Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

time travel for the coin collector

davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you could make a trip to any year and location ONCE, with a 6 oz chunk of gold to exchange for $100 face in coinage, what year and location would you choose? You would then return to present day after your trip...

Comments

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2018 11:00AM

Philadelphia mint. 1815. Before the fire.

• Options
    1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2018 10:48AM

1921 to buy peace dollars! when can we go

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2018 11:09AM

Early 1909 in San Francisco. ( 1909-S VDB Lincoln cent )

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭✭✭

Late 1916, Id buy a roll of quarters and dimes!

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

1932, to buy the Washie quarters, plus dimes/quarters from 1916, Peace $1's from 1921, and 1909s-vdb cents (along with whatever key & semi-key dates I could still afford before my allotment ran out.....). Might as well try and kill many birds with 1 stone...............

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2018 11:19AM

1893 to the San Francisco mint to pick up 5 rolls of new silver dollars minted there.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

1921 to buy MS rolls of 1921-S, 1921-D & 1921 P Walkers. I'd also pick up some Peace dollars while I'm there. ;)

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

1895 for proof morgans.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with 1795. It would be a great time to pick up a little of everything from the first 4 years!

• Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like some of the dates already listed. But I'd stick around here in Denver in 1927, for 5 '27-D double eagles!

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

1793 ms 65 large cents!!!

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

1793 sounds good. Disregarding the paradox that would be caused by interaction with folks of that era. But that is a whole other kettle of fish.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

1907 to pick up several newly minted St Gaudens high reliefs

• Options

@privatecoin said:
    1895 for proof morgans.

Why wouldn't you ask around and get uncirculated ones?

• Options

@Jimnight said:
    Early 1909 in San Francisco. ( 1909-S VDB Lincoln cent )

The Indianhead cents would be nice as well, and maybe they had some proof Lincolns sitting around.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

1955 Boston. I'd get $100 in quarters, buy 400 packs of smokes from the nearest vending machine, through them in the trash and hopefully end up with 800 1955 DDO Lincoln cents.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Philadelphia mint. 1815. Before the fire.

Sounds about right. Pick up high grades of every denomination.

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2018 2:09PM

I'd have to pick between:
    1870, San Francisco, for half dimes, Seated dollars, and $3 gold pieces,
    1873, Carson City, for No Arrows dimes and No Arrows quarters, or
    1873, San Francisco, for No Arrows half dollars and Seated dollars.

Given that both 1873-S NA half dollars and 1873-S Seated dollars are known to have been minted, and none are known to exist, I would make that my pick.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options

Philadelphia mint. 1815> @tommy44 said:

1955 Boston. I'd get $100 in quarters, buy 400 packs of smokes from the nearest vending machine, through them in the trash and hopefully end up with 800 1955 DDO Lincoln cents.

And... you could drop by Fenway Park to see the Red Sox. Not all that bad in '55. Fourth place. The "Splindid Splinter" was the best. All time. Does anyone remember Harry Agganis? What a loss. R.I.P.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2018 2:39PM

@davewesen said:
    The Indianhead cents would be nice as well, and maybe they had some proof Lincolns sitting around.

Agreed...maybe get the best of both!! PS.. may as well grab some rolls of the 1909-S lincoln cents too.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chicago, Dec 30th 1903. I’d stop by the Iroquois Theater with a non-faulty stage light then go to the bank and get $100 in cents. Then I’d have fun for the next year going through them all.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

The spring of 1793 in Philadelphia to get a Chain Ameri. Cent in Unc. and that a fast exit to avoid the yellow fever epidemic that came late that summer.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you spent your $100 on something with a low face value, such as 1873-CC No Arrows dimes, you would bring back 1,000 of them and flood the market. Better something with a high face value and just get a few of them so as to not make waves.

How about 1798 and an assortment of the 1795, 1797 and 1798 gold struck in that year, and hope that they have a couple of 1796 quarter eagles sitting around to boot!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CaptainBluntCaptainBlunt Posts: 182 ✭✭✭

The summer of 1861 and I am in Georgia Gulch, Colorado Territory, visiting the private mint
    of J.J. Conway & Co. I would obtain examples of his $10, $5, and $2 1/2 gold pieces...

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Previous years coinage. Then 96 quarters, 96 and 97 halves.

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Batman23 said:
    I agree with 1795. It would be a great time to pick up a little of everything from the first 4 years.

I like the ideas posted, but you could get a lot of small change with $100!

• Options

1838 Charlotte, then ride a horse to Dahlonega, GA

New Collector
  • Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CCGGG said:
    1893 to the San Francisco mint to pick up 5 rolls of new silver dollars minted there.

I'd sign up for that.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2018 8:59PM

A 6oz chunk of gold would get me $120 face of Double Eagles. So I'd have to leave one behind?

