    Slightly Realistic

Basic rendering is good. Animation is faulty both in mimicking physical movement of the coins and in the interactions between stacked layers. (Should be dynamic layers not static for stacking.) The animation rate also appears to be about 24 vs 32 fps base.

It's a good start but not ready to market or sell.

• @ricko said:
    Overall, I would say mostly realistic... there is, for the sharp eye, some strange coin movement at points in the video. Of course, in general, dropping gold coins makes collectors cringe. For the most part, your message comes through.... I have no idea how such a complex video is achieved, so, to me, it is amazing. Cheers, RickO

Thanks ricko!

As for how such a complex video is achieved, I've posted some behind the scenes content that shows part of the process for those who may be interested in how it was created. From modeling through texturing, animating and rendering.

">

http://dreamlight.com/portfolio/cgi-viral-video-ad-heads-or-tails/

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mostly Realistic

I'm not well versed enough in 3D animation to critique the intricacies of your video production, but as a casual viewer I think the message that you are trying to convey is well received and well done.

What i got out of it was: To Basically start stacking and one coin can turn into many. People can always find fault in anything, but let them try sitting in front of thier monitor and produce something close to this quality. Then post for use to see. I have a feeling we won't see too many coming anytime soon.

Great job, and keep sharing your vids. Nice work!!

One more thing, don't worry about the pixels bouncing of one another, they don't cause hairlines, I promise.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Mostly Realistic

I, for one, like your video. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for an ad.

• coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Mostly Realistic

@DreamLight said:

" I'm looking for feedback from coin experts to asses..."

You nailed it. ;)

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

The look is good but I suspect the sound is bad. I have never had that many struck gold pieces to hear the tone of the ring when dropped. Silver dollars would have a higher pitch and a ring like a bell. The sound your coins in the animation make are a thud like poured counterfeits rather than struck coins.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mostly Realistic

@DreamLight...Thank you for your link which showed the major steps in the production of a 3D video. Very complex for the untrained. Once again, great job. Cheers, RickO

• @davewesen said:
    The look is good but I suspect the sound is bad. I have never had that many struck gold pieces to hear the tone of the ring when dropped. Silver dollars would have a higher pitch and a ring like a bell. The sound your coins in the animation make are a thud like poured counterfeits rather than struck coins.

When I recorded the sound, the mic stand was on the table and may have picked up more of the thud sound from the table vibrations than it otherwise would have.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I say it is excellent work and would not change a thing.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great job.In my opinion the main point of any animation is to be believeable and get the creator's point across. I think you did very well with both goals. Congrats and send us more. BTW, what program are you utilizing? Maya, maybe. My son uses maya for his design projects. Again thanks for sharing.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • @topstuf said:
    I say it is excellent work and would not change a thing.

Thanks Topstuf! Very much appreciated!

• @jesbroken said:
    Great job.In my opinion the main point of any animation is to be believeable and get the creator's point across. I think you did very well with both goals. Congrats and send us more. BTW, what program are you utilizing? Maya, maybe. My son uses maya for his design projects. Again thanks for sharing.
    Jim

Thanks Jim!

Since you asked for more, here's one I did before this one – Trick Shot. That one was not coins but uses a similar metaphorical magic trick approach to get the point across. If there's enough interest I may do another one for numismatic dealers where Heads or Tails was primarily for bullion dealers.

As for what program I'm using, I've used many over the decades. On this project I used modo for modeling, LightWave 3D for texturing/animating/rendering and my own DreamLight Constellation for network rendering.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks good. The new programs I'm not familiar with. I used canoma, flash, 3d Rendering. Wireframe and various other long outdated programs. I'm 70 so no longer my cup of tea. I used to make virtual coin albums(mostly dansco) Probably nearly a hundred for forum members. But now I don't seem to have the impetus. My son is quite talented in this regard. He has a couple of his own comics, Abiding Perdition and Scorn. He sold AP to Sony but they haven't done anything with it. Thanks for your post.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • @jesbroken said:
    Looks good. The new programs I'm not familiar with. I used canoma, flash, 3d Rendering. Wireframe and various other long outdated programs. I'm 70 so no longer my cup of tea. I used to make virtual coin albums(mostly dansco) Probably nearly a hundred for forum members. But now I don't seem to have the impetus. My son is quite talented in this regard. He has a couple of his own comics, Abiding Perdition and Scorn. He sold AP to Sony but they haven't done anything with it. Thanks for your post.
    Jim

Cool!

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Highly Realistic

I’m amazed.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2018 9:55PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM-_XaBVneE
    It reminded me of this classic demonstration of a chain reaction.

• Thanks guys!

That chain reaction video would have been even better if the camera pulled back and all those flying ping pong balls became the carbonated bubbles in a glass of Pepsi.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file