Aside from that thought...... I'd go to 1792 and get all the Half Dismes I could. They could keep the change.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2018 9:01PM

1921 to SF and back to HI <3;) or continue on to NY to visit @ricko then back.... ;)

• Options
    edited April 29, 2018 10:10AM

I've given this whole time travel thing and Coin collecting bit a lot of thought since I was a little kid. It is after all something an 8 year old would give consideration to. But....there's a glitch. Think about it. If for instance, I was to go back in time to the Philadelphia mint in early 1815, And I bought a whole bag of 1815 half dollars and then I brought them and me back to the 20th Century, there's a problem. And the problem is this; Collectors would have empty holes in their coin albums because I have their coins. Think about all the empty slabs that did have 1815 half dollars in them but now I have them. Think about it.

• Options
    1940coupe1940coupe Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭

to keep from messing anything up you would need enough time to try and go to work at mint and make extra coins but then you would put someone out of work so I dont know ?

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

This could easily disrupt the space/time continuum, so let's be careful.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am going to around AD 30 during the reign of Tiberius in Jerusalem. I'd grab a few coins but I got someone else I want to meet :wink: I think they wrote a best selling book about him.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking into that kettle of fish I mentioned above there is only one way to have no consequences going back in time. That is to observe only and not be observed. Any change, no matter how small, you introduce would ripple forward causing un-imagined chaos. Every coin, or anything for that mater, you bring back would not be there for a great, great, etc, etc. relative of somebody to possess. And that would be disastrous going forward. So you could only look, not touch or be seen.

Then there is the popping into existence back then. Remember your grade school science: two things can not occupy the same space at the same time. Air is a thing as is your body. Talk about a big bang if you tried.

The Earth is orbiting the Sun, which is orbiting the Milky Way, which is moving through space. All these past positions would have to be calculated with extreme accuracy or you would pop into empty space. Or the center of a star.

That kettle of fish is starting to smell a little. Complicated? Yes, very.

Aluminum back then was worth more than gold. Very difficult to purify without electricity. A $100 of Aluminum today would be worth 100's of times of gold back then. But you'd mess up much more if you did that. Observe only and not be observed. No interaction of any kind. Your dress and speech would be totally alien and you would be feared. Probably killed.

• Options
    Josh32Josh32 Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

I think the only way to do this without interrupting anything in the present would be to watch all the people in the past who dropped valuable coins on the ground and then go to the spots to dig them up in the present. No collectors would suddenly have missing holes in their books because all of these coins are still out there to be found, even today. Ship wrecks would be an interesting one as well, watching them sink in the past and tracking their exact locations to the present.

Going back in time and getting instant knowledge of the location of every valuable coin that has ever been lost would be the way to do it.

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2018 10:57PM

@CaptHenway said:
    If you spent your $100 on something with a low face value, such as 1873-CC No Arrows dimes, you would bring back 1,000 of them and flood the market. Better something with a high face value and just get a few of them so as to not make waves.

How about 1798 and an assortment of the 1795, 1797 and 1798 gold struck in that year, and hope that they have a couple of 1796 quarter eagles sitting around to boot!

Precisely this... Which is why I would go to 1893 San Francisco and pick up (50) Dimes, (40) Quarters, (20) Halves, (40) Dollars, (1) Half Eagle, (1) Eagle and (1) Double Eagle. I'd then come back and sort through the coins and separate them out from highest to lowest grade. I would send in 10 of each of the lowest grade silver coins each year and the gold coins the first year for grading. Slowly introducing them to the market lowest grades first working up to the highest grades. I would keep the highest grade of each denomination to make a complete 1893-S Dime through Double Eagle set as a trophy.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2018 12:20AM

...ripples on the fabric of universe?
    ...here is the lighter part of the equation ;)

and I do <3 Olivia

now let's go through the black hole N possibly back
    @Kudbegud
    @ms70
    @1Mike1

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going back in time would be for me more about historical events and not coins. It would be awesome to see some of the key coins in mint state condition being handed out in transactions. It would be mind blowing to watch Lincoln give his Gettysburg address. Or watch Washington be sworn in. Or watch some ancestors get off the boat in Boston 1632. Maybe go back to the late 60s early 70s to pick up a nice muscle car would be more my wish but if I had to pick a coin I'd select 14d Lincoln or one of those 33 gold eagles that aren't supposed to exist.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put me on the steps of the San Francisco Mint in 1854 and I would scarf up some 1854-S 2+1/2's and $5's!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

1916 - Denver Mint - Give me $100 in Dimes please. :)B)

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

1955......................10,000 1955/55 to bring back and sell ever so slowly :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

You would be far better off trading your 6 oz of gold for stock in certain corporations at certain times. Done correctly, this could turn your investment into hundreds of millions or even billions....... Then, you could come back and assemble any collection you desired.

Of course, stuck with your parameters, I'd show up sometime around 1799. $100 face would buy a huge quantity of small-denomination silver and a few small-eagle gold pieces to round it out.

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Very good thread, 1895 san francisco, get some new dollars, halves and quarters and see if any 93's are still hanging around

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the above are interesting numismatic opportunities... Being the maverick that I am (mav e rick, get it?)....I would go to Denver, 1964, and get a newly minted '64D Peace Dollar - or two or three, not a lot...Then return in time to meet @Paradisefound and give her one.... quietly sell another and keep one for myself. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

44 BC for some Eid mar denarii. See what else I can find and bring back.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2019 4:18AM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file